Segmentation problem (Heartsome: Extra space at segment start)
Thread poster: Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 7, 2019

I'm currently trying to make Heartsome CAT work for me. The problem I'm having is that the segments not located at the start of a paragraph have an extra leading space. I've tried selecting OmegaT and LanguageTool SRX files instead of the default ones, but then the source file gets segmented by paragraphs only. Meanwhile, if I select a presegmented SDLXLIFF file from a Studio project, the resulting Heartsome XLIFF file doesn't have the extra leading spaces.

Can you think of a solut
... See more
I'm currently trying to make Heartsome CAT work for me. The problem I'm having is that the segments not located at the start of a paragraph have an extra leading space. I've tried selecting OmegaT and LanguageTool SRX files instead of the default ones, but then the source file gets segmented by paragraphs only. Meanwhile, if I select a presegmented SDLXLIFF file from a Studio project, the resulting Heartsome XLIFF file doesn't have the extra leading spaces.

Can you think of a solution to this?
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:20
English to Spanish
That's not a problem Feb 8, 2019

That's not a problem. That is how it is meant to be.

The space at the beginning of a segment is there because you are dealing with a western language and there actually is a space between two sentences in the source document. If you translate into Chinese, for example, you will not put that space in the target text. If you translate into French for Canada, you might want to put two spaces instead of one.

You can use a custom SRX file and send the space to the skeleton (
... See more

The space at the beginning of a segment is there because you are dealing with a western language and there actually is a space between two sentences in the source document. If you translate into Chinese, for example, you will not put that space in the target text. If you translate into French for Canada, you might want to put two spaces instead of one.

You can use a custom SRX file and send the space to the skeleton (the ones you tried are not good examples). It is easy to do but it is really a bad idea.

Regards,
Rodolfo
Collapse

Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How do I send the space to skeleton and what are good examples? Feb 8, 2019

Rodolfo Raya wrote:

You can use a custom SRX file and send the space to the skeleton (the ones you tried are not good examples). It is easy to do but it is really a bad idea.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Thank you for your comment, Rodolfo! Strange, I haven't ever encountered segments with a leading space in the editor view inserted by default in any other CAT tool I've tried. How do I send the space to the skeleton then? And what are good examples of SRX files in this case?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Segmentation problem (Heartsome: Extra space at segment start)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »