What are the criteria for the moderators?
Thread poster: Kemal Mustajbegovic
Kemal Mustajbegovic
Kemal Mustajbegovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:07
English to Croatian
+ ...
May 27, 2002

I think this question is addressed to Henry. Yes, what are the criteria for selection of the moderators?

Thanks!

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 00:07
SITE FOUNDER
Nothing is set in stone May 27, 2002

When people express an interest in serving as moderators, I review their professional experience, interests, and past site contributions.

I am generally looking for people who are native speakers of at least the target side of the language subcommunities they will moderate. Several years of experience in the industry is desirable, and in addition, many moderators have very notable professional accomplishments, like phd\'s, or impressive interpreting clients. This is not to s
... See more
When people express an interest in serving as moderators, I review their professional experience, interests, and past site contributions.

I am generally looking for people who are native speakers of at least the target side of the language subcommunities they will moderate. Several years of experience in the industry is desirable, and in addition, many moderators have very notable professional accomplishments, like phd\'s, or impressive interpreting clients. This is not to say that they are all great translators (though I believe many are); what I am really looking for in potential moderators is that they have pertinent interests and the ability to accomplish the things they find important, even if it takes years.

Perhaps equally important in a site moderator is an understanding of internet communities, and a sense for dealing with large online groups in a professional and diplomatic fashion. You have to be able to take a stand on some things, let other things go, and always have a broad (there are lots of different people we serve) perspective. Creativity is also nice, because it is on the moderator list that we plan out new site functions.

Most important, though, is that a moderator have the greater interests of the community at heart. All moderators are volunteers, and though the exposure gained may be nice, the job is mostly thankless. The primary benefit of being a moderator is having a hand in the future of this site, and the profession.

Henry
Collapse

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
the real deal May 27, 2002

May I also add to Henry\'s neutral assessment. Moderators need to have:

1) superhuman patience to deal with people with raging-bull tempers, on-line terrorists, mulish know-it-alls preaching in imperious tones, annoying smart-asses and even more annoying folks with the on-line personality of a hick let loose in the city and zero sense of humor

2) the equanimity of a monk to juggle stress from work and the unneeded (and largely preventable but nonetheless
... See more

1) superhuman patience to deal with people with raging-bull tempers, on-line terrorists, mulish know-it-alls preaching in imperious tones, annoying smart-asses and even more annoying folks with the on-line personality of a hick let loose in the city and zero sense of humor

2) the equanimity of a monk to juggle stress from work and the unneeded (and largely preventable but nonetheless frequently occurring) stress from a volunteer job

3) the persistence of a marathon runner despite being booed by hecklers who ballyhoo their alleged skills but only end up seeming like jack-asses to everyone except themselves

4) and lastly, impartiality to become arbiter in frequent squabbles that really shouldn\'t happen but still do because of all the types of colorful people listed above.

So, you gotta be Captain America, Judge Judy and the Dalai Lama all at the same time.

All this said, the rewards are the virtual friendships forged and a sense of community created.

To become one, lobby your community and twist Henry\'s arm.

Collapse

RHELLER
RHELLER
United States
Local time: 22:07
French to English
+ ...
raging bulls & annoying smart-asses May 27, 2002

\"Moderators need to have:

1) superhuman patience to deal with people with raging-bull tempers, on-line terrorists, mulish know-it-alls preaching in imperious tones, annoying smart-asses and even more annoying folks with the on-line personality of a hick let loose in the city and zero sense of humor.\"

Hey Marcus, (LOL) why don\'t you really tell us what you think of us?
[addsig]

Kemal Mustajbegovic
Kemal Mustajbegovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:07
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 28, 2002

Thank you both for detailed explanation. And, thanks for the advice Marcus, but I\'m affraid I\'m not good at arm-twisting kind of sport.

Regards!

Kemal

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 00:07
SITE FOUNDER
diplomacy May 28, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-05-27 23:12, RHELLER wrote:

1) superhuman patience to deal with people with raging-bull tempers, on-line terrorists, mulish know-it-alls preaching in imperious tones, annoying smart-asses and even more annoying folks with the on-line personality of a hick let loose in the city and zero sense of humor.\"

Hey Marcus, (LOL) why don\'t you really tell us what yo... See more
Quote:

OK, so maybe not all the moderators are diplomatic.

Collapse

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
Miss Rita May 28, 2002

Quote:

Hey Marcus, (LOL) why don\'t you really tell us what yo... See more
Quote:

But I surely didn\'t mean you but just a loud few!

Collapse

Cynthia Brals-Rud
Cynthia Brals-Rud  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Pure genius May 28, 2002

Marcus, right on.

Cynthia

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
LOL May 28, 2002

Absolutely great Marcus, you made my day
[addsig]

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
Local time: 05:07
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Takes one to know one, I guess May 28, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-05-27 20:37, marcushm wrote:

2) ... See more
Quote:

2) the equanimity of a monk to juggle stress from work and the unneeded (and largely preventable but nonetheless frequently occurring) stress from a volunteer job

3) the persistence of a marathon runner despite being booed by hecklers who ballyhoo their alleged skills but only end up seeming like jack-asses to everyone except themselves

4) and lastly, impartiality to become arbiter in frequent squabbles that really shouldn\'t happen but still do because of all the types of colorful people listed above.

The usual offensive remarks we have become accustomed to. That\'s a moderator\'s attitude to fellow-professionals; except I see precious little in the way of professional attributes in this insulting diatribe.

If you consider the stress from your volunteer job to be unneeded and so terrible (bring on the violins!), why don\'t you give it up? You took on the stress as part of your appointment. If you can\'t hack it, get out of the kitchen.

And as for impartiality {ROFL} - when you quash a question and give as a reason the fact that you agree with one of the parties to the row (the Data question, in case you\'ve forgotten or would prefer not to remember), I suggest this term is somewhat inappropriate!

Oops, nearly forgot: clearly, you believe that your job description also includes posting private emails on-site; and calling other members \'freaks\' in public.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-29 12:23 ]Collapse

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:07
Italian to English
+ ...
You nailed how I *FEEL* some days. May 28, 2002

R.

==

Quote:

the on-line personality of a hick let loose in the city

Carla Trapani
Carla Trapani
English to Italian
+ ...
master of diplomacy Jun 14, 2002

Perhaps equally important in a site moderator is an understanding of internet communities, and a sense for dealing with large online groups in a professional and diplomatic fashion. Henry

[/quote]

On many occasions I appreciated your elegant and diplomatic style... You\'re a master of that

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are the criteria for the moderators?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »