Is it any CAT tool where it's possible to delete a row directly in the editor view?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 11:33
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Aug 4, 2016

I have a big job of over 100,000 words in one single XML file, and in the left source column in my CAT tool (SDL Trados Studio 2014), there are 68,000 new words and 34,000 repetitions where there are many pairs of this type:

"source"
"translation"

(Translation should normally be in the right column when you translate.)

To be able to populate the TM and to get it correctly displayed in the cleaned XML file (which I can check by opening it in Excel), is
... See more
I have a big job of over 100,000 words in one single XML file, and in the left source column in my CAT tool (SDL Trados Studio 2014), there are 68,000 new words and 34,000 repetitions where there are many pairs of this type:

"source"
"translation"

(Translation should normally be in the right column when you translate.)

To be able to populate the TM and to get it correctly displayed in the cleaned XML file (which I can check by opening it in Excel), is there any CAT tool in which I can delete the "translation" directly in the editor view? If so, I could then enter my translation of "source" in the normal right column, commit it to the TM, and then delete the "translation" row in the editor view.
Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 11:33
Perhaps it's possible Aug 4, 2016

In a normal CafeTran XLIFF project you cannot delete rows (segments).

However, you can edit a TMX file just like a project.

I'm not sure if it's possible at all, given your specific file, but you could try this:

• Open the XML file as a project.
  • Export it to the project TM.
  • Open the project TM as a project.
  • Filter on the source segments that you want to delete.
  • Choose Task > Delete filtered segments.... See more
In a normal CafeTran XLIFF project you cannot delete rows (segments).

However, you can edit a TMX file just like a project.

I'm not sure if it's possible at all, given your specific file, but you could try this:

• Open the XML file as a project.
  • Export it to the project TM.
  • Open the project TM as a project.
  • Filter on the source segments that you want to delete.
  • Choose Task > Delete filtered segments.

Like I said, I'm not sure if it works.
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:33
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wrong segmentation rules? Use XML Parser Aug 4, 2016

Perhaps you can create segmentation rules in order to import the xml file excluding the source segments. But I ignore how to do that.

NOTE. I've done some research and I'm updating my post, as follows.

When importing the XML file you can create a parsing rule stating that certain segments are not translatable (those with the source language, in my example the language EN-GB) .

I found a similar question to
... See more
Perhaps you can create segmentation rules in order to import the xml file excluding the source segments. But I ignore how to do that.

NOTE. I've done some research and I'm updating my post, as follows.

When importing the XML file you can create a parsing rule stating that certain segments are not translatable (those with the source language, in my example the language EN-GB) .

I found a similar question to yours, at http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/217948-parser_rules_for_bilingual_xml_in_sdl_studio_2011.html
But no solution was offered.

Example given:

The control panels sxxx.

The control panels sxxx.

Also, check XML parser rules, directly from SDL
http://producthelp.sdl.com/sdl_trados_studio_2014/client_en/FileTypes/About-XML-Parser-Rules--with-Examples.html

[Edited at 2016-08-05 03:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-08-05 03:02 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it any CAT tool where it's possible to delete a row directly in the editor view?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »