HELP! Cyrillic text gets garbled up after clean-up!
Thread poster: Vladimir Stepanov
Vladimir Stepanov
Vladimir Stepanov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 00:39
English to Russian
+ ...
Jun 17, 2005

I pulled just about every trick out of my arsenal, and but the problem is still there. All the font mapping settings in Trados are for Arial Cyr or Arial CYR, but it doesn't make any difference!

Please, help!

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:39
English to German
+ ...
Which version? Jun 17, 2005

Hi Vladimir,
Can't help you directly, as I have no experience with cyrillic fonts. However, it will be helpful to quote your Trados version (check the full version number under Help - About...), and the document format (Word? HTML? DTP - if yes, which?) where this problem arises.

Best regards,
Ralf

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:39
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Check the formating of Word-document (if this is it) Jun 17, 2005

Be sure, no fonts are used you don't have on your system. Check, if no Chinese or Japanese formating is used.
Set the language in your document to Russian.
AND DO NOT CLEAN IN WORKBENCH! Use the macro tw4winClean.Main (press ALT+F8, search for it an let it run). Be aware, that then no update of your TM is made and that you need to repeat this macor for each header and footer and any textbox you have in your text.
All this asumes you are refering to Word. For all above advices t
... See more
Be sure, no fonts are used you don't have on your system. Check, if no Chinese or Japanese formating is used.
Set the language in your document to Russian.
AND DO NOT CLEAN IN WORKBENCH! Use the macro tw4winClean.Main (press ALT+F8, search for it an let it run). Be aware, that then no update of your TM is made and that you need to repeat this macor for each header and footer and any textbox you have in your text.
All this asumes you are refering to Word. For all above advices the Trados version does not have any meaning.

Use the search function on this forum for "garbaged characters" or similar - we have had this topic many times before, maybe you'll find more advices then.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Vladimir Stepanov
Vladimir Stepanov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 00:39
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OMG, Jerzy, you're the BEST!!! Jun 17, 2005

Jerzy, thanks so very much for your most helpful advice! This is exactly what I needed! I am going to copy it in my records for future reference!

Vladek

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HELP! Cyrillic text gets garbled up after clean-up!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »