The word count difference on memoQ & Trados
Thread poster: Shohei Yamaguchi
Shohei Yamaguchi
Shohei Yamaguchi  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 21:08
English to Japanese
Apr 2, 2016

Hi there, I am Shohei. a MA student in the UK.

Currently, I am working on the project to compare two CAT tools memoQ and Trados.
During the comparison project, I found that the word count imported into memoQ and Trados is slightly different, even though the ST I imported is the same word file.

Do you have any hint for this difference?

Thank you very much for your help.

Shohei

dhsanjeev
dhsanjeev  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 17:38
English to Hindi
+ ...
Reply to query Apr 2, 2016

Hello Shohei
Its all due to this fact that both the softwares have there own way of counting the words in a single file. So this difference appears. If you will check the MemoQ in depth you will find that it provides option to count words in Trados manner also, even it provides option to save file in Trados format too.
Hope it will help you understand the working of different CAT tools.
Regards

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:08
English to Turkish
+ ...
start here Apr 2, 2016

http://www.translationtribulations.com/2013/10/games-agencies-play-part-2-word-counts.html

Emin Arı
Emin Arı  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:08
English to Turkish
+ ...
it is number issue Apr 3, 2016

Trados and memoQ weight numbers in different ways. Trados extracts numbers from total count but memoQ does not.

In a normal text, there is almost no difference but if you have a manual, full of numbers, the difference is considerable amount.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The word count difference on memoQ & Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »