A. Deb
A. Deb  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 11, 2002

Hi!

I\'ve just translated my first Word 2000 document with Trados Freelance 5.5. I\'ve cleaned up the file, but would now like to make some further changes. Is there any way I can get the file with the bilingual data back? When I open the file from the workspace, all I get in the target version of the document. There appears to be no associated translation memory either in Workbench.

I\'d be grateful for any help.

Thanks in advan
... See more
Hi!

I\'ve just translated my first Word 2000 document with Trados Freelance 5.5. I\'ve cleaned up the file, but would now like to make some further changes. Is there any way I can get the file with the bilingual data back? When I open the file from the workspace, all I get in the target version of the document. There appears to be no associated translation memory either in Workbench.

Thanks in advance.

Ana
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:53
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
How to recover your work file... Oct 11, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-10-11 09:11, Ana D. wrote:

Hi!

I\'ve just translated my first Word 2000 document with Trados Freelance 5.5. I\'ve cleaned up the file, but would now like to make some further changes. Is there any way I can get the file with the bilingual data back? When I open the file from the workspace, all I get in the target version of the document. There appears to be no associated translation memory ei... See more
Quote:

On 2002-10-11 09:11, Ana D. wrote:

Hi!

Thanks in advance.

Ana

It is good practice to keep a copy of each stage of our work.

Anyway, you can obtain a file with both languages. Simply, take the original file (you have a copy, right?) and translate it using the function Tools/Translate.

You will get, from your TM all translations applied to the original sentences. Your work file.

Failing that, you can still take the original file and the current available translation and perform their alignment.

The result of the alignment is a new TM.

If you have lost your TM you can rebuild it from the two files, original and translation.

Gianfranco

Collapse

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
a hint Oct 11, 2002

If you used Trados correctly, you should have your TM filled with the sentences of your document. In the worst case, you can open the source doc again, perhaps give another name, then \"translate\" with WorkBench: all the sentences should be there, so everything is 100% match. Use the \"Translate to fuzzy\" button to save time.

In the end, save your uncleaned file: xxx_uncleaned.doc. save again with a different name: xxx_cleaned.doc. In Workbench, when you clean up the file, use the x
... See more
If you used Trados correctly, you should have your TM filled with the sentences of your document. In the worst case, you can open the source doc again, perhaps give another name, then \"translate\" with WorkBench: all the sentences should be there, so everything is 100% match. Use the \"Translate to fuzzy\" button to save time.

In the end, save your uncleaned file: xxx_uncleaned.doc. save again with a different name: xxx_cleaned.doc. In Workbench, when you clean up the file, use the xxx_cleaned.doc file. In this way you will have both versions.
Collapse

gianfranco
Brazil
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Folders structure for not losing your data... and your head with them Oct 11, 2002

In the future, I would like to suggest using my folders structure, or a similar structure of your liking:

I keep all jobs in a single folder, within it I create a folder per each customer, and inside this, a numbered folder for each project:

/jobs (all my projects in this folder)

/jobs/name_customer_1/... (a folder for each customer)
/jobs/name_customer_2/...

/jobs/name_customer_3/job_001 (a folder for each pr
... See more
In the future, I would like to suggest using my folders structure, or a similar structure of your liking:

I keep all jobs in a single folder, within it I create a folder per each customer, and inside this, a numbered folder for each project:

/jobs (all my projects in this folder)

/jobs/name_customer_1/... (a folder for each customer)
/jobs/name_customer_2/...

/jobs/name_customer_3/job_001 (a folder for each project from the same customer)
/jobs/name_customer_3/job_002
/jobs/name_customer_3/job_xxx
etc...
(where xxx is a progressive number for each customer)

but then, here is the trick, at the project level, I always create the following structure, even if not all folders are used in all projects:

PROJECT STRUCTURE

• /1 Admin
    Purchase order, word counts, etc...

• /2 Source
    Original files as received from the customer. I never touch them!

• /3 Reference
    Terminology and reference files associated with the job

• /4 Memory
    Translation memory files and logs

• /5 Work
    all my work in progess and sometimes, in case of large number of files, I may open at this level some more folders, for example

• .../5 Work/1 To do
    • .../5 Work/2 In progress
    • .../5 Work/3 Done

This is the working area. Here I perform all tasks: translation, proof-reading, spell checking, etc...

• /6 Check
    At the end of my work, copy of the files goes here for a final check, final formatting and clean-up.
    Note: the files before cleaning are still in the work area.

• /7 Delivery
    Finally, I keep a copy of the files, as they are actually delivered, normally compressed, to avoid confusing them with any other previous version.

The folder names have the numbers(1 to 7) in front, so that they keep their order, regardless of the starting letter.
So /1 Admin is always in first position, and /7 Delivery is always the last folder.

Always keep all files, for ever, stored with with the above structure and recorded on CD.

I have never lost or mislaid or had problems searching for old files.
Also, having all stages of your work, you can always choose from where to restart in case of an accident.

Note: For large jobs, I make frequently (1-2 times per day) a copy of the whole job structure, with all its folders, on a different drive so that, in case of an accident, I have a number of intermediate or milestone stages from which I can easily restart.

This is facilitated by having the whole project in a single folder, it is just a matter of dragging the folder with the mouse to the appropriate destination.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2006-08-14 16:32]
Collapse

Martin Schneekloth (X)
Martin Schneekloth (X)
English to German
+ ...
Trados has option for automatic backup Oct 11, 2002

Here is another option for the future:

Open Trados Workbench, select Options > Translation Memory Options > Tools (tab) and activate the \"Keep Backup\" option. As far as I know, this is a default selection unless you deselect it here. I am still working with TRADOS 3.2 but I hope that they kept that function in version 5 as well.

Vauwe
Vauwe
English to German
+ ...
.bak file Oct 11, 2002

When you clean your file Trados creates a .bak file (bilingual). Open this .bak file, save it as .doc and enter the corrections. Then clean this file again.

Stéphan Goldsmith
Stéphan Goldsmith
Local time: 09:53
English to French
+ ...
.BAK file Oct 11, 2002

When you clean up a file with Trados, an back up file of the bilingual document (i.e. the document before clean-up) is automatically created.

You can make a copy of that file, rename it (relace the BAK extension by DOC) and open it in Word. You will have your text with both the source and target segments, ready to be processed with Trados.

Mariflor Salas
Mariflor Salas  Identity Verified
Venezuela
Local time: 09:53
English to Spanish
How do I create a TM from the English file and its corresponding translation? Oct 11, 2002

Gianfranco says you can create a TM from the original file and its translation. I was told that´s something one can do with WinALign. I have Trados 3 Freelance, but I don\'t think it has WinAlign. Do we have to buy WInAlign as a separate component?

Who knows about this?

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
brilliant!!!! Oct 11, 2002

Gianfranco,

This is the best and most useful posting I have ever found.

I always keep copies of all the stages of my files organised per client. But your folders structure is absolutely brilliant.

Thank you.

)

Grace.

A. Deb
A. Deb  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everybody! Oct 12, 2002

Many thanks to everybody for their advice. It has all been very useful and I\'m very grateful to you all.

I managed to get the bilingual file back by saving the .bak as .doc, and will definitely try out Gianfranco\'s filing system in future.

Thanks again

Ana

gianfranco
Brazil
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
WinAlign as part of the Trados software suite Oct 12, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-10-11 16:22, msal wrote:

Gianfranco says you can create a TM from the original file and its translation. I was told that´s something one can do with WinALign. I have Trados 3 Freelance, but I don\'t think it has WinAlign. Do we have to buy WInAlign as a separate component?

Who knows about this?

WinAlign used to be sold separately from the main Trados applic... See more
Quote:

Who knows about this?

WinAlign used to be sold separately from the main Trados applications (WorkBench and MultiTerm).

Now (in version 5 and 5.5) is part of the package, together with TagEditor (editor for HTML and XML files) and the T-Window collection (editors for PowerPoint, Excel, etc...).

You may have an old version that did not include WinAlign.

Gianfranco

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-12 18:25 ]Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No need to align if you used TW to translate Oct 13, 2002

Quote:

Who knows about this?

Of course you can use WinAlign (which was a separate product in T3) to ali... See more
Quote:

Who knows about this?

Of course you can use WinAlign (which was a separate product in T3) to align source and target - but there\'s no need to do that if you used Workbench to translate the file in the first place. ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS (beginner): cleaned file, but want to make further changes

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »