Thread poster: Penelope3011 (X)
Penelope3011 (X)
Penelope3011 (X)
Slovenia
Local time: 17:56
German to English
Nov 28, 2017

Hi there fellow translators,

Apologies if I am asking what thousands have done before, but if anyone has any feedback on the best professional translation software for Mac I would really appreciate your advice. I was about to go with Trados but then discovered it is a bit of an ado to get it all set up with Parallels and Bootcamp etc.
I ideally need a CAT tool that can generate .xlf or .wsxz files/packages.

Many thanks!

Michaela Moosbrugger
Michaela Moosbrugger
Austria
Local time: 17:56
English to German
+ ...
Virtual Machine Nov 28, 2017

Why don't you just install a virtual machine on your Mac that runs Windows? Then you can run any translation SW you want on it.
VMware Workstation, for example, is free and easy to use.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
CafeTran on Mac Nov 28, 2017

Penelope3011 wrote:

Hi there fellow translators,

Apologies if I am asking what thousands have done before, but if anyone has any feedback on the best professional translation software for Mac I would really appreciate your advice. I was about to go with Trados but then discovered it is a bit of an ado to get it all set up with Parallels and Bootcamp etc.

Many thanks!

Have a look at CafeTran:

https://www.cafetran.com/download-for-mac/

CafeTran can generate/process Studio XLIFF packages. I assume that WSXZ are actually zipped packages with translatable content too. If so, CafeTran can most likely process the embedded content too.

Can somebody verify that?

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:56
English to Spanish
Use Swordfish n Mac Nov 28, 2017

Penelope3011 wrote:

Swordfish is a CAT tool based on XLIFF. It runs fine on macOS, even in High Sierra.

Get Swordfish at https://www.maxprograms.com/products/swordfish.html

Regards,
Rodolfo

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:56
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
CafeTran! Nov 28, 2017

I'd also recommend CafeTran, which I think is the most mature and powerful (not to mention stable and light) CAT tool currently available on the Mac. And on Windows and Linux for that matter.

Michael

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Swordfish! Nov 28, 2017

Rodolfo Raya wrote:

Penelope3011 wrote:

Swordfish is a CAT tool based on XLIFF. It runs fine on macOS, even in High Sierra.

Get Swordfish at https://www.maxprograms.com/products/swordfish.html

Regards,
Rodolfo

Yes, Swordfish is nice too. So is Wordfast Pro.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
What she said Nov 29, 2017

Michaela Moosbrugger wrote:

Why don't you just install a virtual machine on your Mac that runs Windows? Then you can run any translation SW you want on it.
VMware Workstation, for example, is free and easy to use.

I've been using Parallels for Mac since version 3 years ago for my Mac machines. Excellent customization options. It's an inexpensive piece of software and well regarded among different types of professionals, including translators.

Since you are a bit risk averse, may I suggest you download the trial version, give it a try and use your preferred CAT or TEnT tool for a few days? I've used SDL Trados, memoQ and Déjà Vu X3 on Windows under Parallels for Mac.

Systems:
Lenovo IdeaCentre 330 with 64-bit Windows 7 Pro

15-inch Macbook Pro with El Capitan
13-inch Macbook Pro with El Capitan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Software for Mac

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »