Gwendolyn Hayden
Gwendolyn Hayden
Belgium
Local time: 18:23
English to French
+ ...
Apr 13, 2005

Hi!

I'm currently doing a thesis on the extraction of QuarkXPress files, which can be done by different means that can pose various pbls when passing from one platform to another, so I was wondering if anyone ever thought of and succeeded to convert Quark files to xml, and back to Quark once translated?

I thought this might be a good "universal" solution" for extraction of PC QXP and MAC QXP files.

I've tried xml conversion with demo versions of Atomik and
... See more
Hi!

I'm currently doing a thesis on the extraction of QuarkXPress files, which can be done by different means that can pose various pbls when passing from one platform to another, so I was wondering if anyone ever thought of and succeeded to convert Quark files to xml, and back to Quark once translated?

I thought this might be a good "universal" solution" for extraction of PC QXP and MAC QXP files.

I've tried xml conversion with demo versions of Atomik and Roundtrip (PC QXP 5.0-6.0), but somehow when I reimport the xml text, it is reimported without the changes made to it (so in source language, though it is translated).

Thank you!
Gwen
Collapse

ENGSOL
ENGSOL
German to English
+ ...
Convertint QuarkXPress to XML -- SDLX filters Apr 13, 2005

Gwen,

I'm not familiar with the exact technicalities and I'm not sure this is relevant to your question, but I know SDLX can handle QuarkXPress files and convert them into editable formats.

Here's a recent message I posted in the Forum on the topic:

http://www.proz.com/topic/31153

(SDLX also has an XML f
... See more
Gwen,

I'm not familiar with the exact technicalities and I'm not sure this is relevant to your question, but I know SDLX can handle QuarkXPress files and convert them into editable formats.

(SDLX also has an XML filter..., see www.sdlx.com for more details)
Collapse

Gwendolyn Hayden
Gwendolyn Hayden
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very interesting! Thanks! Apr 13, 2005

Thomas wrote:

Gwen,

(SDLX also has an XML filter..., see www.sdlx.com for more details)

Thank you, this sdlxtract program seems very useful. Does this only exist for Mac? Any solution if you only have a PC?

Thanks again!
Gwen

ENGSOL
ENGSOL
German to English
+ ...
SDLXtract for QuarkXPress -- PC version not planned Apr 13, 2005

Gwen,

Thank you, this sdlxtract program seems very useful. Does this only exist for Mac?

At present, SDLX only offers SDLXtract for extracting Mac-based QuarkXpress files -- which can then be edited in SDLX (or Trados) on PC.

According to the Helpnotes (see link to PDF in my other Forum post), SDL is not currently planning a Windows version.

Any solution if you only have a PC?

None that I know of, I'm afraid.

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
Story Collector for QuarkXPress Apr 14, 2005

Hi Gwen,

You could also use the Trados Story Collector for QuarkXPress.
This is a plug-in for the Windows versions of Quark.

Olaf

Gwendolyn Hayden
Gwendolyn Hayden
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
align xtg files: characters not recognized Apr 17, 2005

First of all, thank you for your previous answers.

Now I've tried to align xtg files created on Mac, and all accentuated characters in French were replaced by a symbol.

I then decided to import the TM I created in Trados after using WinAlign to align the files, and the accentuated characters were OK, but when I pretranslated the files, half of the Quark tags appeared in the target segments, next to the Deja Vu number codes, eg: {1}t-1>.

Also, non breaking
... See more
First of all, thank you for your previous answers.

Now I've tried to align xtg files created on Mac, and all accentuated characters in French were replaced by a symbol.

I then decided to import the TM I created in Trados after using WinAlign to align the files, and the accentuated characters were OK, but when I pretranslated the files, half of the Quark tags appeared in the target segments, next to the Deja Vu number codes, eg: {1}t-1>.

Also, non breaking spaces were replaced by a Deja Vu code and I had to replace them all in order to export my translation (because the number of codes was then higher in the target segments (Fre) than in Eng).

Did I do something wrong?

Thanks again!!
Gwen
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Convertint QuarkXPress to XML

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »