Thread poster: Sean Linney (X)
Sean Linney (X)
Sean Linney (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:37
French to English
+ ...
May 5, 2005

I've been using the Word spellchecker in TagEditor, and it seems to work very erratically, sometimes ignoring misspelt words and sometimes suggesting corrections to words which are spelt correctly. With 'install', for instance, it was highlighting the first six letters (instal) and saying that 'instal' wasn't in its dictionary (fair enough, but I hadn't typed 'instal').

Has anyone else experienced similar problems? Does anyone know of a way of getting it to work properly? I'd be gra
... See more
I've been using the Word spellchecker in TagEditor, and it seems to work very erratically, sometimes ignoring misspelt words and sometimes suggesting corrections to words which are spelt correctly. With 'install', for instance, it was highlighting the first six letters (instal) and saying that 'instal' wasn't in its dictionary (fair enough, but I hadn't typed 'instal').

Has anyone else experienced similar problems? Does anyone know of a way of getting it to work properly? I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
Collapse

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:37
English to Danish
+ ...
TagEditor Spellchecking May 6, 2005

I never managed to make spellchecking work properly in TagEditor, so I don't bother trying anymore.
What I usually do is to Copy all and Paste into Word and perform spellchecking there instead. Though this has two disadvanteges: 1) you need to clean and/or delete the codes (to make it work properly), and 2) errors found by the Word spellchecker still needs to be corrected in TagEditor.

Jørgen

Sean Linney (X)
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 6, 2005

Thanks for the suggestion, Jørgen. I think I'll do as you've done and give up using spellchecking in TagEditor.

[Edited at 2005-05-06 15:07]

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:37
Dutch to English
+ ...
Method for spell checking in Word after translating in TagEditor May 6, 2005

Another way to spell check in Word while having TagEditor files.

1. Export your memory once you have translated your files.
2. Open the exported txt file in Word.
3. Find and replace "Seg L=target language" (including the arrow brakets that cannot be reporduced here, i.e. your target definition) with a new style (for example, "Translated" which has been defined as red, 12 point font and your target language while your Normal style is, for example, an Automatic, 10 point
... See more
Another way to spell check in Word while having TagEditor files.

1. Export your memory once you have translated your files.
2. Open the exported txt file in Word.
3. Find and replace "Seg L=target language" (including the arrow brakets that cannot be reporduced here, i.e. your target definition) with a new style (for example, "Translated" which has been defined as red, 12 point font and your target language while your Normal style is, for example, an Automatic, 10 point font).
4. Find and replace Automatic, 10 point font by a language you never work in and, therefore, not supported by your version of Word (I use Bulgarian).
5. Spell check (only the text that has the style Translated will be spell checked).
6. Save your file (txt format).
7. Import into your memory.
8. Pretranslate your files.

This sounds complicated but once you have done it a few times you will get very handy and quick at it. The advantage is that you do not have to delete any codes.

[Edited at 2005-05-06 18:45]
Collapse

Hirundo
Hirundo
Local time: 01:37
English to Dutch
+ ...
Tried using Wintertree spellchecker as work-around? May 7, 2005

Word spellchecker in TagEditor cannot seem to function well, indeed.

On the other hand, have you tried using TagEditors own "Wintertree" spellchecker (if it is available for your language)? You can make this your default spellchecker via Plug-in settings menu.

In addition, I created a custom dictionary for adding words that Wintertree did not recognize, so that it will not ask me the same word twice.

This also seems to work well, with all the advantages an
... See more
Word spellchecker in TagEditor cannot seem to function well, indeed.

On the other hand, have you tried using TagEditors own "Wintertree" spellchecker (if it is available for your language)? You can make this your default spellchecker via Plug-in settings menu.

In addition, I created a custom dictionary for adding words that Wintertree did not recognize, so that it will not ask me the same word twice.

This also seems to work well, with all the advantages and disadvantages that are inherent to Trados.
Collapse

Sean Linney (X)
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 10, 2005

Thanks Asei and Marijke. I'll definitely give these suggestions a try.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados spellchecker problems

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »