Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 30, 2005

I have installed Dragon Preferred 8 (Windows XP), but have spent a useless hour trying to get the mike to work.

When I do the volume tets I am told my volume is too low.

I can hear - radio, for example - through the headset, not at the volume of the speakers, but adequate.

I don't know what the problem is. I think I have all my settings at max.

First I have the 6 colors for the different jacks in my computer, plus an input and output jack from
... See more
I have installed Dragon Preferred 8 (Windows XP), but have spent a useless hour trying to get the mike to work.

When I do the volume tets I am told my volume is too low.

I can hear - radio, for example - through the headset, not at the volume of the speakers, but adequate.

I don't know what the problem is. I think I have all my settings at max.

First I have the 6 colors for the different jacks in my computer, plus an input and output jack from the headset coloured pink and brown, but the pink plugs into the green jack in the computer (what's the point of the colours???), and that way I hear, but I don't know where to put the brown, as according to the panel guide, it's wrong in all the other 5 jacks.

So I tried the control panel, but there are so many options (microphone, CD, pinkline in, greenline in...) that I don't know which is right, although microphone seems to be the logical choice.

Can anyone help me sort this out? It might be months before I will have the luxury of spending a useless hour trying to install a mike, never mind learning the software:-(
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Well Mar 30, 2005

Input->Input

Output->output

Or

Line-out (Output) to speaker

Mic -> to Mic (normally with a Mic simbol and red)

On the Audio panel, be sure that the mic track is not muted (it must be selected). Normally if line-in is ON then the mic is muted.

Rgds

[Edited at 2005-03-30 21:53]

Jason Willis-Lee
Jason Willis-Lee  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
high spec mike Apr 28, 2005

hi Alish,

it sounds to me as if you are using the mike you got with the Dragon. I recommend you purchase a high spec plantronics mike which has a USB connection. Noise reduction and more confort are the most obvious advantages I have noted compared to the standard one dished out with the program. You can buy this for around €50.

Good luck,
Jason.

Toledo wrote:

Input->Input

Output->output

Or

Line-out (Output) to speaker

Mic -> to Mic (normally with a Mic simbol and red)

On the Audio panel, be sure that the mic track is not muted (it must be selected). Normally if line-in is ON then the mic is muted.

Rgds

[Edited at 2005-03-30 21:53]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting microphone to work (for Dragon)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »