Idiom Desktop Workbench vs Online workbench editor (WS)
Thread poster: KLarg
KLarg
KLarg
Argentina
Member (1970)
Jul 19, 2016

Hello People,

I'm here since I work in the technical area of localization, but I'm not a translator. That's why I don't have a lot of experience about what would be differences between below CAT tools:

Online workbench vs Desktop Workbench.

Did you have some experiences, issues or some information to share with me about the advantages and disadvantages of each one to take into account.

Your information would be useful for me.

... See more
Hello People,

I'm here since I work in the technical area of localization, but I'm not a translator. That's why I don't have a lot of experience about what would be differences between below CAT tools:

Online workbench vs Desktop Workbench.

Did you have some experiences, issues or some information to share with me about the advantages and disadvantages of each one to take into account.

Your information would be useful for me.

Thanks so much for your help in advance!

Regards,
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:58
English to Turkish
+ ...
no pros but cons Jul 19, 2016

AFAIK the desktop version is no more supported but most CAT tools can be used to translate the packages created by WS. I receive several WS projects each day, and translate them with Deja Vu X.

The online version is a disaster, concordance searches are useless, adding and viewing comments are not translator-friendly. The online version is acceptable only for small projects, maximum 20 segments. If the PM does not allow creation and download of packages then I copy all the segments,
... See more
AFAIK the desktop version is no more supported but most CAT tools can be used to translate the packages created by WS. I receive several WS projects each day, and translate them with Deja Vu X.

The online version is a disaster, concordance searches are useless, adding and viewing comments are not translator-friendly. The online version is acceptable only for small projects, maximum 20 segments. If the PM does not allow creation and download of packages then I copy all the segments, translate in Deja Vu X and then paste back to WS.

IMO, DejaVu TeamServer is a good and affordable alternative.

http://www.atril.com/node/343
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Idiom Desktop Workbench vs Online workbench editor (WS)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »