Thread poster: Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:36
German to English
Jul 18, 2002

Hi!

I recently bought Adobe Acrobat 5 - the full works and an agency has sent me a file with some notes in it on changes for me to make/comment on.

How do I edit the document in Adobe Acrobat 5 - you can\'t just click on the text lie a word processor?

Of course the job is mega urgent! Thanks for your help.

Trine A
Trine A
Local time: 07:36
English to Danish
+ ...
Re editing pdf files Jul 18, 2002

Hi Gillian

It is true you can edit text in a pdf file, but it is mainly for small changes, since pdf format means that the text is more or less fixed in its position on the page and you may run into problems with line length/margins. But if you need to add or remove single words or correct spelling mistakes, it will work. The way to do it is by means of the Touch Up Text Tool - a button on the menu bar with an arrow on it. The button has three functions which you can see if
... See more
Hi Gillian

It is true you can edit text in a pdf file, but it is mainly for small changes, since pdf format means that the text is more or less fixed in its position on the page and you may run into problems with line length/margins. But if you need to add or remove single words or correct spelling mistakes, it will work. The way to do it is by means of the Touch Up Text Tool - a button on the menu bar with an arrow on it. The button has three functions which you can see if you click on the little triangle next to it: Touch up text, touch up object and Touch up order. When you select Touch up text (the T symbol) and point to the text you want to edit, a text box shows up around the field and a cursor appears. You can then type your changes. If you select Touch up object and pont to a section of text you can move it around on the page with your mouse or the arrow keys.

However, if there are many changes it is always advisable to perform the revision in the original file, i.e. the Word, Quark or other file on the basis of which the pdf was generated.

I hope this information has been of some help; best of luck with the assignment!

Regards

Trine
Collapse

Trine A
Trine A
English to Danish
+ ...
Re: Help: editing pdf files Jul 18, 2002

Hi Gillian

It is true you can edit text in a pdf file, but it is mainly for small changes, since pdf format means that the text is more or less fixed in its position on the page and you may run into problems with line length/margins. But if you need to add or remove single words or correct spelling mistakes, it will work. The way to do it is by means of the Touch Up Text Tool - a button on the menu bar with an arrow on it. The button has three functions which you can see if
... See more
Hi Gillian

It is true you can edit text in a pdf file, but it is mainly for small changes, since pdf format means that the text is more or less fixed in its position on the page and you may run into problems with line length/margins. But if you need to add or remove single words or correct spelling mistakes, it will work. The way to do it is by means of the Touch Up Text Tool - a button on the menu bar with an arrow on it. The button has three functions which you can see if you click on the little triangle next to it: Touch up text, touch up object and Touch up order. When you select Touch up text (the T symbol) and point to the text you want to edit, a text box shows up around the field and a cursor appears. You can then type your changes. If you select Touch up object and pont to a section of text you can move it around on the page with your mouse or the arrow keys.

However, if there are many changes it is always advisable to perform the revision in the original file, i.e. the Word, Quark or other file on the basis of which the pdf was generated.

I hope this information has been of some help; best of luck with the assignment!

Regards

Trine
Collapse

pbp28
pbp28  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 02:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
notes Jul 18, 2002

to add a note or comment why don\'t you try using the \"note tool\" (if the original config has not been modified, you should have a button: 2nd tool bar, 5th button starting from the left).

To edit the contents of a pdf file I would use post script and the distiller (do you have them?).

hope it works,

Pili

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
To edit a pdf file you should use Jul 18, 2002

the TouchUp Text Tool. It is an icon on the Toolbar which looks like a letter T (in the end of the toolbar, not in the beginning). When you move the mouse cursor over the icons, you see the information on the tools, so you can easily find what you want,

Click on the TouchUp Text Tool icon to select the tool, then click on the text to be edited. You\'ll see the blinking cursor. Edit the text as you usually do in a word editor (you can edit only one line at a time).

... See more
the TouchUp Text Tool. It is an icon on the Toolbar which looks like a letter T (in the end of the toolbar, not in the beginning). When you move the mouse cursor over the icons, you see the information on the tools, so you can easily find what you want,

Click on the TouchUp Text Tool icon to select the tool, then click on the text to be edited. You\'ll see the blinking cursor. Edit the text as you usually do in a word editor (you can edit only one line at a time).

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-18 12:38 ]
Collapse

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
Using the Text TouchUp Tool Jul 18, 2002

You can use the Text TouchUp Tool to make some minor changes within the same line.

Text TouchUp tool (T) is the last icon on the Acrobat Toolbar. There is another (T) with a dash line box on the lower right corner. That is the Text Select Tool.

tongue tied
tongue tied
Local time: 06:36
English
Editing a PDF Jul 18, 2002

With the full Acrobat 5 you can add your own notes or edit the existing notes with the corrected translation for the agency to change or return to the original translator for editing in the source document. You can also highlight or circle anything that needs changing to make it more obvious.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help: editing pdf files

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »