How to force SDLX not to segment on line breaks?
Thread poster: Adam Podstawczynski (X)
Adam Podstawczynski (X)
Adam Podstawczynski (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:48
Polish to English
+ ...
Apr 23, 2005

Hi,

I have an Excel sheet with many cells like this:

"Some text goes
to another line. Then another
sentence breaks in the middle
to another line. This
goes on an on."

I need to translate this in SDLX 2004 Clipboard (normal SDLX for Excel files does not work here -- the file is huuuge, and this is simply too slow).

However, I cannot make SDLX Clipboard _NOT_ to break on newlines (i.e. after "goes", "anoter", etc.). Ple
... See more
Hi,

I have an Excel sheet with many cells like this:

"Some text goes
to another line. Then another
sentence breaks in the middle
to another line. This
goes on an on."

I need to translate this in SDLX 2004 Clipboard (normal SDLX for Excel files does not work here -- the file is huuuge, and this is simply too slow).

However, I cannot make SDLX Clipboard _NOT_ to break on newlines (i.e. after "goes", "anoter", etc.). Please note that removing "\n" rule from the segmentation rules does not work. Also, manually joining such segments (Ctrl-j) does not work (says "Cannot join segments over paragraph ends" or something like that).

If the answer is "impossible", do you have an idea on how to replace linebreaks in Excel with something else (e.g. spaces)?
Collapse

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Replace breaks Apr 23, 2005

Replace paragraph marks by line breaks:

Find ^p

Replace with ^l (l for line)

Best,
Esther

(This will only work in Word. Sorry.)

[Edited at 2005-04-23 10:49]

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
ASAP Utilities Apr 23, 2005

I don't know how to solve your problem with SDLX, but you can use ASAP Utilities to replace the line breaks with something else (a space or a temporary combination of characters).

This feature has just been added in the last version, released just a few days ago:

Range :: Find / Replace in all sheets
Besides the normal text you can now also search and replace a few special characters:
- line feed (a
... See more
I don't know how to solve your problem with SDLX, but you can use ASAP Utilities to replace the line breaks with something else (a space or a temporary combination of characters).

This feature has just been added in the last version, released just a few days ago:

Range :: Find / Replace in all sheets
Besides the normal text you can now also search and replace a few special characters:
- line feed (alt+enter, chr(10)) » use {lf}
- carriage return, chr(13) » use {cr}
- horizontal tab, chr(9) » use {t}
Collapse

Adam Podstawczynski (X)
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Apr 24, 2005

Thank you. ASAP is full of features, indeed, and will be certainly helpful in future, so I'm leaving it installed in my system. It has not been helpful this time (either it replaces only arbitrary \n's, \r's, etc., or crashes at certain points), but this might be due to shamelessly huge and probably misformed Excel file. Anyway, thanks again.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Macro Apr 24, 2005

If ASAP doesn't work, then you could probably write a macro for S&R. Or translate the file with TagEditor.

Adam Podstawczynski (X)
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the same idea Apr 24, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

If ASAP doesn't work, then you could probably write a macro for S&R. Or translate the file with TagEditor.

Your last option is what I actually decided to settle on yesterday.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to force SDLX not to segment on line breaks?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »