What is the software of transcription and what about time codes
Thread poster: lucysebastian
lucysebastian
lucysebastian
Local time: 12:54
English to Arabic
Oct 30, 2006

Welcome

I have a project of transcription of video file.
What is the suitable software for that and what is the software to write time codes? I have done transcription before on tapes but here the company is sending me a video file and gave me a MS Word sample to give me an idea of the format.
I see in the MS Word file that there is a time codes and how can I do the time codes. Do I need a software. I feel shy to ask the job provider about that. We always learn somethin
... See more
Welcome

What is the suitable software for that and what is the software to write time codes? I have done transcription before on tapes but here the company is sending me a video file and gave me a MS Word sample to give me an idea of the format.
I see in the MS Word file that there is a time codes and how can I do the time codes. Do I need a software. I feel shy to ask the job provider about that. We always learn something new in this world.

Thanks in advance
Sebastian

[Edited at 2006-10-31 04:09]
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:54
French to Spanish
+ ...
Don't get it. Oct 31, 2006

You wrote:

[I have a project of transcription of video file.
What is the suitable software for that...]

Word, of course.

[and what is the software to write time codes?]

Why does the company need Time Coded text? That's for subtitling or dubbing. And that's a completly different job. Will you have the video file... with Time Code? If so, I'm afraid you'll have write Time In and Time Out by hand, in Word. Quite impossible job, must I
... See more
You wrote:

[I have a project of transcription of video file.
What is the suitable software for that...]

Word, of course.

[and what is the software to write time codes?]

Why does the company need Time Coded text? That's for subtitling or dubbing. And that's a completly different job. Will you have the video file... with Time Code? If so, I'm afraid you'll have write Time In and Time Out by hand, in Word. Quite impossible job, must I say. You should have a "compressed" .avi file, load it to Subtitle Workshop, for example, lear how to use it, etc.
If not, this is absolutely nonsense.

Best of lucks.
Collapse

lucysebastian
lucysebastian
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
In what cased do we write down time codes? Oct 31, 2006

Thanks Juan Jacob for your precious time spent here.

Well, the company has not sent me yet the video file and it sent me a MS Word file that contains subscription and contains time codes for a similar previous project to what I am going to work on. The company said that the video file will be available soon and it send me the MS Word file of similar previous project to give me an idea about the work nature.
Based on your advice, I will contact the company to verify whether th
... See more
Thanks Juan Jacob for your precious time spent here.

Well, the company has not sent me yet the video file and it sent me a MS Word file that contains subscription and contains time codes for a similar previous project to what I am going to work on. The company said that the video file will be available soon and it send me the MS Word file of similar previous project to give me an idea about the work nature.
Based on your advice, I will contact the company to verify whether they need time codes or not.

Having said that, in what cases do we need to write time codes? It is in subtitling. Are there other cases?

Thanks Juan Jacob for your help and thanks for all forum participants as well. Looking forward for your advice.

Warm regards
Sebastian
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:54
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
My way Oct 31, 2006

I created a table in word with three colums. In the first I wrote the time stamp (minutes, secons, parts) and in the second colums I wrote the original text. When I was through I translated column 2 and pasted the translation into column 3.
I find it difficult to translate straight from hearing.
Cheers
Heinrich

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 04:54
Dutch to English
+ ...
Windows Media Player Oct 31, 2006

lucysebastian wrote:

Welcome

I see in the MS Word file that there is a time codes and how can I do the time codes. Do I need a software. I feel shy to ask the job provider about that. We always learn something new in this world.

Thanks in advance
Sebastian

[Edited at 2006-10-31 04:09]

I recently completed a project like that - my understanding is that the client wants to have it dubbed. I downloaded the videoclip from the client's website and it opened up automatically in Windows Media Player. The time codes were shown in white. I stopped the clip after every sentence or segment and recorded the time and the source text. I made up a table in Word with 3 columns, exactly like Heinrich suggests. It took about an hour per minute of video but the text was simple and the sound quality good. Some videos might take longer. Good luck with the project!

lucysebastian
lucysebastian
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
What do you mean Tina Vonhof Oct 31, 2006

Hello
What do you mean by "It took about an hour per minute of video "
The company says that the video file takes one hour so does that mean I have to work 60 hours to finish the job o transcription?

Please clarify.

Thanks in advance
Sebastian

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:54
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
If they talk a lot, yes Nov 5, 2006

lucysebastian wrote:

Hello
What do you mean by "It took about an hour per minute of video "
The company says that the video file takes one hour so does that mean I have to work 60 hours to finish the job o transcription?

Please clarify.

Thanks in advance
Sebastian

My observation is the same, 1 hour transcription and translation for 1 minute of video. It's tedious. But if you are good you could try to write and listen synchronously. Good luck!
Heinrich

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:54
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Substation Alpha Nov 6, 2006

An easy way to translate and timecode at the same time is by using Substation Alpha, which you can download for free. You'll need to extract the audio from your video file into a mono 8-bit file, and you can also do that with freeware you can download off the web.

The resulting file can then be exported to a txt file, which can be inserted in Word, if need be.

I'd be happy to provide detailed instructions. By using this method it takes about 6-10 minutes of work to tran
... See more
An easy way to translate and timecode at the same time is by using Substation Alpha, which you can download for free. You'll need to extract the audio from your video file into a mono 8-bit file, and you can also do that with freeware you can download off the web.

The resulting file can then be exported to a txt file, which can be inserted in Word, if need be.

I'd be happy to provide detailed instructions. By using this method it takes about 6-10 minutes of work to translate and time 1 minute of video/audio.

Good luck!

Nora
Collapse

lucysebastian
lucysebastian
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Your kind help is valued Nov 7, 2006

Hello

Thank you very much indeed for your help.

Feel totally free in case you have more to add to this thread.

Thanks
Sebastian

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:54
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
For transcription without timecoding: WAVPedal Nov 7, 2006

Sebastian,

If all you need to do is transcribe, but not add the timecodes, and if you have enough jobs of this kind to justify the expense, I would recommend getting a transcriptionist's pedal and a software package such as WAVpedal.

The pedal connects to your USB port, then you open the video or audio file in WAVpedal and use the pedal to control playback.

It makes transcription go very fast (about 1 hour of work for 30 minutes of audio), since you don't
... See more
Sebastian,

If all you need to do is transcribe, but not add the timecodes, and if you have enough jobs of this kind to justify the expense, I would recommend getting a transcriptionist's pedal and a software package such as WAVpedal.

The pedal connects to your USB port, then you open the video or audio file in WAVpedal and use the pedal to control playback.

It makes transcription go very fast (about 1 hour of work for 30 minutes of audio), since you don't have to use the mouse or the keyboard to rewind, play or fast forward the audio/video.

Good luck!

Nora
Collapse

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Transcribing with time-codes Apr 11, 2013

Hi all, about 6 years late, but a job was posted with regards to this same topic. Audio translation will be via SKYPE so I suppose you cannot stop it & go back. It also needs time-code: think company did not find anyone as job was posted yesterday-only 2 quotes - and posted again today. Really appreciate answer. Thank you

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the software of transcription and what about time codes

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »