esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:32
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Language Dec 12, 2017

Daniel Frisano wrote:
…I always start with a blank file and paste the text with the "unformatted unicode text" option. Anyway, I'll switch to .txt, problem solved.

Judging by this description, most probably, the language set for the text does not match the actual language. In such case, most or all words will be marked as misspelled (that is obvious) and, as decided bad coders from Microsoft, will be tagged (not so obvious).

[Edited at 2017-12-12 08:20 GMT]

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:32
Russian to English
+ ...
OmegaT is a terrific tool Dec 14, 2017

If you are seeing too many tags, it is because of the MS Word .docx or equivalent structure, not OmegaT. To get rid of them, you put the Word file through the apps Codezapper or TransTools. Then you put the file into OmegaT and all is well.

OmegaT is not "minimalist," but it can be used in a minimalist way if you don't want to take advantage of its other formidable capabilities (and the great tech support group on Yahoo). See also the OmegaT support forum on Proz.

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 01:32
Chinese to English
+ ...
OmegaT tags Dec 14, 2017

Susan Welsh wrote:

If you are seeing too many tags, it is because of the MS Word .docx or equivalent structure, not OmegaT. To get rid of them, you put the Word file through the apps Codezapper or TransTools. Then you put the file into OmegaT and all is well.

OmegaT is not "minimalist," but it can be used in a minimalist way if you don't want to take advantage of its other formidable capabilities (and the great tech support group on Yahoo). See also the OmegaT support forum on Proz.

Or just use "Remove Tags" in OmegaT.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
No tags at all Dec 19, 2017

I wrote:

CafeTran has no annoying tags. It has less tags, and they are represented by a small red digit that doesn't distract:

Actually, you can instruct CafeTran to display no tags at all:

The source segment will display no tags, just the formatting:

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Annoying tags Dec 19, 2017

Hans Lenting wrote:

Daniel Frisano wrote:
Also, I tried to open a simple text file and OmegaT showed annoying tags EVERYWHERE.

I checked CafeTran Espresso and it requires Java. Why?!?

If you can run omegaT, you can also run CafeTran. Java is required to make it useable on several platforms (Linux, Windows, Mac, etc.).

CafeTran has no annoying tags. It has less tags, and they are represented by a small red digit that doesn't distract:

Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 19.02.16

I haven't used CafeTrans but if those underscript red numbers represent the tags or codes, what happens when a chemistry text is being translated, with chemical symbols and such?

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
No annoying tags – only when you where you want them Dec 19, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

I haven't used CafeTrans but if those underscript red numbers represent the tags or codes, what happens when a chemistry text is being translated, with chemical symbols and such?

You can use Unicode superscript letters:

Screen Shot 2017-12-19 at 19.05.18

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
OmegaT and tags Dec 20, 2017

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Yes, you can do that, but it removes ALL tags, including font changes within a segment. So you'll have to consider whether putting font changes back in afterwards is going to be a problem in your particular document.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:32
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
DGT-OmegaT's Tagwipe Jan 2, 2018

Susan Welsh wrote:

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Yes, you can do that, but it removes ALL tags, including font changes within a segment. So you'll have to consider whether putting font changes back in afterwards is going to be a problem in your particular document.

Or, you could try the fork ‘DGT-OmegaT’ @ http://185.13.37.79/?q=node/35 … where the DGT actually developed their own version of Codezapper/TransTools for use in OmegaT...

tagwipe

see: https://www.proz.com/forum/omegat_support/321707-dgt_omegat.html

[Edited at 2018-01-02 16:14 GMT]

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:32
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Feb 1, 2018

After trying them all for at least 3 projects each, Wordfast Pro it is, with CafeTran Expresso as my second choice. Goodbye Trados.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:32
English to Turkish
+ ...
One more test maybe Feb 1, 2018

Hi Daniel,

Did you try Deja Vu X3? I bet you will love it but if you don't want to install another software for testing only, then you can have a look at the videos: https://atrilsolutions.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205542431-Déjà-Vu-X3-videos

Selcuk

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Minimalist CAT tools?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »