Rody Correa Avila
Rody Correa Avila  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:13
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 25, 2016

Does anybody know how to do the Word Count including Fuzzy Matches and repetitions, etc. in order to apply discounts to a project using Trados. I am starting possibly a project with a Company and the idea is build the TM for them (Manuals and so on) and as soon as the TM is started on a second assignment start applying discounts.

I am not certain that the Company will do this for me, can somebody help me figure this out? Thanks so much dear colleagues.

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:13
English to German
+ ...
Can't recommend discounts based on fuzzy matches and repetitions Mar 25, 2016

Rody Correa Avila wrote:

Does anybody know how to do the Word Count including Fuzzy Matches and repetitions, etc. in order to apply discounts to a project using Trados. I am starting possibly a project with a Company and the idea is build the TM for them (Manuals and so on) and as soon as the TM is started on a second assignment start applying discounts.

I am not certain that the Company will do this for me, can somebody help me figure this out? Thanks so much dear colleagues.

Hi Rody,

Please don't take what I have to say the wrong way. I simply want to provide some information. You don't know how to do the word count incl. fuzzy, repetitions etc. in Trados, but you are already set to start applying discounts, based on a word count analysis of this CAT tool, as soon as the first TM has been created, by you?! You would, so it seems, also accept the word count analysis if the translation agency provides it to you, right? It seems you are sure you can trust the agency to do this?! Well, don't!

If you are a Trados user, you can download the manual for your version and look up how to do the analysis. The basic analysis is pretty simple; after you create a project, one of the available batch tasks is "analyze files."
You can also Google your question or use the search function above to find more previous entries on the topic here in the forums. Search for "how to do fuzzy word count" or similar key phrases.

However, here are a few pointers:

a) Never trust a word count that was provided to you. You need to do it yourself or at least check the count provided by an agency. You also need to know what fuzzy matches, repetitions etc. really mean. Analyses also depend on "match settings," a setting where you define what constitutes a certain match of a segment - the automatic (verification) setting in Trados is 70% within a segment, but this setting can be changed and the results can be very different.

b) The analysis of segments for matches - let's say it is based on your first TM - for the second project, won't mean that you get matches that are always suitable or easily applied for your 2nd project unless you do have 100% repetitions - as in a list, not a complex text.

In short, I could go on about this, but my main point is that by not knowing the meaning behind word matches as calculated by a CAT tool, you are not ready to start giving discounts based on such word counts, discounts based "just" on those word counts, without any other considerations. And I can't recommend you should ever do that anyway.

The next step might be that the agency finds additional internal fuzzies in their analysis of your basic TM for your second project, asking you to apply discounts for those as well. It's likely that you provide discounts, but the end client will pay for all words in full or at least much more than you would imagine.

I am sure your next question could be which kind of discounts you should apply to certain matches. Don't follow arbitrary suggestions. And don't let your remuneration be dictated by a CAT tool or an unscrupulous agency.

There is a very recent thread which talks about "baffling" differences of fuzzy matches. Here's a link to my entry and from there you can review the whole thread.

http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/283468-baffling_difference_between_memoq_and_sdl_trados_studio_word_counts.html#2534584

B

[Edited at 2016-03-25 03:53 GMT]

Rody Correa Avila
Rody Correa Avila  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:13
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fuzzy matches and repetition Word Count and discounts--what is right and fair? Mar 25, 2016

Thanks so much Bernard. I am sure glad I asked and thankfully ahead of time of the project that I might start soon. So you do not give discounts on fuzzy matches, only on repetitions and 100% matches? Is that it?

I googled how to do the count and I think I learned a way to do it with Workbench. Trados 2007. I tried with a .docx and a .ttx and it gives me a log file.

I have been accepting a word count from an agency without question, so next time I will do it myself and
... See more
Thanks so much Bernard. I am sure glad I asked and thankfully ahead of time of the project that I might start soon. So you do not give discounts on fuzzy matches, only on repetitions and 100% matches? Is that it?

I googled how to do the count and I think I learned a way to do it with Workbench. Trados 2007. I tried with a .docx and a .ttx and it gives me a log file.

I have been accepting a word count from an agency without question, so next time I will do it myself and check the things you mentioned here and on the other post. Thanks so much.

What would you say the threshold should be for fuzzy matches, from your experience?
Thanks again for taking the time to write and give me a greater vision than just the "how to". Again, I am glad I asked. I will check my next assignment myself.

Does it make difference if I have my own TM opened when I do the analysis? Should it be done without it open? In other words, just to check the file itself with itself, right?
Collapse

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:13
English to German
+ ...
Let's hear what others have to say Mar 25, 2016

Rody Correa Avila wrote:

I have been accepting a word count from an agency without question, so next time I will do it myself and check the things you mentioned here and on the other post. Thanks so much.

What would you say the threshold should be for fuzzy matches, from your experience?
Thanks again for taking the time to write and give me a greater vision than just the "how to". Again, I am glad I asked. I will check my next assignment myself.

Does it make difference if I have my own TM opened when I do the analysis? Should it be done without it open? In other words, just to check the file itself with itself, right?

Hope to see some other opinions on here. It's been ominously quiet. But that's probably because of the category this thread is in. But in my opinion, it transcends the category Technical forums » CAT Tools Technical Help » and also relates (should relate) to business matters or money issues.

[Edited at 2016-03-25 14:41 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word Count to apply fuzzy match and repetition discounts

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »