Trados 5.5 freelance - Cannot open Workspace!
Thread poster: Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:20
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Nov 6, 2002

I\'m experiencing a funny glitch here. I\'ve upgraded to the freelance version 5.5 and all the programs work fine apart from Workspace which refuses to open at all! It just doesn\'t go beyond the first little screen showing the Trados 5.5 Freelance logo. It hangs and I have to press ctrl+alt+del to shut it down. The window says: Trados is not responding. This is really strange. Maybe the executable is corrupted. I\'ve uninstalled Workspace and re-installed it, to no avail. I\'m waiting for a res... See more
I\'m experiencing a funny glitch here. I\'ve upgraded to the freelance version 5.5 and all the programs work fine apart from Workspace which refuses to open at all! It just doesn\'t go beyond the first little screen showing the Trados 5.5 Freelance logo. It hangs and I have to press ctrl+alt+del to shut it down. The window says: Trados is not responding. This is really strange. Maybe the executable is corrupted. I\'ve uninstalled Workspace and re-installed it, to no avail. I\'m waiting for a response from Trados support, but it takes ages. Any clues or solutions? Workspace worked fine in the 5 version. I don\'t use Workspace a lot, but sometimes clients send me Trados projects and I have to revert to version 5 to tackle them. Very annoying!

Giovanni

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-06 17:04 ]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:20
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It is really strange Nov 6, 2002

As you state, all other related programs work fine.

But have you upgraded (migrated) your dongle properly?

I´ve made the experience, that I cannot upgrade a dongle from the 3.0 version, even if the program says the dogle was reprogrammed sucessfully, because this dongle is not recognized by Trados 5.5

Perhaps you could try to reprogram your dongle again.

BTW, I´m using USB-dongle, and it makes far less problems as my previous paralell dongle,
... See more
As you state, all other related programs work fine.

But have you upgraded (migrated) your dongle properly?

I´ve made the experience, that I cannot upgrade a dongle from the 3.0 version, even if the program says the dogle was reprogrammed sucessfully, because this dongle is not recognized by Trados 5.5

Perhaps you could try to reprogram your dongle again.

BTW, I´m using USB-dongle, and it makes far less problems as my previous paralell dongle, which tended not to work, ie. I was able to work with Workbench, but trying to do some concordance search I get a message \"TM too big for demo modus, attach a proper dongle\". After that I was still able to work with this TM. Quite strange... And this all on a Windows 2000 Pro machine

Jerzy
Collapse

Ann VDP
Ann VDP
French to Dutch
+ ...
Problem with T-Window after upgrading to 5.5 Nov 6, 2002

I bought Trados 5 two years ago and for some strange reason I have never been able to use Workspace. All other programs run just fine, just that one seemed to cause an \'overload\' on my computer. After upgrading to 5.5, I was no longer able to use T-Windows for Powerpoint (in addition to Workspace of course), so I decided to go back to 5, which unfortunately does not give me the possibility to work with T-Windows for Excel...

Trados Support does not seem able to solve any o
... See more
I bought Trados 5 two years ago and for some strange reason I have never been able to use Workspace. All other programs run just fine, just that one seemed to cause an \'overload\' on my computer. After upgrading to 5.5, I was no longer able to use T-Windows for Powerpoint (in addition to Workspace of course), so I decided to go back to 5, which unfortunately does not give me the possibility to work with T-Windows for Excel...

Trados Support does not seem able to solve any of the problems I encountered... I\'m beginning to think that there is hardly anyone who hasn\'t had problems with TRADOS... This must be the most frequently discussed subject in several discussion forums and mailing lists... TRADOS is far worse than Bill Gates...
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:20
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I do have almost the same problem Nov 6, 2002

The same happens to me, Giovanni. I can only open the Workspace after resetting the PC and if it-s the first software opened. I-ve also uninstalled and reinstalled the Trados. I\'ll be glad if someone give us a solution.

Regards,

Clarisa Moraña

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I still do not understand what´s wrong Nov 6, 2002

I used Workspace ondifferent computers, and had no problems (both 5.0 and 5.5 versions).

My configurations were:

PC with PIII 733 MHz, Biostar motherboard with VIA chipset (quite old one, Apollo pro or something similar), 384 MB SDRAM (with the fastest settings in BIOS), Maxtor HDD with 5400 rpm, both processor and memory working with 133 MHz bus, NVidia Riva TNT M64 with 32 MB

Windows 2000 Professional german

Toshiba laptop Satellite
... See more
I used Workspace ondifferent computers, and had no problems (both 5.0 and 5.5 versions).

My configurations were:

PC with PIII 733 MHz, Biostar motherboard with VIA chipset (quite old one, Apollo pro or something similar), 384 MB SDRAM (with the fastest settings in BIOS), Maxtor HDD with 5400 rpm, both processor and memory working with 133 MHz bus, NVidia Riva TNT M64 with 32 MB

Windows 2000 Professional german

Toshiba laptop Satellite Pro 4270 XCDT

Celeron 500 MHz, 320 MB RAM, 6 GB HDD, S3 Savage graphics, Windows 98 SE german

Athlon XP 1700+, 512 MB DDRAM PC 2700 (CL2, with the fastests settings in BIOS), 60 GB HDD IBM ICL35, Elitegroup ECS K7S5A motherboard with SiS 735 chipset, Radeon VE with 64 MB graphics, bus setting 133 MHz for both memory and processor, all settings in BIOS set to fastest options, Windows 2000 Pro german

Sony Vaio 316 GRX with mobile PIV 1600 MHz, only 256 MB DDR RAM and Radeon 7500 grafics with 32 MB, 20 GB HDD, working with Windows XP Home (even if I would prefer Pro, it come with Home, so I had no choice)

Everytime I used an USB dongle, and encouraged no problems with Workspace.

I do not know what kind of OS you all are using, but: if you are using something different as Win 2000/XP Pro, so the problem could lay on the OS. As far as I know, there was no full USB support in Windows 95 (even if MS stated something else), and there were problems with USB in Win 98. And most of all - any Win 9x/ME is an old DOS-based OS (even if it does not seem so).

For smooth and comfortable working with a PC I would advice anybody to upgrade at least to Win 2000 Pro or better to Win XP Pro. Do not choose Win XP Home - for those few bucks less it is not a good choice.

Jerzy

PS

Big Bill is not so bad in my opinion, and TRADOS is not as bad too...
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Could it be Nov 7, 2002

that you all are not using Microsoft Internet Explorer or are using a version older than MSIE 5.5?

Using Workspace I noticed, that it is quite similar to IE. Possibly you are using other browsers and your IE (which is in every Windows) is not configured at all, or not configured properly.

For testing purposes I would try to download the newest IE (it is the IE 6.0) from Microsoft´s homepage, install and configure it as a standard browser. Afterwards you can reset your old co
... See more
that you all are not using Microsoft Internet Explorer or are using a version older than MSIE 5.5?

Using Workspace I noticed, that it is quite similar to IE. Possibly you are using other browsers and your IE (which is in every Windows) is not configured at all, or not configured properly.

For testing purposes I would try to download the newest IE (it is the IE 6.0) from Microsoft´s homepage, install and configure it as a standard browser. Afterwards you can reset your old configuration via internet settings, setting the previous browser as a standard.

And try to download the latest dongle drivers (they can be found here: http://www.rainbow.com/support/eu_support.htm ). Perhaps this can help.

Best

Jerzy
Collapse

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your help, Jerzy Nov 7, 2002

There\'s obviously some conflict somewhere. I\'ve got W98, 256 MB of memory and Pentium III processor, but I\'m running Office XP Professional, because I wanted to upgrade to Office XP (for various reasons) and Trados 5 is non compatible with Word 2000. I\'ll try and download the updated dongle driver and see what happens. I\'m going to update the OS to XP soon.

Also I\'m running IE 6 and a serial dongle.

Giovanni

[ This Message was edited by:
... See more
There\'s obviously some conflict somewhere. I\'ve got W98, 256 MB of memory and Pentium III processor, but I\'m running Office XP Professional, because I wanted to upgrade to Office XP (for various reasons) and Trados 5 is non compatible with Word 2000. I\'ll try and download the updated dongle driver and see what happens. I\'m going to update the OS to XP soon.

Also I\'m running IE 6 and a serial dongle.

Giovanni

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-07 08:52 ]
Collapse

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved... Nov 7, 2002

thanks again, Jerzy. By downloading the latest dongle driver and by reinstalling Trados 5.5 the problem has disappeared. I can open Workspace ok now....

Unfortunately, I have discovered another problem..

When I launch T-Window for PowerPoint, I get a fatal error. If i click on ok, PP launches, but there is no Trados toolbar or flag man. There is an article in the knowledge base. I\'ve tried the solution offered, but it does no
... See more
thanks again, Jerzy. By downloading the latest dongle driver and by reinstalling Trados 5.5 the problem has disappeared. I can open Workspace ok now....

Unfortunately, I have discovered another problem..

When I launch T-Window for PowerPoint, I get a fatal error. If i click on ok, PP launches, but there is no Trados toolbar or flag man. There is an article in the knowledge base. I\'ve tried the solution offered, but it does not work! I\'m still getting the same fatal error. I\'m using PowerPoint XP. Maybe that\'s the problem...

Giovanni

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-07 10:17 ]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I have the same problem with T-Window for PP Nov 7, 2002

After opening PP and the file to translate, when I start T-Window for PowerPoint I get a message \"Fatal Error. Unable to continue\". But nevertheless, the Trados toolbar appears in PP and I´m still able to translate the file. It is really strange, and I repoprted this problem to Stuttgart, but no response until now...

I have tried the solution with deleting the ppt10.pcb file (it contains settings for PP toolbars), but it didn´t help.

Jerzy

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Curious Nov 7, 2002

I just deleted the PPT10.PCB again, and after restarting the PC I have no \"fatal error\" agian.

Perhaps you could try to install both SP´s for your Office XP. But be carefull, if you are using Symantec Anti Virus, as the settings of it do affect the behaviour of Office as far, that you are not able to use the OLE-functionality. Using NAV you must disable \"Script blocking\" ans \"Office plug-in\" in NAV. Then Office works properly again.

Jerzy

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
SPs? Nov 7, 2002

\"you could try to install both SP´s for your Office XP\"

What do you mean by SP? I have Norton Antivirus 2003 and I have disabled both Script blocking and Office plug-in, to no avail! Still getting the same message after deleting the PPT10.PCB file. I\'m baffled!

Giovanni

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
SP - Service Pack Nov 7, 2002

It is advisable to install all SPs available on MS home page to your OS and Office, as MS software contains many bugs, and some of them are solved in \"Service Packs\".

For SP for Office check here:

http://office.microsoft.com/ProductUpdates/default.aspx

You can also open the help menu in Word and go to \"Office in WWW\".

It
... See more
It is advisable to install all SPs available on MS home page to your OS and Office, as MS software contains many bugs, and some of them are solved in \"Service Packs\".

For SP for Office check here:

http://office.microsoft.com/ProductUpdates/default.aspx

You can also open the help menu in Word and go to \"Office in WWW\".

It is really strange, but I have no problem with PPT and T-Window, since I just removed this PPT10.PCB file.

I have Win 2000 Pro with SP3, Office XP with SP 2, TWB build 251, T-Window PPT build 18. And \"Office plug-in\" and script blocking of my NAV 2002 are disabled too.

BTW, the tip to disable the settings of NAV come from MS directly on the phone (I was called by them), after I posted a support request via their support page. Very good service in this case, indeed.

Jerzy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 5.5 freelance - Cannot open Workspace!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »