Thread poster: Bhupali Gupte (X)
Bhupali Gupte (X)
Bhupali Gupte (X)
Local time: 02:09
German to English
+ ...
Oct 21, 2002

Hi everyone,

I just bought a Samsung CD Writer. I tried to backup some data (word and excel files) on an RW CD with the NERO software. But the problem is that the files are getting saved as read-only files. When I try to change the attribute, I get an error message: Unable to set the attributes for \'file name\'.

Secondly I have always been under the impression that an RW CD is more or less like a floppy and one can work on files as one does on a floppy.
... See more
Hi everyone,

I just bought a Samsung CD Writer. I tried to backup some data (word and excel files) on an RW CD with the NERO software. But the problem is that the files are getting saved as read-only files. When I try to change the attribute, I get an error message: Unable to set the attributes for \'file name\'.

Secondly I have always been under the impression that an RW CD is more or less like a floppy and one can work on files as one does on a floppy. Am I wrong?

Also, when I try to save a file (I can save it on the HD from the CD) or delete a file from the CD, I get an error message: Cannot delete file. Make sure the disc is not full or write-protected or the file is not in use. The disc has enough space and the file is also not open. Can a CD be write-protected? If yes, how do I change this feature?

I am really lost and don\'t seem to be able to figure out how this works or why it doesn\'t work. Hoping someone can help me and correct me if I am going wrong somewhere.

Thanks a LOT!!!

Bhupali
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Why don´t you use InCD? Oct 21, 2002

It comes along with the Nero package.

If you didn´t get it, go to www.ahead.de and download the latest version there ( http://www.ahead.de/en/index.html#download ).

After installing InCD you will be able to format a CD-RW disk with UDF and use it as a large floppy disk.

Best

Jerzy

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Without packet writing, CD-RWs are just reusable CD-Rs Oct 22, 2002

You need packet-writing software like InCD, as suggested by Jerzy, to use CD-RWs more or less like floppies.

Otherwise all you can do is erase EVERYTHING from the CD and re-record it.

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
CD-RW issues Oct 22, 2002

Jerzy is right (as usual , but there\'s more...

When you burn a CDR or CDRW and _finalize_ the burn session, that\'s it. You cannot do anything else to the CD (record, erase, whatever). If it\'s a regular CDR, you can never burn anything on it again, nor erase anything from it. You can only copy from the CD onto another carrier. (Even if you use the \"cut\" command, you will still only be able to copy). When the files copy onto
... See more
Jerzy is right (as usual , but there\'s more...

When you burn a CDR or CDRW and _finalize_ the burn session, that\'s it. You cannot do anything else to the CD (record, erase, whatever). If it\'s a regular CDR, you can never burn anything on it again, nor erase anything from it. You can only copy from the CD onto another carrier. (Even if you use the \"cut\" command, you will still only be able to copy). When the files copy onto your HDD, they are read-only. You have to uncheck the read only attributes before you can edit them again. (That\'s done via \"file attributes\" in Explorer).

If it\'s a CDRW, it behaves like a regular CDR (cannot add or erase etc.), but you can use it again. To use a CDRW again, you use the \"blank CDRW\" command in your burn software. This is the only way to \"delete\" files from a CDRW. Then you lose all the data on the CDRW, but it\'s clean and ready to use again.

You have the option of making a multi-session CD. You don\'t finalize the burn session the first time around. You can then _add_ more data to the CD by starting another burn session and continue until the CD is full. Note: each session requires ca. 20 MB of extra information, so it\'s pointless to use extra sessions to add 3 MB of data. Before you finalize the multi-session CD, it\'s readable (I believe) _only_ on your burner and not on a regular CD ROM.

Now we come to Jerzy\'s advice. Most burn software pacakges allow you to use a CDRW (but not a CDR? - not sure about this) like a floppy. This requires the actions Jerzy writes about.

Personally (but I\'m old fashioned), I prefer to burn a CDRW, blank it and then burn it again when I do my backups, even when I don\'t use all of its capacity - those things are cheap.

Here is some other simplistic advice:

Before I back up my files, I zip my \"My Documents\" folder and burn just the one zip file onto my CDRW.

Advantages:

- just one file;

- you don\'t have to zip everything every time - you can just update the zip file to include new versions of existing files and/or new files;

- when you unzip the files back to your computer, the folder structure remains intact and all your files are as they were (not read-only).

Disadvantages:

- there is always the danger of file corruption in zipping (but Winzip can check this as it\'s zipping the files);

- the zipping takes time - on my old 200 MHz computer a ca. 800 MB folder took about 20 minutes to zip down to ca. 500 MB at max. compression. This turns to an advantage, because my zip file fits onto one CD (for a while yet, anyway).

OK, now I have to get back to work.

HTH

Pawel Skalinski

Collapse

Bhupali Gupte (X)
Bhupali Gupte (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a LOT!!! Oct 22, 2002

Thank you so much Jerzy, Endre and Pawel for all the information.

I installed the INCD software and am slowly finding my way around. All the extra information on R and RW CDs really helped

Thanks a TON once again.

Regards

Bhupali

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
BACKUP of the system Oct 22, 2002

Pawel has described above his method to store files as one large ZIP-archive on a CD-RW. This is not the worst possibility you have, but surely not the best.

In this way you are only able to store the files on a CD, if the created archive is not bigger than the capacity of the CD. But what will you do, if you have more or bigger files to store? For example, Powerpoint oder PDF files are not so small even after they have been zipped. And, as he stated, ZIP makes sometimes errors... And
... See more
Pawel has described above his method to store files as one large ZIP-archive on a CD-RW. This is not the worst possibility you have, but surely not the best.

In this way you are only able to store the files on a CD, if the created archive is not bigger than the capacity of the CD. But what will you do, if you have more or bigger files to store? For example, Powerpoint oder PDF files are not so small even after they have been zipped. And, as he stated, ZIP makes sometimes errors... And it does not allow you to split the ZIP-archive automatically to match the CD-capacity.

No, this is surely not the best way for doing backup of your important data. And with this method you cannot make a backup of your whole system. But when the system is completly installed and runs properly, it is advisable to make an \"image\" of this system on some CDs. For this purpose I use Norton Ghost. As this program is run in real DOS mode (DOS is supplied with it, and it is started from a single floppy), you are able to make a backup of everything - and burn it directly on CD/CD-RW!

Here is a list of some such programms (but either not for free, I haven´t found any free backup software yet, and do not search anymore, as I bought Ghost):

Disk Image (www.powerquest.com)

Norton Ghost (www.symantec.com)

Acronics True-Image (www.acronics.com)

Instant Recovery (www.novastor.com) - it runs with Linux!

Best

Jerzy
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Responses, responses Oct 24, 2002

Well, the key word in my post was \"simplistic\". I realize that this is not the best way to do this, but it\'s _simple_.

Re. Norton Ghost - I understood we were just talking about backing up data files, not the whole system. If that\'s what you want to do then, of course, Norton Ghost is the way to go.

Winzip (version 8.1, anyway) _does_ let you split the zip file into any size you like. In the \"Actions\" menu you find the command \"split\" and there y
... See more
Well, the key word in my post was \"simplistic\". I realize that this is not the best way to do this, but it\'s _simple_.

Re. Norton Ghost - I understood we were just talking about backing up data files, not the whole system. If that\'s what you want to do then, of course, Norton Ghost is the way to go.

Winzip (version 8.1, anyway) _does_ let you split the zip file into any size you like. In the \"Actions\" menu you find the command \"split\" and there you can choose any size you like - from a 1.2 MB floppy to a 700 MB CD. Anyway, you will probably burn your older files onto a CD, erase them from the HDD and forget about them.

If your data files don\'t fit on one CD, then I\'m sure you will find some way of dividing them onto more CD\'s - by individual directories or whatever.

One last point - don\'t skimp on your media. Buy the best CDRW available and keep it in a safe place away from children, dogs and spiders. There is nothing more silly than not being able to recover your precious data from a cheapo CD gone bad.

OK, that wasn\'t the last point. If you _really_ want to be cool, technologically advanced and and have money to burn then buy a streamer. It will back up anything you want and do it automatically as often as you wish.

Why am I not working?

Pawel
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Saving and deleting files on an RW CD

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »