CAT tools questionnaire (open source vs. closed source)
Thread poster: lp2760
lp2760
lp2760
Slovenia
Jul 24, 2018

Dear translators,

I'm a student of Ethnology and Cultural Anthropology and French language (starting my MA degree in Translation in October) at the University of Ljubljana, Slovenia. With this questionnaire I would like to find out what you think about open-source CAT tools. The primary purpose is to find people who work on CAT tools projects, but all other inputs are welcome too.

Thank you for your help!

LINK: LINK: CAT tools questionnaire
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
more perspectives the better, say what? Jul 25, 2018

From specific questions regarding one's location and alma mater to reflections about preferred tools, diffusing to referrals...

I use free and outdated working software, and I think that "a secret 40-year-old multi-billion CAT know-how" is but a relatively simple RegEx with a database, coupled with all those bells and whistles add to the cost, yet it has nothing to do with developers and programmers one may know.

While th
... See more
From specific questions regarding one's location and alma mater to reflections about preferred tools, diffusing to referrals...

I use free and outdated working software, and I think that "a secret 40-year-old multi-billion CAT know-how" is but a relatively simple RegEx with a database, coupled with all those bells and whistles add to the cost, yet it has nothing to do with developers and programmers one may know.

While they keep marketing CAT tools as a must, I still can't see how the fact that most translators are not programmers and don't care much about the source code/license type derives to possible third party spam?

Shortly, many sensible respondents and I would object to leaving other people's contacts (e-mail, Facebook link, project’s webpage, …) for an unknown to contact them (on behalf of who?) and ask a few additional (what kind of?) questions.

No difference
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tools questionnaire (open source vs. closed source)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »