Broken links before... frozen gifs now. Cannot even edit my profile anymore! Is it a curse?
Thread poster: Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:28
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Nov 21, 2002

All the gifs on my profile don\'t work anymore. This comes after the broken links business. I can only guess it\'s got something to do with the technical (read dropped server) problems experienced in the last few weeks. I cannot even edit my profile anymore. It doesn\'t matter what kind of browser I use (IE, Netscape, Opera), my PC just freezes. I don\'t get technical support anymore, since I decided not to renew my platinum membership. I suppose I deserve it. Some kind of sabotage here? ... See more
All the gifs on my profile don\'t work anymore. This comes after the broken links business. I can only guess it\'s got something to do with the technical (read dropped server) problems experienced in the last few weeks. I cannot even edit my profile anymore. It doesn\'t matter what kind of browser I use (IE, Netscape, Opera), my PC just freezes. I don\'t get technical support anymore, since I decided not to renew my platinum membership. I suppose I deserve it. Some kind of sabotage here?

Giovanni
Collapse

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 19:28
English to Swedish
+ ...
My way Nov 22, 2002

The ProZ server is frequently overloaded.

At times of hight traffic I used to have the same problems with my ProZ page as you describe.

I solved it by putting all my *.gif files on a server with sufficient capacity and I have had no problems with my ProZ page since then.

It also loads much faster!

Sven.

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:28
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
?? Nov 22, 2002

Giovanni

I do see the links on your page, and the pictures... And they are wonderful! In fact, they\'ve been always wonderful!

Last week happened the same to me, I wanted to upload a crocodile at the Spanish forum, and I didn\'t work for a while!

Let\'s see if my crocodile works:

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Where's the problem? Nov 22, 2002

Giovanni,

Your profile is bustling with pictures, animations etc. - can\'t see the problem, really. Could it be that the problem is related to the sheer amount of JPG\'s, GIF\'s etc.?

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Dotcom-moral Nov 22, 2002

Dear Ralf,

It depends on the unfortunate dotcom-moral; to sell and accept payment for services that one does not (yet) have sufficient capacity for delivering reliably.

For solution, see above!

Sven.

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Your page loads just fine for me too :-) Nov 22, 2002

Good morning Giovanni!

Just wanted to say, that your page loads just fine for me (very fast as well)

I think that just like any site, it all depends on the traffic load at various times of the day?

Nathalie

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
stil not working... Nov 22, 2002

have you checked whether the parachuter (half way down the page) is moving? The e-mail sign is frozen. There is a gif with a man sitting in front of a computer: that doesn\'t work either. They all worked fine before the crash; it\'s got nothing to do with having too many pics or gifs, I believe.

Giovanni

Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:28
English to Spanish
I've got frozen .gifs too Nov 22, 2002

But not only here, but in other sites as well.

So I assume it is my problem (my computer, my \'Net connection, my sheer bad luck or whatever it is).

If someone has any suggestion...

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Yes Giovanni, everything is moving on your page Nov 22, 2002

I just checked your page again, and as I saw it before, everything *moves*

I see the parachuter falling down, the guy at the computer talking (words change at the top of the picture etc...)

The *email* icon is spinning...flags are moving, the little red telphone gets answered by the little hand etc...

Everything is working fine every time I look at your page

So I a
... See more
I just checked your page again, and as I saw it before, everything *moves*

I see the parachuter falling down, the guy at the computer talking (words change at the top of the picture etc...)

The *email* icon is spinning...flags are moving, the little red telphone gets answered by the little hand etc...

Everything is working fine every time I look at your page

So I am not sure why you cannot see this, but I sure can! (very nice btw)

HTH

Nathalie

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-22 17:41 ]
Collapse

Gilda Manara
Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Giovanni, your profile is an earthquake... Nov 23, 2002

everything moves on it...

did you try to look at it without being logged in? It might make a difference, as it seems that we are all seeing it well, except you.

Gilda

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
it's my problem... Nov 25, 2002

I think it\'s down to my upgraded driver for my video card... since I upgraded, the gifs don\'t work anymore, on any site!

Sorry about that! And thanks for your time!

Giovanni

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Ooops - jumping to conclusions can be dangerous, Sven... Nov 26, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-11-22 08:23, sven wrote:

Dear Ralf,

It depends on the unfortunate dotcom-moral; to sell and accept payment for services that one does not (yet) have sufficient capacity for delivering reliably.

For solution, see above!

Sven.

An interesting point of view, I have to admit - particu... See more
Quote:

On 2002-11-22 08:23, sven wrote:

Dear Ralf,

For solution, see above!

Sven.

An interesting point of view, I have to admit - particularly in the light of Giovanni\'s subsequent explanation... but I don\'t suppose you were referring to his hardware.

I stated in my posting that I could see everything on Giovanni\'s profile, when he could not - how that lead you to your conclusion is lost on me. Of course, I didn\'t spot the real cause either, but simply venting more or less unsubstantiated frustration doesn\'t help anyone. If you have a serious problem with the site, I suggest to discuss this with ProZ.com. ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Broken links before... frozen gifs now. Cannot even edit my profile anymore! Is it a curse?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »