Thread poster: dinks
dinks
dinks
Local time: 02:06
German to English
+ ...
Oct 26, 2001

Hi everyone,

I am starting out as a freelance translator and was hoping that some of you could give me some tips on the best software available to buy or indeed any software that can be downloaded free etc. I work mainly with French, German or Gaelic into English. Any advice or even general advice to me as a beginner would be greatly appreciated from fellow translators.

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Karin Adamczyk (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:06
French to English
Free translation memory software Oct 27, 2001

Wordfast would be an excellent tool for you to use. It is fully compatible with Trados -- some say much better -- (translation memory software requested by many translation agencies) and is absolutely free (for now).

You can learn more and download the product from http://www.champollion.net/

<
... See more
Wordfast would be an excellent tool for you to use. It is fully compatible with Trados -- some say much better -- (translation memory software requested by many translation agencies) and is absolutely free (for now).

You can learn more and download the product from http://www.champollion.net/

I personally prefer DejaVu (www.atril.com), but Wordfast is an excellent tool for getting started.

HTH,

Karin Adamczyk
Collapse

Joeri Van Liefferinge
Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 03:06
English to Dutch
+ ...
Interested in Déjà Vu? Try it for free... Oct 27, 2001

I agree with Karin on Déjà Vu. You can try it for yourself and download a 30-day trial version (http://www.atril.com).

I\'ve never used WordFast, so I can\'t comment on that, but I certainly prefer Déjà Vu over Trados. And frankly, there\'s no-one I know who knows both Déjà Vu and Trados and prefers Trados... (But maybe I have the wrong friends. ;o) )

I bought Déjà Vu only four months a
... See more
I agree with Karin on Déjà Vu. You can try it for yourself and download a 30-day trial version (http://www.atril.com).

I\'ve never used WordFast, so I can\'t comment on that, but I certainly prefer Déjà Vu over Trados. And frankly, there\'s no-one I know who knows both Déjà Vu and Trados and prefers Trados... (But maybe I have the wrong friends. ;o) )

I bought Déjà Vu only four months ago and I must say: the investment has already yielded.

Anyway, you can try it for free and just quit if you don\'t like it.

HTH

Joeri

PS: No, I have no link whatsoever with Atril... ;o)
Collapse

Anil Goyal
Anil Goyal  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 06:36
English to Hindi
+ ...
Support for Unicode Hindi font Oct 27, 2001

Does anybody know for a good software which support UNICODE fonts? I use Unicode for Hindi.

MOR
MOR
Brazil
Local time: 22:06
English to Portuguese
+ ...
WorFast Nov 9, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-10-27 22:32, abhisys wrote:

Does anybody know for a good software which support UNICODE fonts? I use Unicode for Hindi.

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
WinWord Nov 27, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-10-27 22:32, abhisys wrote:

Dani Karuniawan
Dani Karuniawan  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 08:06
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Better CAT tool? Sep 25, 2015

I bought Trados and Wordfast in the same time. In fact, I completed 99.5% projects using Wordfast [although Trados was more expensive. I am so sorry with my past decision.]

However, wordfast has some drawbacks, such as, no function to import excel to TM, no function to read source-target excel file into wordfast source-target grid, no function to import .txt to tm, and no function to transform glossary into tm (I have
... See more
I bought Trados and Wordfast in the same time. In fact, I completed 99.5% projects using Wordfast [although Trados was more expensive. I am so sorry with my past decision.]

However, wordfast has some drawbacks, such as, no function to import excel to TM, no function to read source-target excel file into wordfast source-target grid, no function to import .txt to tm, and no function to transform glossary into tm (I have been rarely using glossary because I have more than 100,000 entries, which slow my computer down if I use glossary function).

You know, I want to change all my glossaries into tm!!!!!

UNFORTUNATELY, Wordfast is, again, lacking of this functionality.

Wordfast creators are not so good at understanding translator needs.

In short, Wordfast's drawbacks relate to excel file manipulation. You need more work to handle excel files if you work with wordfast.

With this drawbacks, I still use Wordfast (99.5%) than Trados because of real reasons, which will move admins to ban my post if I talk about Trados drawbacks (It did really happen. Admins did not want you to know Trados drawbacks). So, I will not tell you.

[Edited at 2015-09-25 08:56 GMT]
Collapse

DorothyX (X)
DorothyX (X)
France
Of course you can transform TMs into glossaries Sep 25, 2015

Dani Karuniawan wrote:

However, wordfast has some drawbacks, such as, no function to import excel to TM, no function to read source-target excel file into wordfast source-target grid, no function to import .txt to tm, and no function to transform glossary into tm (I have been rarely using glossary because I have more than 100,000 entries, which slow my computer down if I use glossary function).

Wordfast creators are not so good at understanding translator needs.

As Wordfast TMs are in .txt format, it is even very elementary. You can even do this with a free and/or old Wordfast. All WF Classic users know how to do that.

Just import the TM into an Excel file, delete all unnecessary columns (just keep 2 columns: source language and target language), and export into a .txt file. There you have your 'glossary'.

This manipulation can be very handy and speeds up translation.

In order to use it effectively, set Pandora's Box accordingly: CopySourceWhenNoMatch and Propagate1, Propagate2, Propagate3 without understrike (_), (in WF Classic).

WF has been made by a translator and for translators.

As for import .txt glossary or a .txt file into a TM: use WF Plus Tools.
If your file is bilingual and already aligned in two tab separated columns, PlusTools will create a TM in 2 seconds.
If not, align them with the PlusTools align function.

If you have lots of Excel files to translate, you'd better use WF Pro.

By the way, you are answering here a thread that is fourteen years old, and with completely wrong arguments. Bad faith, really.

Have a nice day.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
And one more thing Sep 25, 2015

Dani Karuniawan wrote:
With this drawbacks, I still use Wordfast (99.5%) than Trados because of real reasons, which will move admins to ban my post if I talk about Trados drawbacks (It did really happen. Admins did not want you to know Trados drawbacks). So, I will not tell you.

Your post about Trados drawbacks in the old thread has been removed NOT because "Admins did not want you to know Trados drawbacks", but because your post had nothing to do with the subject of that thread. So you have been asked not to stray from the topic, in accordance with http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/4#4

[Edited at 2015-09-26 13:26 GMT]

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:06
Russian to English
+ ...
Trados ... and OmegaT Sep 26, 2015

Natalie, it's hard to see how a discussion of the drawbacks of one or another CAT tool does not come under the topic of this post, "new freelancer seeks tips on translation software."

That said, my tool of choice is OmegaT, which is free and open source, and has all the functionality I need. It's a great place for newbies to start, because it is much more straightforward than the high-priced tools. (Any CAT tool requires a learning curve, especially if you've never used one before.)
... See more
Natalie, it's hard to see how a discussion of the drawbacks of one or another CAT tool does not come under the topic of this post, "new freelancer seeks tips on translation software."

That said, my tool of choice is OmegaT, which is free and open source, and has all the functionality I need. It's a great place for newbies to start, because it is much more straightforward than the high-priced tools. (Any CAT tool requires a learning curve, especially if you've never used one before.) See omegat.org for more information. The very helpful users' group is at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/OmegaT/conversations/messages. I also have Trados Studio 2014 and Across, but only use them if "forced."

This topic has been discussed on Proz.com for years. Search the archives for more information. There's also this: http://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool

As to other software, you get it as you need it. I use LF Aligner for aligning files to produce a TM; Codezapper for getting the junk tags out of .docx files; ABBYY Finereader for conversion of PDFs to Word; Notepad 2 for a better text editor than what comes with Windows; LibreOffice for an alternative to M$ Office when something weird happens, usually involving encodings.

Good luck.
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Misunderstanding Sep 26, 2015

Susan Welsh wrote:

Susan, this is a clear misunderstanding. Dani Karuniawan meant his own post dating back to April, in completely different thread.

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 04:06
German to Turkish
+ ...
MemoQ Sep 27, 2015

In addition to Wordfast, I also would name MemoQ.

I am familiar with Trados and it is helpful, for the beginning. But there are so many tiny points that make you angry that at the end I looked for another tool and MemoQ was just for me. Currently I am on the trial version and I will invest in it for sure.

As to Wordfast, I worked with it and actually, I am willing to work more frequently. Yet I am very busy and I could not dedicate the required time to be able to use i
... See more
In addition to Wordfast, I also would name MemoQ.

I am familiar with Trados and it is helpful, for the beginning. But there are so many tiny points that make you angry that at the end I looked for another tool and MemoQ was just for me. Currently I am on the trial version and I will invest in it for sure.

As to Wordfast, I worked with it and actually, I am willing to work more frequently. Yet I am very busy and I could not dedicate the required time to be able to use it with full performance. But I will soon add it to my regular CAT tools.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:06
Finnish to French
Easy workaround to convert Wordfast glossaries into TM’s Sep 29, 2015

Dani Karuniawan wrote:

You can do it as follows:
1) open your Wordfast glossary in Excel (very easy, as Wordfast glossaries are tab-delimited text files)
2) insert a line at the very beginning and put language codes there
3) use Heartsome TMX Editor to convert Excel into TMX translation memory, as shown here.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New freelancer seeks tips on translation software

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »