Chrystelle Song (X)
Chrystelle Song (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:15
English to French
+ ...
Aug 5, 2015

Hello Everyone.

I am a new freelancer here and I am forced to use the CAT tools which I find to be a huge pain.
so far I have installed and tried to use Memo1 and Wordfast. they seem to be efficient with Trados files.

The problem is that when I try to translate them, the translation results come come back with the same source language and not the target language, although I have specified. I don't know what to do and it is quite frustrating.
Please help.... See more
Hello Everyone.

I am a new freelancer here and I am forced to use the CAT tools which I find to be a huge pain.
so far I have installed and tried to use Memo1 and Wordfast. they seem to be efficient with Trados files.

The problem is that when I try to translate them, the translation results come come back with the same source language and not the target language, although I have specified. I don't know what to do and it is quite frustrating.
Please help.

Thanks
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
Please explain better Aug 5, 2015

I don't understand what exactly happens. What does "the translation results come come back with the same source language" mean in practical terms?

Is that true for both MemoQ (I suppose you mean MemoQ) and Wordfast? Are you talking about Wordfast Pro?

Chrystelle Song (X)
United States
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast anywhere and memoq Aug 5, 2015

both software translation results return with the source language, so no translation actually occurs. I am not sure but I think my problem has something to do the the TM...
that means, I am trying to translate from French to English. when I run the translation, the result comes back with french again. No English.

To be more specific, a client sent me a file of Fuzzies, a ttx file, asking me to run it and translate the first segment, then return it. she also sent a TM.tmx file.
... See more
both software translation results return with the source language, so no translation actually occurs. I am not sure but I think my problem has something to do the the TM...
that means, I am trying to translate from French to English. when I run the translation, the result comes back with french again. No English.

To be more specific, a client sent me a file of Fuzzies, a ttx file, asking me to run it and translate the first segment, then return it. she also sent a TM.tmx file. I tried the fuzzies file in OMEGAT and it didn't work. MemoQ and wordfast however are able to open the files, but I can not seem to get any translation result. not sure what the problem is.

[Edited at 2015-08-05 14:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-08-05 14:44 GMT]
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 14:15
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Return? Aug 5, 2015

I'm afraid I still don't understand what you are trying to say; when you say 'return', that doesn't make a lot of sense to me?

I'm wondering if you are perhaps misunderstanding what a CAT tool will do?

If you are starting a fresh document without an existing TM, every segment will be blank; your job is to translate the segments as they are presented to you, and each time you do so, the pair of source/target segments will be stored as a Translation Unit (TU) into the Tra
... See more
I'm afraid I still don't understand what you are trying to say; when you say 'return', that doesn't make a lot of sense to me?

If you are starting a fresh document without an existing TM, every segment will be blank; your job is to translate the segments as they are presented to you, and each time you do so, the pair of source/target segments will be stored as a Translation Unit (TU) into the Translation Memory (TM).

Should a segment arrive which is very similar to one you have translated previously, the TM may offer the existing TU for you to either accept as is, or adjust to suit the new segment.

That is ALL a CAT tool does!

So if you have a fresh document and a blank TM, each segment as it opens will 'return' a blank segment — UNLESS (as is certainly possible in Wordfast Classic) you have ti configured so as to automatically present you with the source text in any target segments where there is no relevant TU. Sometimes, it is less work to merely edit a source segment than it would be to type a whole new translation (typically, where there are many 'uintranslatables').

I'm wondering if this is what you are experiencing?

[Modifié le 2015-08-05 14:46 GMT]
Collapse

Chrystelle Song (X)
United States
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It Makes sense Aug 5, 2015

It does make a lot of sense now.
Thank you

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
Good explanation Aug 5, 2015

Salut, Tony, au passage ! Pas trop chaud en Haute-Vienne ?

Chrystelle,

Good thing you took the time for this write up, I didn't feel like it!!

Chrystelle: Both WfA and MemoQ have settings. That is where you can tell the application to populate the target segment with the source segment, among other things. Is that what happens? Does the target segment contain
... See more
Salut, Tony, au passage ! Pas trop chaud en Haute-Vienne ?

Chrystelle,

Good thing you took the time for this write up, I didn't feel like it!!

Chrystelle: Both WfA and MemoQ have settings. That is where you can tell the application to populate the target segment with the source segment, among other things. Is that what happens? Does the target segment contain the source text?

YouTube CATguru (https://www.youtube.com/user/CATguruEN) may have videos showing how to use WfA and/or MemoQ. Additionally, there are probably tutorials all over the web.

Since you are starting, I don't recomment MemoQ, which has a heavier learning curve than WfA.

If you work regularly on Word files, I recommend Wordfast Classic (fully-functional demo, with a 500-TU limit in the TM).

Even then, starting from scratch on a CAT tool is no child play. When I first started, using WfC, I was completely lost as to what I was supposed to do, what the software was supposed to do, and what was going on.

Again, some sort fo training course, or tutorial, is necessary.

Tony M wrote:

If you are starting a fresh document without an existing TM, every segment will be blank; your job is to translate the segments as they are presented to you, and each time you do so, the pair of source/target segments will be stored as a Translation Unit (TU) into the Translation Memory (TM).

Should a segment arrive which is very similar to one you have translated previously, the TM may offer the existing TU for you to either accept as is, or adjust to suit the new segment.

That is ALL a CAT tool does!

So if you have a fresh document and a blank TM, each segment as it opens will 'return' a blank segment — UNLESS (as is certainly possible in Wordfast Classic) you have ti configured so as to automatically present you with the source text in any target segments where there is no relevant TU. Sometimes, it is less work to merely edit a source segment than it would be to type a whole new translation (typically, where there are many 'uintranslatables').

I'm wondering if this is what you are experiencing?

[Modifié le 2015-08-05 14:46 GMT]
Collapse

Chrystelle Song (X)
United States
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wonderfull!! Aug 5, 2015

Thank you all for all the valuable insight. I can see the light now

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:15
German to Turkish
+ ...
?? According to your profile Aug 5, 2015

you seem to use quite a number of CAT tools?

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Quite baffling, yes! Aug 6, 2015

Elif Baykara wrote:

you seem to use quite a number of CAT tools?

She claims to own or at least to use every available CAT on the market and yet she finds them to be a *huge pain*

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Let's not diss the OP Aug 6, 2015

Christel Zipfel wrote:
Chrystelle claims to own or at least to use every available CAT on the market and yet she finds them to be a *huge pain*.

Firstly, she never claims to own them, and she never claims to use them. What the CAT tools section of one's profile means is up to one's own interpretation -- it can justifiably simply indicate what CAT tools one are willing to use, and not what CAT tools one owns or regularly uses.

Secondly, the fact that she finds them a huge pain is not at all suspicious. I'm sure most of us who /are forced to use multiple CAT tools find it to be a huge pain.

[Edited at 2015-08-06 11:29 GMT]

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
German to Turkish
+ ...
I agree to some degree but not with everything Aug 6, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

Firstly, she never claims to own them, and she never claims to use them. What the CAT tools section of one's profile means is up to one's own interpretation -- it can justifiably simply indicate what CAT tools one are willing to use, and not what CAT tools one owns or regularly uses.

I agree with the "huge pain" aspect; I wouldn't like to be forced to use them neither (but then I also have the option not to work with that specific client.)

I also agree that stating the names of softwares does not imply that someone actually owns them. BUT it means that the translator is using / able to use them (to my opinion of course).

Chrystelle S wrote:

so far I have installed and tried to use Memo1 and Wordfast.

As among others MemoQ, MemSource Cloud and Wordfast are stated in the software section, I found the above sentence a bit surprising, and that's all.

I wouldn't mind if the admins decide to remove my posts. Maybe this post doesn't belong here.

[Edited at 2015-08-06 12:43 GMT]

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:15
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
With you Aug 8, 2015

Elif Baykara wrote:

... it means that the translator is using / able to use them.

Cannot agree more. The same happens with KudoZ - stating as a Pro and asking the most basic things.
And I also don\'t care about removing my post, the responsible ones should rather look elswhere and weed out what doesn\'t belong here.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Even if it only meant that one is *willing* to use them Aug 8, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

Firstly, she never claims to own them, and she never claims to use them. What the CAT tools section of one\'s profile means is up to one\'s own interpretation -- it can justifiably simply indicate what CAT tools one are willing to use, and not what CAT tools one owns or regularly uses.

Secondly, the fact that she finds them a huge pain is not at all suspicious. I\'m sure most of us who /are forced to use multiple CAT tools find it to be a huge pain.

it\'s hardly thinkable that one claims to be willing to work with about 20 different CAT tools which maybe he/she has never seen before.

And I never wrote it\'s \"suspicious\" to find them a pain. But it\'s rather supicious under these cirumstances to be willing to work (or to own/use them or whatever) when it comes to such an unbelievable number.

Actually, it\'s in no way clear what the list of software mentioned in our profile does mean: do we own it, are able to use it, are currently using it nearly every day or would be willing just in case to buy/install it, learn it and to work with it?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Christel Aug 8, 2015

Christel Zipfel wrote:
Actually, it\'s in no way clear what the list of software mentioned in our profile does mean: do we own it, are able to use it, are currently using it nearly every day or would be willing just in case to buy/install it, learn it and to work with it?

Yes, I think ProZ.com should make that clearer.

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
French to English
+ ...
Translation usually does not \"occur\". You produce it. Aug 9, 2015

Chrystelle S wrote:

both software translation results return with the source language, so no translation actually occurs.

Just wondering what it is you expected.

Best,

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT TOOLS

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »