Some kind of virus affecting Spanish keyboards???
Thread poster: Parrot
Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 2, 2002

Several among us in the Spanish subcommunity seem to have fallen victims to a virus affecting the functioning of our accents. Where they should appear over the vowels, they now appear like this ´´a; ``a; ¨¨a; ^^a. Does anyone have a patch or a solution or any previous experience with this one?

HELP!

PS: Seems to have deactivated the anti-virus: can\'t get updates, can\'t scan.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-02 16:16 ]... See more
Several among us in the Spanish subcommunity seem to have fallen victims to a virus affecting the functioning of our accents. Where they should appear over the vowels, they now appear like this ´´a; ``a; ¨¨a; ^^a. Does anyone have a patch or a solution or any previous experience with this one?

HELP!

PS: Seems to have deactivated the anti-virus: can\'t get updates, can\'t scan.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-02 16:16 ]
Collapse

Ruth García
Ruth García  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Virus Oct 2, 2002

Hola Laura!

He visto que mucha gente está teniendo este problema durante la tarde de ayer y hoy. Como he contestado antes en este mismo foro, yo recibí el virus bugbear ayer y me bloqueó por completo el ordenador (incluso la tarjeta gráfica dejó de funcionar). Tuve que reinstalar todo.

Según han dicho en las noticias hoy, este virus está causando estragos en muchas redes informáticas.

No sé si se tratará del mismo virus, pero por si a
... See more
Hola Laura!

He visto que mucha gente está teniendo este problema durante la tarde de ayer y hoy. Como he contestado antes en este mismo foro, yo recibí el virus bugbear ayer y me bloqueó por completo el ordenador (incluso la tarjeta gráfica dejó de funcionar). Tuve que reinstalar todo.

Según han dicho en las noticias hoy, este virus está causando estragos en muchas redes informáticas.

No sé si se tratará del mismo virus, pero por si acaso. Aquí puedes recibir información:

http://www.terra.es/tecnologia/articulo/html/tec5899.htm

Y buscar el modo de solucionarlo.

Saludos,

Ruth
Collapse

conor bracken (X)
conor bracken (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:43
English to Thai
+ ...
virus affecting accents Oct 2, 2002

I think I can confirm that this is a virus, as had the same problem last year, and caught it from a translator situated in Spain. I notice all of you who are affected are also in Spain. I am trying to remember what the solution was at the time and where I got it from, but rest assured there is a solution! I expect you can probably download something from the Panda antivirus site.

J.

tradusport
tradusport  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:43
Portuguese to French
+ ...
not only in Spain... Oct 2, 2002

I have just read this forum and I can say it happens also in Portugal . I have the same problem since yesterday.

Could someone tell what is the solution or where it can be find?

Completely impossible to write portuguese or french without accents!

tradusport
tradusport  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:43
Portuguese to French
+ ...
again about this virus Oct 2, 2002

My scan is also unavailable.What can I do ?

Has anybody got an idea?

Thank you very much

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Found it!! Oct 3, 2002

First, download pqremove.com from this site:

http://www.pandasoftware.es/enciclopedia/W32Bugbear.htm

This will take care of the main worm and liberate your resident anti-virus. Download the latest update and run your computer through it. While Panda\'s program removes SOME things, the infected files remain, so you\'ll have to repair them with your own res
... See more
First, download pqremove.com from this site:

http://www.pandasoftware.es/enciclopedia/W32Bugbear.htm

This will take care of the main worm and liberate your resident anti-virus. Download the latest update and run your computer through it. While Panda\'s program removes SOME things, the infected files remain, so you\'ll have to repair them with your own resident software (Panda may not be compatible with everybody\'s antivirus. It usually clashes with Norton, in my experience).

Collapse

Lila del Cerro
Lila del Cerro  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 00:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Otra solución Oct 3, 2002

Hola a todos.

Vean mensaje que abrió Cesar con la explicación de como limpiar la máquina. A mí me funcionó a la perfección.

¡¡Suerte!!

Lila

Lila del Cerro
Lila del Cerro  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 00:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another solution Oct 3, 2002

Sorry, wrong language in my previous message.

I just wanted you all to know that the message posted by Cesar explaining how to get rid of the virus works like a real beauty.

Good luck!

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:43
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Translators' MLs Oct 3, 2002

Hi Cecilia,

W32.bugbear@mm is causing troubles and has been flooding MLs for two days now. The unpleasant part is that this worm copies the entire body of a private letter, sends itself to an x number of recipients, keeps the sender\'s original name, but modifies partially his / her address. I know of mails that were sent in name of colleagues, who turned out to have a \"clean\" hard disk. Perhaps a kind of robot has searche
... See more
Hi Cecilia,

W32.bugbear@mm is causing troubles and has been flooding MLs for two days now. The unpleasant part is that this worm copies the entire body of a private letter, sends itself to an x number of recipients, keeps the sender\'s original name, but modifies partially his / her address. I know of mails that were sent in name of colleagues, who turned out to have a \"clean\" hard disk. Perhaps a kind of robot has searched and collected email addresses in MLs and kept on sending the worm... once a PC was infected, private messages were sent. Embarassing... \"Thanks to\" bugbear I have just got a very private message from a lady colleague I don\'t know at all to someone else. Aehm, we should better not send sensitive info via email for a while (

Giuliana

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-03 17:20 ]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Some kind of virus affecting Spanish keyboards???

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »