Michael Marcoux
Michael Marcoux  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:38
Russian to English
+ ...
Sep 4, 2015

Hey all,

Question about switching to voice recognition software. My hands are getting tired from hours of endless typing, and dictation software seems to have gotten much better since the olden days. That being said, I'm wondering - is there any CAT software that contains or can be integrated with dictation software (for windows?) Additionally, does anyone have a microphone recommendation? The built in one on my computer doesn't seem all that good - at least based on its use in comb
... See more
Hey all,

Question about switching to voice recognition software. My hands are getting tired from hours of endless typing, and dictation software seems to have gotten much better since the olden days. That being said, I'm wondering - is there any CAT software that contains or can be integrated with dictation software (for windows?) Additionally, does anyone have a microphone recommendation? The built in one on my computer doesn't seem all that good - at least based on its use in combination with google's free speech recognition software.

Using the free resources I have, I usually end up with one error per sentence, something that would negate the benefits dictation software could bring. Granted, they are free. Does paid software work significantly better? How many sentences can you type before errors start popping up?

Looking forward to your answers...and avoiding carpal tunnel syndrome!...
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 18:38
English to Thai
+ ...
Health problem Sep 4, 2015

Michael Marcoux wrote:

Using the free resources I have, I usually end up with one error per sentence, something that would negate the benefits dictation software could bring. Granted, they are free. Does paid software work significantly better? How many sentences can you type before errors start popping up?

Looking forward to your answers...and avoiding carpal tunnel syndrome!...

Yes. Carpal tunnel syndrome is also attacking me. A number of speech to text software are available and discussed widely on this Proz.com forum. Please do a sketchy search here.

Soonthon L.

Manuela Ribecai
Manuela Ribecai  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 12:38
English to French
+ ...
Dragon is usefull Sep 4, 2015

Hi Michael,

You can use Dragon Naturally Speaking with memoQ (I do) and it seems it's also possible with the other CAT tools.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:38
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
MemoQ seems to be the CAT tool of choice Sep 4, 2015

Michael Marcoux wrote:
That being said, I'm wondering - is there any CAT software that contains or can be integrated with dictation software (for windows?) Additionally, does anyone have a microphone recommendation?

MemoQ and Deja Vu X3 both work well with Dragon Naturally Speaking. SDL Studio 2014/15 is not well integrated. I speak as a Studio 2014 user. I have also trialled Deja Vu X3. I wrote briefly about my experiences here.

No microphone suggestions, sorry, but my old Plantronics headset seems to work okay with Dragon Naturally Speaking 12. I find DNS' recognition pretty good.

Oh, and get an ergonomic keyboard as well, one that doesn't force you to keep your wrists straight.

Regards
Dan

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:38
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Wordfast Sep 4, 2015

I use Wordfast Classic with Dragon 13 with great success. The investment has been absolutely worth it in terms of production and reduced physical stress.

I'm sorry I waited so long.

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 08:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
. Oct 29, 2015

Manuela Ribecai wrote:

Hi Michael,

You can use Dragon Naturally Speaking with memoQ (I do) and it seems it's also possible with the other CAT tools.

Hi Manuela,

I am also considering buying DNS and am a memoQ user. Which DNS version do you use? Home, Premium or Professional? My intention is to do away with the keyboard as much as possible and was wondering how customizable the commands are for the different versions (i.e. go to next segment, insert match, etc etc etc)

Thank you!

Andrea

[Edited at 2015-10-29 14:07 GMT]

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 06:38
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
A pertinent discussion is in process Oct 30, 2015

Please refer to: http://www.proz.com/forum/speech_recognition/293608-what_version_of_dragon_home_premium_professional.html

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 08:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
. Oct 30, 2015

Thanks, Jorge.

I did see that and have asked a question there as well. However, given that I use memoQ for 95% of my work, I thought it better to address that specific question to a fellow memoQ user: i.e., Manuela.

Best,

Andrea

logan2
logan2
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
Try to update! Oct 31, 2015

Hello,
You should try catia in place of cat and also you go for Pro-e , unigraphics it make you easy to work and more faster and accurately ...

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:38
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Translation,not design software Oct 31, 2015

logan2 wrote:

Hello,
You should try catia in place of cat and also you go for Pro-e , unigraphics it make you easy to work and more faster and accurately ...

Hi logan2,

This thread is about CAT software, not CAD software.

Compare:

CAT software: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer-assisted_translation
CAD software: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer-aided_design

Michael

PS: CATIA looks very interesting though!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT-Dictation software

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »