Will CAT tools be the same in 50 years?
Thread poster: Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 19, 2017

This is a point-of-view posting, a rhetorical question. You've been warned.

I recently read an article about IBM's approach to training. IBM's CEO, Ginni Rometty, said during an interview (Sep 2017):

“In the U.S., in 2015, half of our young people didn’t have an associate’s degree or a college degree. That’s the problem today: the number of people that need to be retrained. I’m far more optimistic that public-private partnerships can solve this dilemma. There
... See more
This is a point-of-view posting, a rhetorical question. You've been warned.

I recently read an article about IBM's approach to training. IBM's CEO, Ginni Rometty, said during an interview (Sep 2017):

“In the U.S., in 2015, half of our young people didn’t have an associate’s degree or a college degree. That’s the problem today: the number of people that need to be retrained. I’m far more optimistic that public-private partnerships can solve this dilemma. There will be a hundred pathways to technology becoming viral, driven by governors and states. I always remember when President Obama came to the first one, he goes, “Where are all the computers?” We’re like, “That’s not what we teach these kids.” We’re teaching them a skill about math and problem-solving that’s going to transcend any technology they deal with.

That made me think: What is more important, to understand the basics of working with tools for language and translation, or to learn CAT tools? I bet that it's more important to have a sound foundation, regardless of the tools and technologies we encounter or have availability to in order to do our job.

So I think I'll still be using SDL Trados, memoQ and Déjà Vu X3 for the next 5-7 years. After that, maybe a new set of tools or technological paradigm will substitute our beloved software. Hopefully, we'll have tools that use a user-defined type of segment to process in CAT tools. Not just a phrase or a sentence but a whole paragraph, with graphics and video. Who knows?

Regardless, I think it's important to study the Humanities, not just math and science, to have a well-rounded education.

The article in question can be found here: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-09-20/ginni-rometty-on-artificial-intelligence
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:49
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Studio will be! Dec 19, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:
maybe a new set of tools or technological paradigm will substitute our beloved software

... Studio will still have the same annoying bugs, even in 50 years, that´s for sure ...

[Edited at 2017-12-19 15:54 GMT]

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Continual retraining Dec 19, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

...That’s the problem today: the number of people that need to be retrained.

That's not the problem, that's the solution.

Education today has to be about learning how to learn - a lifelong process of learning new ways of doing things. The way we do things today will be significantly different in ten years and barely recognizable in 50 years.

CAT tools will still be around in 2067, in the basic sense of the term "Computer Aided Translation". They will be doing a lot of different things than they do today. Undoubtedly artificial intelligence will play a major part.

To get the perspective, just look at the difference between CAT tools in 1967 and today. They did exist then, but only as an academic oddity in a handful of high-tech research centres.

So it's not really a question of what CAT tools will be like in 50 years but whether those who use them will have been able to keep up with their changes.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CAT tools in 1967 Dec 19, 2017

John Fossey wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:

...That’s the problem today: the number of people that need to be retrained.

That's not the problem, that's the solution.

Education today has to be about learning how to learn - a lifelong process of learning new ways of doing things. The way we do things today will be significantly different in ten years and barely recognizable in 50 years.

CAT tools will still be around in 2067, in the basic sense of the term "Computer Aided Translation". They will be doing a lot of different things than they do today. Undoubtedly artificial intelligence will play a major part.

To get the perspective, just look at the difference between CAT tools in 1967 and today. They did exist then, but only as an academic oddity in a handful of high-tech research centres.

So it's not really a question of what CAT tools will be like in 50 years but whether those who use them will have been able to keep up with their changes.

I'm curious: where can I see a chart comparing those differences with CAT tools circa 1967?

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Wikipedia Dec 19, 2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_machine_translation

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Will CAT tools be the same in 50 years?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »