Cleaning translated files to retrieve original
Thread poster: cailin
cailin
cailin
German to English
+ ...
Feb 7, 2003

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any tricks on how to retrieve the original text from a BAK file. I know when you clean a translated Word doc. you are supposed to be left with just the translation in that Word doc. and the bilingual segments remain in the BAK file. But is there any way (apart from copying and pasting the original segment by segment) of separating it from the translation?

Thanks

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:13
English to German
+ ...
Use "Search and Replace" Feb 7, 2003

Two solutions I can think of:

You could go through the document, opening each segment and using the \"Restore Source\" command on each. Not that bad if you use the keyboard shortcuts, but not a real solution for a large document.

Alternatively, why don\'t you use \"Search and Replace\", first searching for characters formatted in the target language and replacing them with nothing. Repeat the procedure with the Trados tags (use the corresponding format t
... See more
Two solutions I can think of:

You could go through the document, opening each segment and using the \"Restore Source\" command on each. Not that bad if you use the keyboard shortcuts, but not a real solution for a large document.

Alternatively, why don\'t you use \"Search and Replace\", first searching for characters formatted in the target language and replacing them with nothing. Repeat the procedure with the Trados tags (use the corresponding format template to search). This should leave you with the source text. Two important things to note:

1. Make a backup copy before you do this.

2. When you\'ve finished, you may consider copying everything unformatted into a new file (to get rid of any residual formatting that might lead to problems when working with the document).

HTH - best regards, Ralf
Collapse

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 13:13
German to English
+ ...
Here goes.... Feb 7, 2003

Take your bak file, copy it (in case this all goes horribly wrong!)

Make a new memory (NM1).

Clean copy of bak file into NM1

Export content of NM1.

Create another new memory (NM2), this time with the language pairs the other way round.

Import content of NM1 into NM2.

Translate your cleaned file using NM2.

It ought to work (in theory, tho I admit I\'v
... See more
Take your bak file, copy it (in case this all goes horribly wrong!)

Make a new memory (NM1).

Clean copy of bak file into NM1

Export content of NM1.

Create another new memory (NM2), this time with the language pairs the other way round.

Import content of NM1 into NM2.

Translate your cleaned file using NM2.

It ought to work (in theory, tho I admit I\'ve never tried it).

HTH

Alison
Collapse

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:13
English to French
Why not... Feb 7, 2003

Assuming you are using wordfast or trados,

do a find and replace as follow:

Find: \\*\\

cailin
cailin
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks very much Feb 11, 2003

I\'m very impressed by the suggestions but think I\'ll go with Alison\'s for the moment as it seems a little less technical! I\'ll let you know how I get on.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cleaning translated files to retrieve original

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »