Pressurised to buy Trados?
Thread poster: Anne Key
Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some times there are good reasons requesting TRADOS Nov 29, 2007

Hi,

I have worked in the translation company and I can assure you that some times there are good reasons for insisting on using specific tools (either TRADOS or other).

A translation project is often a complex set of tasks where the translation performed by the translator is one step in the chain.

If I am managing a project in which 10 translators have to deliver their files back and I then I have to further process them (compilation, DTP, whatever), I don'
... See more
Hi,

I have worked in the translation company and I can assure you that some times there are good reasons for insisting on using specific tools (either TRADOS or other).

A translation project is often a complex set of tasks where the translation performed by the translator is one step in the chain.

If I am managing a project in which 10 translators have to deliver their files back and I then I have to further process them (compilation, DTP, whatever), I don't want to have risk of facing compatibility problems in the files I receive from translators because they used a different tool than the one I expected.

Even if I return the files to the translator to fix the issues, I am wasting additional time in the project.

I agree that some times translation companies have not a clue and request to use TRADOS in cases where any tool would do a perfect job but still in some other occasions you do need a stricly controlled procedure and having the whole team using the same tool is essential to reduce risk.

Much as I like DV, I don't think that Atril guarantees 100% TRADOS compatibility in all different cases and situations.

Do they cover lost income for possible incompatibility issues? If not, what does this gurantee cover?

You can tell the customer that you don't have TRADOS and that you will return TRADOS-compatible bilingual files, TTX, TMs, etc. (the black box approach) but you have to be ready to address any possible compatibility issues coming up and having to spend time fixing them.

Regarding somebody's suggestion of "telling the customer that you have TRADOS", I don't think that lying to the customer is really a good idea. At any rate, the customer might find out that you lied, which is not really nice.

Daniel
Collapse

Anne Key
Anne Key
Local time: 19:59
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Agree, but prefer not to use Trados until I truly have to Nov 29, 2007

Hello Daniel,

Many thanks for your reply. I agree with everything you say, and it echoes the sentiments expressed by my outsourcer / agency. I fully understand why they insisted on Trados.

In this instance however, I decided to reject the project as it didn't pay particularly well, and wouldn't cover the cost of purchasing a full Trados licence. I also didn't want to lie to the agency by stating that I have Trados when I blatantly don't (apart from the demo version).... See more
Hello Daniel,

Many thanks for your reply. I agree with everything you say, and it echoes the sentiments expressed by my outsourcer / agency. I fully understand why they insisted on Trados.

In this instance however, I decided to reject the project as it didn't pay particularly well, and wouldn't cover the cost of purchasing a full Trados licence. I also didn't want to lie to the agency by stating that I have Trados when I blatantly don't (apart from the demo version).

To date, my other clients have been satisfied with the Trados-compatible files I have delivered using DVX.

I certainly am not "knocking" Trados, I simply prefer using (and enjoy using) DVX and will continue to do so until my other clients also start demanding Trados.

I also admit that I'm probably being stubborn!

Anne
Collapse

absciarretta
absciarretta  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:59
Member (2008)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Have tried Trados Dec 13, 2007

I have tried about 7-8 different CAT-tools and the only one I refuse to use is TRADOS. It is just terribly difficult and inefficient. I tell my clients I will use any software they like but NOT trados. If they are not happy with it, there are plenty of translators who are and they can ask them to do it. I have enough work without suffering through that program again.

Fay Abernethy (X)
Fay Abernethy (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:59
German to English
TeamWorks workflow system / MemoQ Feb 18, 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the translation business, but have been happily using MemoQ for the last 4 months, having researched what the market offers.

I have a chance to work for a large corporation, well paying, reasonably regular work, but basically only if I get Trados.

They say I wouldn't be able to receive the jobs in the right format and that there would be problems linking up with their workflow system (TeamWorks from SDL Trados).

Does any
... See more
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the translation business, but have been happily using MemoQ for the last 4 months, having researched what the market offers.

I have a chance to work for a large corporation, well paying, reasonably regular work, but basically only if I get Trados.

They say I wouldn't be able to receive the jobs in the right format and that there would be problems linking up with their workflow system (TeamWorks from SDL Trados).

Does anyone know of a way round this? Or do I have to pay the money and use the "black-box technique" already mentioned in previous posts? I really don't want to invest the time learning Trados when I'm so happy with MemoQ.

Fay
Collapse

Fay Abernethy (X)
Fay Abernethy (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:59
German to English
Bought Trados - it's ok Mar 7, 2008

So, I bit the bullet and spent the money. I also invested in a day's training, without which I would have been completely lost. I think in the long run it's money well spent. Like any software, it has its good points and bad points. I will still carry on using MemoQ for customers without a preference as it's much faster & less complex.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pressurised to buy Trados?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »