How do I increase increase the memory available to Word?
Thread poster: Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:52
German to English
Aug 14, 2002

Sometimes when I\'m using Trados 5.5 it pops up with a message saying that word is running out of memory. How do I increase the memory available to Word? Or do I have a Trados problem - it never happens except when I\'m using Trados?

Thanks

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:52
English to German
+ ...
More details...? Aug 14, 2002

Hi Gillian,

to get to the bottom of your problem, more information is required:

- How much RAM does your system have?

- Which operating system do you use?

- Which Word version do you use?

- What is the exact error message?

Generally speaking, interaction between Word and Workbench can be improved by adjusting the Cac
... See more
Hi Gillian,

to get to the bottom of your problem, more information is required:

- How much RAM does your system have?

- Which operating system do you use?

- Which Word version do you use?

- What is the exact error message?

Generally speaking, interaction between Word and Workbench can be improved by adjusting the CacheSize settings in Word (see support.trados.com/faq.asp#416).

Collapse

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Insufficient memory ... Aug 14, 2002

Hi Gillian,

Is it the message that says \'Word has insufficient memory, if you do this you won\'t be able to undo it\'? (Or something along those lines!).

If so, then I get it as well, but only in Word and only when using Trados. It doesn\'t seem too sinister as it just seems to carry on as normal afterwards! I have 384 MB of RAM, so I suspect it\'s a Trados problem

Regards

... See more
Hi Gillian,

Is it the message that says \'Word has insufficient memory, if you do this you won\'t be able to undo it\'? (Or something along those lines!).

If so, then I get it as well, but only in Word and only when using Trados. It doesn\'t seem too sinister as it just seems to carry on as normal afterwards! I have 384 MB of RAM, so I suspect it\'s a Trados problem

Regards

Mary
Collapse

Gillian Searl
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Technical stuff! Aug 14, 2002

RAM: 248 MB

Windows 98

Office 2000

Yes, Mary something like that:\'Word has insufficient memory, if you do this you won\'t be able to undo it\'? I\'ll carry on working and copy it the next time it pops up.

Ralf: I looked at that support but don\'t have either of those files on my PC (support8.dot (Word 97) or support9.dot (Word 2000)).

Gillian Searl
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Here it is again: Aug 14, 2002

Word has insufficient memory. You will not be able to undo this action once it is completed. Do you want to continue?

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Snap! Aug 14, 2002

That one pops up for me every so often as well! I\'ve always just said yes and everything\'s been hunky-dory!

Grigoriy Smirnov
Grigoriy Smirnov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:52
English to Russian
+ ...
Try FreeRAM XP Pro Aug 14, 2002

Previously I had similar problems with Word

but some time ago I installed this small program and it works very well.

\"FreeRAM XP Pro is a freeware application to free and defragment your computer’s RAM (Random Access Memory). As you use your computer, open applications, surf the Internet, and navigate Windows, your system’s memory will usually decrease because some software do not use memory correctly or do not return all of it after it is done using it. Free
... See more
Previously I had similar problems with Word

but some time ago I installed this small program and it works very well.

\"FreeRAM XP Pro is a freeware application to free and defragment your computer’s RAM (Random Access Memory). As you use your computer, open applications, surf the Internet, and navigate Windows, your system’s memory will usually decrease because some software do not use memory correctly or do not return all of it after it is done using it. FreeRAM XP Pro frees up this memory, thereby increasing system response time, stability, speed, and efficiency. As a result, FreeRAM XP Pro is recommended for almost anyone, from low memory systems to high memory systems, from home office users to MP3ers to 3-D gamers.\"

FreeRAM XP Pro site:

http://www.yourwaresolutions.com

I hope, it will helps you too.

Grigoriy

P.S. The program works with Win 95/98/ME/2000/XP (as authors stated) and I use it with Win98.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-14 18:31 ]
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
RAM Idle... Aug 14, 2002

It\'s a problem of insufficient memory. As Grigoriy says, if you have many programs open or are surfing the net at the same time, you will eventually run out of memory, even with 248 MB... the best thing to do is to close all the programs you don\'t need and to install something like FreeRAM XP if you use XP, otherwise, I would suggest RAM Idle, which is free - available form http://www.tweaknow.com/ - it\'s a unlimited trial ... See more
It\'s a problem of insufficient memory. As Grigoriy says, if you have many programs open or are surfing the net at the same time, you will eventually run out of memory, even with 248 MB... the best thing to do is to close all the programs you don\'t need and to install something like FreeRAM XP if you use XP, otherwise, I would suggest RAM Idle, which is free - available form http://www.tweaknow.com/ - it\'s a unlimited trial version. With it, everytime your free RAM sinks below, let\'s say 100 MB, you can click on the icon in your tray and free some more, thus preventing insufficient memory messages from Word. This is because both Word 2000 and Trados use a huge amount of memory.

Good luck!

Giovanni
Collapse

Carlos Moreno
Carlos Moreno  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 20:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
From the Trados Translation Guide... Aug 14, 2002

Page 3-28:

Word 97 and Word 2000: For advanced users, we recommend changing some registry settings to speed Word considerable. To do this, use the RegOptions macro from the Support8.dot template shipped with Word 97 or the Support9.dot template shipped with Word 2000. This template provides macros that can be used for manipulating the registry...

(Find the macro with Explorer, and double click on it to execute it)

...The Registry options that most speed up Word are
... See more
Page 3-28:

Word 97 and Word 2000: For advanced users, we recommend changing some registry settings to speed Word considerable. To do this, use the RegOptions macro from the Support8.dot template shipped with Word 97 or the Support9.dot template shipped with Word 2000. This template provides macros that can be used for manipulating the registry...

(Find the macro with Explorer, and double click on it to execute it)

...The Registry options that most speed up Word are Cachesize and Bitmapmemory, both of which are, by default, set to 64. We recommend changing this value to 512 or 1024.

...And believe me, it makes Word fly!

You can also get the macros from

http://support.microsoft.com/support/

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-14 16:01 ]
Collapse

Gillian Searl
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I've just expanded my memory Aug 24, 2002

A family member recommended www.crucial.com and I ordered some extra RAM on Thursday. They really helped me to get the right product and it arrived on Friday. Support line was free, the memory was cheap and they helped me enormously. I was delighted that I got such good service so why don\'t you try them too! Now everything is working twice as fast.

Gillian Searl
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER

A family member recommended www.crucial.com and I ordered some extra RAM on Thursday. They really helped me to get the right product and it arrived on Friday. Support line was free, the memory was cheap and they helped me enormously. I was delighted that I got such good service so why don\'t you try them too! Now everything is working twice as fast.

Gillian Searl
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I increase increase the memory available to Word?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »