What is a clean file?
Thread poster: Jenny Nilsson
Jenny Nilsson
Jenny Nilsson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 13:21
English to Swedish
Nov 5, 2015

I'm trying to get my head around cat tools and it's not proving easy, because everything I read is written for someone who has cat basics down. I can't find what a clean file is, but by the name I can guess that it is a text file with target text. If this is the case, I should be able to find something called "clean file" in a cat tool (currently looking at cafetran) but I simply can't find how to create a file that is "clean".

Thanks for your patience with this newbie question.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:21
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Save as Target or Export Nov 5, 2015

Jenny Nilsson wrote:
I should be able to find something called "clean file" in a cat tool (currently looking at cafetran) but I simply can't find how to create a file that is "clean".

Funny you should mention that... I haven't seen a command called "clean up" since Translator's Workbench in the old Trados....

It will be under Save file as > Target (Trados) or Export (MemoQ). I can't remember it in WFP offhand and am not familiar with CafeTran.

[Edited at 2015-11-05 15:05 GMT]

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:21
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Which CAT tool are you using? Nov 5, 2015

Jenny Nilsson wrote:

I'm trying to get my head around cat tools and it's not proving easy, because everything I read is written for someone who has cat basics down. I can't find what a clean file is, but by the name I can guess that it is a text file with target text. If this is the case, I should be able to find something called "clean file" in a cat tool (currently looking at cafetran) but I simply can't find how to create a file that is "clean".

Thanks for your patience with this newbie question.

See, (This is regarding SDL Studio)

when I proofread I track change file and in the end I have to send both files - clean and unclean. Clean with no track changes and unclean containing all track changes made. If I translate an SDLXLIFF File Format sent by client, for instance, I can generate target translation which will create a new SDLXLIFF (ttx) file in target; if client has sent both SDLXLIFF and, for example, a word doc here I can generate target and also Save target as and the word doc will be saved in target language.

I hope this is what you asked for.

Good luck.

[Edited at 2015-11-05 15:11 GMT]

Jenny Nilsson
Jenny Nilsson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Untracked doc? Nov 5, 2015

So a clean file is simply not a file with the target text in the format the client requests?

In CafeTran, I have a whole bunch of functions involving export, including Export with notes and Export bilingual. I also have Convert > Text.

Thanks for trying to explain, but I'm lacking the basics so I'm sorry that I couldn't really understand.

Nicole Coesel
Nicole Coesel  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jenny, Nov 5, 2015

As far as I understand, when the client wants a clean file (as well), you just export the Trados file into .doc or whatever the client requests (you may have to ask the output format).
Then when you send the Trados file (unclean) and the exported file (clean), you're all set.

Rodrigo Castillo H.
Rodrigo Castillo H.
Chile
Local time: 07:21
English to Spanish
Explanation Nov 5, 2015

This is a term used to refer to files which have had the special tags used by CAT tools removed. Some old CAT software, such as Trados Workbench and Wordfast for Word, inserted special tags in the text to mark the translation units. The file was still a regular Word file (.doc extensión), but with these special tags, which you could see by showing special characters in Word. After you were done with translating the document, you had to process this "unclean" file (the .doc file with tags) to re... See more
This is a term used to refer to files which have had the special tags used by CAT tools removed. Some old CAT software, such as Trados Workbench and Wordfast for Word, inserted special tags in the text to mark the translation units. The file was still a regular Word file (.doc extensión), but with these special tags, which you could see by showing special characters in Word. After you were done with translating the document, you had to process this "unclean" file (the .doc file with tags) to remove the tags inserted during the translation process. The result was a "clean" file without those tags.
Modern CAT tools use intermediate format files instead of this old approach of using custom tags within the same file.
I hope this helps.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What a clean file is for you Nov 5, 2015

Jenny Nilsson wrote:
I can't find what a clean file is, but by the name I can guess that it is a text file with target text.

The "clean" file is the file in its final format, i.e. the translation.

It does not mean a plain text file, though. It means the translated file, in the same format as the original file.

A "clean" file is an odd term with an interesting history. Older CAT tools added some hidden codes to the source text file, while turning it into a target text file, and that is why a file that contains both source and target text is still often called an "uncleaned" file. To "clean" the file meant to remove the source text and all of the hidden codes that were added by the CAT tool. These days, people still use the word "clean" file for the final file, even though the process doesn't involve any "cleaning" anymore.

If this is the case, I should be able to find something called "clean file" in a cat tool (currently looking at cafetran).

The command would be something like "save as target" or "create target file" or similar. Only in a few CAT tools that use the old method would you still find the command "to clean" the file.

[Edited at 2015-11-05 22:37 GMT]

Yasmim Silva

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is a clean file?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »