What is essential for a CAT-tool to provide regarding TM maintenance?
Thread poster: MarionCoessens
MarionCoessens
MarionCoessens
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Dec 20, 2017

Hi everyone! I am a student and working on a paper about translation memory maintenance in SDL Trados Studio and in Google Translator Toolkit. In order to compare those tools regarding TM maintenance, I should make a list of what translators find essential in TM maintenance (e.g. in TM maintenance I should be able to edit and remove translation units easily). That way, I can check if those features or aspects are present in the tools I am investigating.
So, my question is: what do you find
... See more
Hi everyone! I am a student and working on a paper about translation memory maintenance in SDL Trados Studio and in Google Translator Toolkit. In order to compare those tools regarding TM maintenance, I should make a list of what translators find essential in TM maintenance (e.g. in TM maintenance I should be able to edit and remove translation units easily). That way, I can check if those features or aspects are present in the tools I am investigating.
So, my question is: what do you find essential for a CAT-tool to provide regarding TM maintenance?
Thank you so much for you answers!

[Edited at 2017-12-20 16:04 GMT]
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
crutches: bells and whistles Dec 21, 2017

CATs are to assist the translator, not to diminish his efficiency or profits, nor to make translation a barely mechanical calculation.

In this view the main feature for me is CONTEXT for CATs cut sentences out of the idea, switching the languages, styles and audience too. Without the proper context it's all but a garbled version, IMO.

Concordance and references are a must for me.

Indeed, using segments as paragraphs instead of 'sentences' coul
... See more
CATs are to assist the translator, not to diminish his efficiency or profits, nor to make translation a barely mechanical calculation.

In this view the main feature for me is CONTEXT for CATs cut sentences out of the idea, switching the languages, styles and audience too. Without the proper context it's all but a garbled version, IMO.

Concordance and references are a must for me.

Indeed, using segments as paragraphs instead of 'sentences' could make it better, yet still...

Cheers
Collapse

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:34
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
merging, assigning attributes Dec 21, 2017

Hmm, I had never thought about TM maintenance before.
I like to see instantly where a particular match is coming from, so at the moment I work with separate TMs from separate sources (EMA terminology, European terminology, terms used in Company X's lab manuals etc.
It might be useful to be able to put more related segments into one TM, but only if I can see where the segment came from (e.g. what project I was working on at the time) when the CAT tool detects a match.
Merging di
... See more
I like to see instantly where a particular match is coming from, so at the moment I work with separate TMs from separate sources (EMA terminology, European terminology, terms used in Company X's lab manuals etc.
It might be useful to be able to put more related segments into one TM, but only if I can see where the segment came from (e.g. what project I was working on at the time) when the CAT tool detects a match.
Merging different TMs should be easy to do - for some tools, that can be a bit fiddly.
I don't ever manually edit any TMs, apart from changing source codes ("nld" for a particular CAT tool one of my clients likes, to "nl" so I can use the TM in Wordfast).
TMs that can be used directly in different CAT tools would be nice, but does not seem very realistic at the moment.

Good luck with your paper - because many of us just work with them, not actively maintain TMs (I think!), this might be quite a tricky one to research!
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
nld? Dec 21, 2017

Marjolein Snippe wrote:

Merging different TMs should be easy to do - for some tools, that can be a bit fiddly.
I don't ever manually edit any TMs, apart from changing source codes ("nld" for a particular CAT tool one of my clients likes, to "nl" so I can use the TM in Wordfast).
TMs that can be used directly in different CAT tools would be nice, but does not seem very realistic at the moment.

Good luck with your paper - because many of us just work with them, not actively maintain TMs (I think!), this might be quite a tricky one to research!

Is there a CAT tool that exports tmx files with a nld code? What is it? That's clearly wrong, i.e. incompatible with the tmx spec.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Transit? Dec 21, 2017

FarkasAndras wrote:

Is there a CAT tool that exports tmx files with a nld code? What is it? That's clearly wrong, i.e. incompatible with the tmx spec.

If memory serves, Transit will use that language code in TUs when performing certain actions (like converting old Transit language pairs to TMX).

MarionCoessens
MarionCoessens
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 22, 2017

Thank you so much for your responses!!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
On NLD Dec 25, 2017

FarkasAndras wrote:
Marjolein Snippe wrote:

Is there a CAT tool that exports tmx files with an "nld" code? ... That's clearly wrong, i.e. incompatible with the tmx spec.

Well, I'm no expert, but:
The TMX 1.4 specification states that the primary subtag of language codes are non-case-sensitive and are the codes described in RFC 3066. RFC 3066 describes both 2- and 3-letter codes. The 3-letter codes (ISO 639-2) include "nld". What am I missing?

1. https://www.gala-global.org/tmx-14b
2. http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3066.txt

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is essential for a CAT-tool to provide regarding TM maintenance?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »