Translation quality of web-based CAT tools
Thread poster: yunyi
yunyi
yunyi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:25
English to Chinese
Aug 4, 2016

Hi, I am new to CAT Tools. Can anyone tell me if there's quality differences between web-based CAT tools and the ones you installed in local drive? My lap-top space is very limited so I was happy to find there are some web-based tools that I can use, such as SmartCat or wordfast anywhere, but not sure the quality is the same. By far, I found wordfast anywhere seems better than SmartCat.
Thanks for any input!

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Translation quality is up to the translator Aug 4, 2016

While there may be differences in working speed between online vs offline CAT tools, the quality is up to you (the translator). It depends what your process is for ensuring quality.

yunyi
yunyi  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Aug 4, 2016

John Fossey wrote:

While there may be differences in working speed between online vs offline CAT tools, the quality is up to you (the translator). It depends what your process is for ensuring quality.

Thank you very much! Just watched some video about cat tools, got better idea how it works.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:25
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I agree with John Aug 4, 2016

John Fossey wrote:
While there may be differences in working speed between online vs offline CAT tools, the quality is up to you (the translator).

I agree with John here. And if you've never used CAT tools before, then any reduction in your translation quality would have been similar whether you're using online or offline CAT tools. Also, any translator who has become used to working with one CAT tool may well find it difficult to maintain the same level of quality when suddenly switching to another CAT tool, regardless of whether the other tool is online or offline.

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 23:25
German to English
+ ...
Good free online CAT tool Aug 5, 2016

yunyi wrote:

Hi, I am new to CAT Tools. Can anyone tell me if there's quality differences between web-based CAT tools and the ones you installed in local drive? My lap-top space is very limited so I was happy to find there are some web-based tools that I can use, such as SmartCat or wordfast anywhere, but not sure the quality is the same. By far, I found wordfast anywhere seems better than SmartCat.
Thanks for any input!

is MateCat. It has a solid term basis and good TMs, moreover, it's user friendly and easy to use, and their client support is professional and friendly. Take a look: www.matecat.com

[Edited at 2016-08-05 04:03 GMT]

cranium
cranium
French to English
+ ...
WF Anywhere, WF Pro Aug 5, 2016

As a loyal WF Pro client, I started to use WF Anywhere last year for a temp contract that took me away from my office. It is more basic, and I couldn't find some of the more advanced features I use in WF Pro. However the crucial point for me was that WF Anywhere is substantially slower, so much so that I eventually got permission to use my personal laptop, with WF Pro on it, at work. In WF Pro, closing a segment and opening the next one is almost instantaneous. In WF Anywhere, there was a notice... See more
As a loyal WF Pro client, I started to use WF Anywhere last year for a temp contract that took me away from my office. It is more basic, and I couldn't find some of the more advanced features I use in WF Pro. However the crucial point for me was that WF Anywhere is substantially slower, so much so that I eventually got permission to use my personal laptop, with WF Pro on it, at work. In WF Pro, closing a segment and opening the next one is almost instantaneous. In WF Anywhere, there was a noticeable lag between closing and opening segments, close to a full second. That adds up.

I would only use WF Anywhere now for an emergency situation, like if my computer crashed. There is also the usual ethical debate that surrounds all cloud-based applications, regarding the confidentiality of data uploaded.
Collapse

yunyi
yunyi  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
MateCat Aug 5, 2016

Maija Cirule wrote:

is MateCat. It has a solid term basis and good TMs, moreover, it's user friendly and easy to use, and their client support is professional and friendly. Take a look: www.matecat.com

Great info. Thanks! However after I upload file and click translate it asked me for money, as if I am client...

yunyi
yunyi  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Aug 5, 2016

Thanks for all of you! Very helpful!

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 23:25
German to English
+ ...
you have clicked the wrong option. Aug 5, 2016

yunyi wrote:

Maija Cirule wrote:

Great info. Thanks! However after I upload file and click translate it asked me for money, as if I am client...

After you click "Translate", it offers you 2 possibilities: "order" - for the clients who want their text be translated by agency Translated that owns the CAT tool and "Open" - its for you and free of charge.
I love this tool very much and sometimes use it even though I have MemoQ, Studio, Fluency and Across installed. The issue is confidentiality - medical and legal texts may not be translated using MateCat as its machine translation program MyMemory is available to everybody. By the way, MyMemory is useful per se when a sentence or term is needed as it gives many examples of various meanings and contexts. www.mymemory.translated.net

Good luck.

[Edited at 2016-08-05 18:32 GMT]

yunyi
yunyi  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 5, 2016

Maija Cirule wrote:

After you click "Translate", it offers you 2 possibilities: "order" - for the clients who want their text be translated by agency Translated that owns the CAT tool and "Open" - its for you and free of charge.
I love this tool very much and sometimes use it even though I have MemoQ, Studio, Fluency and Across installed. The issue is confidentiality - medical and legal texts may not be translated using MateCat as its machine translation program MyMemory is available to everybody. By the way, MyMemory is useful per se when a sentence or term is needed as it gives many examples of various meanings and contexts. www.mymemory.translated.net

Good luck.

[Edited at 2016-08-05 18:32 GMT]

I got it. Thanks Maija Cirule for sharing very helpful information!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation quality of web-based CAT tools

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »