Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Local time: 09:12
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Mar 6, 2019

This problem plagues me since months and has gotten worse with time. When I am using Wordfast Pro or Memsource, the CTRL key sometimes appears to get "stuck" - meaning instead of typing letters the program reads key combinations. I have sticky keys disabled and reinstalled the keyboard and the CAT tools several times. At first it seemed to be sufficient to simply press the two CTRL keys at same time for the problem to go away, and the problem anyway just appeared sometimes. I could see the keys ... See more
This problem plagues me since months and has gotten worse with time. When I am using Wordfast Pro or Memsource, the CTRL key sometimes appears to get "stuck" - meaning instead of typing letters the program reads key combinations. I have sticky keys disabled and reinstalled the keyboard and the CAT tools several times. At first it seemed to be sufficient to simply press the two CTRL keys at same time for the problem to go away, and the problem anyway just appeared sometimes. I could see the keys activated on the OSK. Lately I have not been able to do any work for longer than a few minutes without this to happen, and the OSK does not show the keys as activated, but the key combinations are still being read. It only happens when using the CAT tools and once the key gets "stuck" in the CAT tool, it also gets stuck in Chrome. After some seconds or in some cases minutes everything goes back to normal.
My last attempt at fixing this was a complete Windows reinstall (I did keep my files, but might try again to reinstall without the files).
Has anyone experienced this or could give me other ideas for solutions I could try to sort this out?
Collapse

Elif Baykara Narbay

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 16:12
Chinese to English
+ ...
Cleaning Mar 6, 2019

If a Windows reinstall does not solve the issue, it may simply be a dirty keyboard - try taking out the keys, clean them using appropriate tools, and see if that solves the problem.

Also, check if using a different keyboard/external keyboard solves the problem. Actually, try this first?

[Edited at 2019-03-06 08:53 GMT]

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Only when CAT tools are used Mar 6, 2019

Please note that this problem does not appear completely randomly, therefore I do not believe a dirty key is to blame. It exclusively happens when I use CAT tools. I use lots of other programs throughout the week, for example CAD/CAM, Microsoft office, Chrome (without using a CAT tool at same time) and not once did I have this problem in any of these. If the keys were dirty, the problem would appear with these programs, as well.
I will try to find another keyboard to try if it makes a diff
... See more
Please note that this problem does not appear completely randomly, therefore I do not believe a dirty key is to blame. It exclusively happens when I use CAT tools. I use lots of other programs throughout the week, for example CAD/CAM, Microsoft office, Chrome (without using a CAT tool at same time) and not once did I have this problem in any of these. If the keys were dirty, the problem would appear with these programs, as well.
I will try to find another keyboard to try if it makes a difference, but I would welcome other suggestions.
Collapse

Elif Baykara Narbay

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 11:12
German to Turkish
+ ...
Same problem Mar 6, 2019

It happened to me about one month ago.

The first time it happened, I was using Studio 2019 on a project of quite a high volume. And I was traveling and didn't have/find a spare KB.

It happened again a few days later, on another Studio project.

At first, I thought that my KB needs cleaning, then I realized that it only happens on Studio, not even on memoQ or other web-based CAT tools.

It resolved all by itself and I have almost forgotten it un
... See more
It happened to me about one month ago.

The first time it happened, I was using Studio 2019 on a project of quite a high volume. And I was traveling and didn't have/find a spare KB.

It happened again a few days later, on another Studio project.

At first, I thought that my KB needs cleaning, then I realized that it only happens on Studio, not even on memoQ or other web-based CAT tools.

It resolved all by itself and I have almost forgotten it until I see your post.

I use a Dell with i7, Studio 2019 Freelancer. Now that we are two people, if you will submit a ticket to any of CAT tool companies, I can provide the details needed.

E.
Collapse

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Common factor of SDL Trados, Wordfast and Memsource? Mar 6, 2019

It would be interesting to find out if SDL Trados, Wordfast and Memsource have a common factor that could contribute to this.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CTRL key stuck in several CAT tools and Chrome

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »