Thread poster: Gabriela Frazao
Gabriela Frazao
Gabriela Frazao  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:29
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 11, 2002

I would like to know how to shorten a .jpg file.

I really don\'t know if it is possible.

Thanks in advance.

Gabriela Frazao, Portugal

Jake Estrada FCIL CL
Jake Estrada FCIL CL  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 21:29
Member (2003)
English to Tagalog
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
You could do it using file compression (or cropping) Jun 11, 2002

Hi Gabriela:

As far as I know, there are two main ways to \"shorten\" a jpg file, or any image file for that matter (gif, bmp, tif, etc): one is to CROP the file (i.e. literally cut out the portions of the picture that you do not need); and the other way is to COMPRESS the file. Both methods would result in a smaller file size.

If you would rather retain all the components of your entire image, then FILE COMPRESSION is the way to go. This method primaril
... See more
Hi Gabriela:

As far as I know, there are two main ways to \"shorten\" a jpg file, or any image file for that matter (gif, bmp, tif, etc): one is to CROP the file (i.e. literally cut out the portions of the picture that you do not need); and the other way is to COMPRESS the file. Both methods would result in a smaller file size.

If you would rather retain all the components of your entire image, then FILE COMPRESSION is the way to go. This method primarily involves decreasing the quality/crispness/detail of the image in order to achieve a smaller file size. If you are not really concerned about the quality of the picture (and are willing to sacrifice it for the sake of decreasing file size), then go ahead with this process.

You would need an image editor to perform file compression. If your favorite image software does not support this feature, then you can try out some freeware on the web.

I looked around a bit using google and found an example. Try out this file compression software that\'s available for free download: http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/gmm/fwgcomp.shtml.

File compression will shave off between 10% to 50% of the original file size, depending on the extent of compression you would allow.

Hope this helps!
Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:29
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
also: resize image, reduce resolution Jun 11, 2002

Depending on the file, you could also reduce the overall file size by reducing the image dimensions, or its resolution. It really depends on what sw you have at hand, and what the initial jpeg is like.

In Photoshop, for instance:

- you can change the compression settings in the File > Save for Web dialog box

- you can crop with the crop tool

- you can change the image size or its resolution in the Image > Image size dialog box.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Zip it Jun 11, 2002

You can reduce the file size using WinZip by right-clicking on the filename in Windows Explorer and clicking on the WinZip option to compress the file. The recipient can then expand it to the original size.

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 15:29
English to Dutch
+ ...
Thanks Jake and Roberta Jun 11, 2002

Thanks for taking the time to share this information.

That\'s exactly what these forums are (also) made for.

I\'m not a wizard when it comes to such subjects and always enjoy receiving tips that make my life less miserable
[addsig]

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
Photocrunch 2.0 Jun 11, 2002

does exactly what you want. Download it for free from:

http://www.webattack.com/get/photocrunch.shtml

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Thanks to Marcus Jun 12, 2002

Thanks for the link to PhotoCrunch 2.0. I have downloaded and registered it, and I think it will be very useful to me.

Gabriela Frazao
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 16, 2002

Hi Jake!

Your suggestion was extremely useful, and I have my problem solved.

Thanks.

Quote:

On 2002-06-11 01:54, jice wrote:

Hi Gabriela:

As far as I know, there are two main ways to \"shorten\" a jpg file, or any image file for that matter (gif, bmp, tif, etc): one is to CROP the file (i.e. literally cut out the portions of the picture that you do not need); and the ot... See more
Hi Jake!

Your suggestion was extremely useful, and I have my problem solved.

Thanks.

Quote:

On 2002-06-11 01:54, jice wrote:

Hi Gabriela:

If you would rather retain all the components of your entire image, then FILE COMPRESSION is the way to go. This method primarily involves decreasing the quality/crispness/detail of the image in order to achieve a smaller file size. If you are not really concerned about the quality of the picture (and are willing to sacrifice it for the sake of decreasing file size), then go ahead with this process.

You would need an image editor to perform file compression. If your favorite image software does not support this feature, then you can try out some freeware on the web.

I looked around a bit using google and found an example. Try out this file compression software that\'s available for free download: http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/gmm/fwgcomp.shtml.

File compression will shave off between 10% to 50% of the original file size, depending on the extent of compression you would allow.

Hope this helps!

Collapse

Gabriela Frazao
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to everybody! Jun 16, 2002

All suggestions were very useful.

Thanks to everybody.

Nikolai Muraviev
Nikolai Muraviev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:29
English to Russian
+ ...
Reduce resolution! Jun 18, 2002

Normally, jpg for web-pages have resolution 72 dpi, scanned pictures have 300 dpi. So if you have scanned bitmap with res. 300 dpi, you can reduce it by decreasing resolution to 72 dpi.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to shorten a .jpg file?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »