Thread poster: ahenrick
ahenrick
ahenrick  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:35
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Apr 21, 2005

Hi!

I have attempted to "play" project manager on a very big job. I got PageMaker files from the client, and was asked to download a trial version to translate in. Instead of translating directly in them I decided to make use of Trados and found out how to export the content. When I did DTP after reimporting the files, I noticed that half of one document had not been exported, and several pages of another one. I was supposed to have delivered these files already. I don't know how to
... See more
Hi!

I have attempted to "play" project manager on a very big job. I got PageMaker files from the client, and was asked to download a trial version to translate in. Instead of translating directly in them I decided to make use of Trados and found out how to export the content. When I did DTP after reimporting the files, I noticed that half of one document had not been exported, and several pages of another one. I was supposed to have delivered these files already. I don't know how to proceed now. Is there a way to make sure all stories are properly exported, or do I have to do the rest of the translations directly in PageMaker? (PageMaker has some strange quirks, and I don't have time to figure out how it works.) I hope somebody has some input on this. Thanks in advance for any help! By the way, I have downloaded PageMaker 7.0 and I have Trados 6.5.

Amy
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Not all stories exported from PageMaker Apr 21, 2005

Perhaps this is due to limitations of the trial version.

From the Adobe site:

Limitations of Adobe PageMaker Tryout:
This tryout version is for demonstration purposes only. Many components of the retail version have been left out, including templates, stock art, and other features of PageMaker 7.0 Plus.
In some cases, capability has been altered.
You cannot save or export tryout publications because the Save, Save As, and Exp
... See more
Perhaps this is due to limitations of the trial version.

From the Adobe site:

Limitations of Adobe PageMaker Tryout:
This tryout version is for demonstration purposes only. Many components of the retail version have been left out, including templates, stock art, and other features of PageMaker 7.0 Plus.
In some cases, capability has been altered.
You cannot save or export tryout publications because the Save, Save As, and Export commands are disabled.

Just a hunch.

Marc
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
Layout mistake! Apr 21, 2005

Hi! I think I understand the situation. Normally, when the stories are organized in subfolders having .txt ending, they can be collected from the structure and pagemaker makes a tab or link to all the stories, but if the stories are patched at random, the program would not understand how to link, which is the stories are limited to story board only. In this situation you have a missing stories or "not exporting or importing all stories " situation. This situation may arise also when the layout i... See more
Hi! I think I understand the situation. Normally, when the stories are organized in subfolders having .txt ending, they can be collected from the structure and pagemaker makes a tab or link to all the stories, but if the stories are patched at random, the program would not understand how to link, which is the stories are limited to story board only. In this situation you have a missing stories or "not exporting or importing all stories " situation. This situation may arise also when the layout is done but the stories in the structure have been modified , renamed or removed as well, while layouting. I think now you know to resolve and overcome the situation.
Regards,
Bandi

[Edited at 2005-04-21 17:03]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Not all stories exported from PageMaker

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »