Thread poster: Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 03:08
German to English
+ ...
Sep 19, 2002

I found out something really useful yesterday while fixing my computer after a nasty crash. Microsoft offers free updates to resolve issues such as security problems with Outlook, etc.

To get the updates your computer needs, go to http://www.microsoft.com and click on updates at the left of the screen.

The site will then scan your computer for the necessary updates and you can then in
... See more
I found out something really useful yesterday while fixing my computer after a nasty crash. Microsoft offers free updates to resolve issues such as security problems with Outlook, etc.

To get the updates your computer needs, go to http://www.microsoft.com and click on updates at the left of the screen.

The site will then scan your computer for the necessary updates and you can then install them accordingly.

There are updates for the Windows system and for the Office products themselves.

Hope that helps!
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:08
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Problem (today only, hopefully) Sep 19, 2002

Strange that you should make this posting today, when it appears that Windows Update is not working properly.

Went there this morning (not by your method, but by a notification of a Critical Update which appeared on the screen) & got various error messages ending in a computer crash, as a result of which I lost the last few minutes of work I had been doing on a Word file. Went to Windows Update again by two links on the computer (one in Outlook Express, the other in the Windows folder
... See more
Strange that you should make this posting today, when it appears that Windows Update is not working properly.

Went there this morning (not by your method, but by a notification of a Critical Update which appeared on the screen) & got various error messages ending in a computer crash, as a result of which I lost the last few minutes of work I had been doing on a Word file. Went to Windows Update again by two links on the computer (one in Outlook Express, the other in the Windows folder), and both times went to a Windows Update page which apart from headings round the edges, remained blank regardless of how long I stayed there. Have just tried again via your link with the same result.

I have never had this problem with Windows Update before so I hope it is Bill Gates who is having the problem, not me.
Collapse

Fiona N�voa
Fiona N�voa
Portugal
Local time: 02:08
Member (2003)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Great Help! Sep 19, 2002

Thanks Alison. It\'s good to know what to do if you have a problem.

Fiona

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I´m wondering you found this for the first time now... Sep 19, 2002

as Windows and other MS products needs \"service packs\". It is wide known, that Microsoft releases regulary \"service packs\" and updates. Some of them make the system more stable, but some make troubles.

The best solution is to wait until there is a full \"service pack\" for the choosen software and not to install every singla \"patch\", as some may cause problems.

For Windows 2000 the most recent is service pack 3, for Office XP it is \"service release 2\". The latest has
... See more
as Windows and other MS products needs \"service packs\". It is wide known, that Microsoft releases regulary \"service packs\" and updates. Some of them make the system more stable, but some make troubles.

The best solution is to wait until there is a full \"service pack\" for the choosen software and not to install every singla \"patch\", as some may cause problems.

For Windows 2000 the most recent is service pack 3, for Office XP it is \"service release 2\". The latest has although caused several problems on my PC, so I had to deinstall the whole Office package and install it anew.

Therefore I woul be carefull in installing every single patch and check in computer magazines (or on-line sites), whether it is necessary to install such patch or not.

Best

Jerzy
Collapse

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
Windows Update Sep 19, 2002

If you use Windows 2000 or XP, there is a Windows update shortcut in the Start Menu. Selecting that will take you to Microsoft Windows update page. Once there, you can choose \"Scan for updates.\" It will scan your systme and compare with available updates and see if you need anyone. If you do need any updates, you can download and update right from there.

If you use Internet Explorer, there is also a Windows Update menu item under \"Tools\" which serves the same purpose.... See more
If you use Windows 2000 or XP, there is a Windows update shortcut in the Start Menu. Selecting that will take you to Microsoft Windows update page. Once there, you can choose \"Scan for updates.\" It will scan your systme and compare with available updates and see if you need anyone. If you do need any updates, you can download and update right from there.

If you use Internet Explorer, there is also a Windows Update menu item under \"Tools\" which serves the same purpose.

You can also get Office updates from the Windows update page. Just click the Office update link on Windows update page. it will take you to Office update page. I updated my Office 2000 premium and Office XP Pro from there.

This way you can always keep your Windows and Office up-to-date. Of course, Jerzy\'s suggestion is very good, unless it is security issue, you might want to wait until the more complete and more stable service packs come out instead of intalling every individual update.

Collapse

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
They don't do it Sep 19, 2002

for free.

They are watching you!

Regards

Andrzej

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Microsoft updates are offered for free

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »