Does Anyone Have Experience with Translation Software?
Thread poster: ashfawn
ashfawn
ashfawn
United States
Sep 18, 2015

I am a new intern for a company with headquarters based in Japan, and there is a lot of bilingual communication that goes back and forth between us and HQ. I am getting paid to translate important documents from one language to the other (i.e. presentations, excel spreadsheets, etc.). However, so much communication comes in that I can't possibly translate every email that comes in in an efficient manner.

My bosses have asked me to look into possible software that they can plug the
... See more
I am a new intern for a company with headquarters based in Japan, and there is a lot of bilingual communication that goes back and forth between us and HQ. I am getting paid to translate important documents from one language to the other (i.e. presentations, excel spreadsheets, etc.). However, so much communication comes in that I can't possibly translate every email that comes in in an efficient manner.

My bosses have asked me to look into possible software that they can plug their email text into to get a general idea of whether an email is important enough to be officially translated and distributed(because they do not want to put potentially sensitive material into Google translate). I advised them that there is really no way to trust a translation that wasn't done by a person, because there are always going to be errors (and usually not so small ones), but they asked me to research anyway.

I've done some preliminary research, and found many programs, but there just aren't any trustworthy-sounding reviews available. All the reviews seem like they were paid to be given, and don't mention anything about quality-- only how many languages XXX program is capable of.

So I was hoping that someone here might have some experience with a translation software, or at the very least might be able to aim me in a direction.

I'm new to the translation/interpretation world, so please forgive me if this question is out of line or in the wrong location.
Thank you!
Collapse

Jenae Spry
Jenae Spry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:16
French to English
What's your confidentiality concern exactly? Sep 19, 2015

Google is the absolute front runner of machine translation and while there can be confidentiality issues, a lot of people's concerns, are, in my opinion unfounded. The same people who won't use Google translate because of confidentiality are sending the same texts via Gmail giving Google access to the same information. Or they are using other services that they are so accustomed to using, they don't think about confidentiality any more. If it's not a question of violating an NDA but just a conce... See more
Google is the absolute front runner of machine translation and while there can be confidentiality issues, a lot of people's concerns, are, in my opinion unfounded. The same people who won't use Google translate because of confidentiality are sending the same texts via Gmail giving Google access to the same information. Or they are using other services that they are so accustomed to using, they don't think about confidentiality any more. If it's not a question of violating an NDA but just a concern of information entering the public domain, you may want to just review Google's policies.

You can read Google's statements on data confidentiality pertaining to Google translate here: https://cloud.google.com/translate/v2/faq?hl=en#confidentiality

The best work flow for your situation is to use a machine translation tool to determine what to translate and then have only the import information translated.

I realized after I posted this that I never commented about the difference between CAT and machine translation tools. CAT tools help a translator to recycle their own translations. This will help you go faster if the documents you're translating are similar but these tools are not machine translation tools. Machine translation tools, like Google, automatically generate a translation. If there is a lot of similar work then a CAT tool might also be a good purchase.

[Edited at 2015-09-19 20:03 GMT]
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 13:16
English to Thai
+ ...
Yes, Google Translate Sep 20, 2015

Jenae Spry wrote:

Google is the absolute front runner of machine translation and while there can be confidentiality issues, a lot of people's concerns, are, in my opinion unfounded. The same people who won't use Google translate because of confidentiality are sending the same texts via Gmail giving Google access to the same information. Or they are using other services that they are so accustomed to using, they don't think about confidentiality any more. If it's not a question of violating an NDA but just a concern of information entering the public domain, you may want to just review Google's policies.

Yes, I support selection of Google Translate.
Full knowledge of software is essential to be a good translator. Right now many MTs are available and the free MT may collect your specific data for their commercial purpose, they never have archives for data mining purpose.

Soonthon L.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does Anyone Have Experience with Translation Software?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »