Can I use TRADOS to count words in HTML files?
Thread poster: Teresa Jaczewska
Teresa Jaczewska
Teresa Jaczewska  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:04
English to Polish
+ ...
Dec 10, 2002

Dear colleagues,

Could you please advise me about how can I count the word count on HTML files.

I am going to translate HTML files in TRADOS. Do I need to change any settings? Should I expect any problems?

I do not have any experience in this matter.

I suppose I do not have much time to read the thick user guide at the moment.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Teresa

Rebecca Holmes
Rebecca Holmes
United States
Local time: 15:04
German to English
Try Tag Editor Dec 10, 2002

Hi Teresa,

I am in the process of translating HTML files with Trados at the moment. Open Multiterm and Translators Workbench as normal, adjust your settings to whatever it is you want. Then open Tag Editor. On the Tag Editor tool bar go to \"Open\" and skim through the files till you find the HTML file you want to translate and just simply open it and start translating.

It will be saved in a different format, however.

Hope that helps,

Rebecca

Elzbieta Wojcicka
Elzbieta Wojcicka
Netherlands
Dutch to Polish
+ ...
TagEditor + Analyse in Workbench Dec 10, 2002

When translating HTML files with Trados, you will use Workbench + (instead of Word you use for the DOC and RTF files) TagEditor. All default Trados settings should be OK, but on the sure side check if the HTML4.ini is attached: in Workbench, go to Options -> Translation Memory Options -> Tools and look in the section DTD Settings Files; in TagEditor check the same in Tools -> DTD Settings. If the HTML4.ini is listed on both places, you can analyse the HTML files in the usual way and see the word... See more
When translating HTML files with Trados, you will use Workbench + (instead of Word you use for the DOC and RTF files) TagEditor. All default Trados settings should be OK, but on the sure side check if the HTML4.ini is attached: in Workbench, go to Options -> Translation Memory Options -> Tools and look in the section DTD Settings Files; in TagEditor check the same in Tools -> DTD Settings. If the HTML4.ini is listed on both places, you can analyse the HTML files in the usual way and see the word count immediately.

In case of \"pure\" HTML, there should not be any problems with the translation. Only if your files contains some applets / scripts, TagEditor not always can recognize tags correctly and they may appear erroneously as text to be translated (of course all tags must not be changed!) In such case the tags will also be counted by Trados, so the word count results won\'t be correct.

Collapse

Anthony Dr. Williams
Anthony Dr. Williams
Austria
German to English
Cats Cradle Dec 10, 2002

Another way would be to use the programm Cats Cradle.

Works very well.

Anthony Williams

Vienna

Teresa Jaczewska
Teresa Jaczewska  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks!!! Dec 10, 2002

I knew I could count on proz.com friends!

Many thanks for excellent explanation and tips!!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I use TRADOS to count words in HTML files?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »