CAT tools accepting several input file or heavy input file ?
Thread poster: Jeremy Ferrero
Aug 4, 2015

Hello !

To your knowledge, is there a CAT tool can take several input files and/or supporting heavy files (several mega files) ?

Thank you !

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:58
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Clarification Aug 4, 2015

Hi Jeremy,

I’m not entirely sure I understand your question. Do you mean you’re looking for a CAT tool that can import (i.e., translate) very large files (.docx, etc)? Or are you looking for a CAT tool that can work with very large translation memories or glossaries/termbases?

Michael

[Edited at 2015-08-04 13:31 GMT]

Jeremy Ferrero
Jeremy Ferrero
France
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Aug 4, 2015

Hi,

thx you for your interest,

I looking for a tool that can import (i.e. align) many files in the same time OR a tool that can align a heavy file (because, in this case, i can concatenate the files into one single file).

Best regards.

Abdullah Hassaan
Abdullah Hassaan  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 08:58
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Transit can! Aug 4, 2015

Transit NXT (or the previous XV) are very powerful.
One of the strength points of Transit is the capability of opening and working in several files at the same time, as if they were only one file.

Currently, I'm working on a project with over 1000 files, and Transit opens them all at once. This means you can simply do all the required checks and features like Find and Replace in all file at once. You don't have to open each file of the 1000 files one after another and repeat
... See more
One of the strength points of Transit is the capability of opening and working in several files at the same time, as if they were only one file.

Currently, I'm working on a project with over 1000 files, and Transit opens them all at once. This means you can simply do all the required checks and features like Find and Replace in all file at once. You don't have to open each file of the 1000 files one after another and repeat the work.

Also transit support Regular Expressions for both segment display filters and for Find & Replace, which gives you infinite possibilities to do unbelievable things compared to oterh CATs.
Collapse

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Others can too Aug 4, 2015

AbdullahHassaan wrote:

Currently, I'm working on a project with over 1000 files, and Transit opens them all at once. This means you can simply do all the required checks and features like Find and Replace in all file at once. You don't have to open each file of the 1000 files one after another and repeat the work.

Also transit support Regular Expressions for both segment display filters and for Find & Replace, which gives you infinite possibilities to do unbelievable things compared to oterh CATs.

Many other CAT tools can do all that too. Transit used to be unique in this -- it no longer is.

Abdullah Hassaan
Abdullah Hassaan  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Thanks for your useful input Aug 4, 2015

2nl wrote:

AbdullahHassaan wrote:

Many other CAT tools can do all that too. Transit used to be unique in this -- it no longer is.

Thank you 2nl for your useful input!

Could you please let me know, what are those tools with the option of working in all the files as a virtual one and with Regular expressions for filters and for search?

Thank you

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:58
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
CafeTran and DVX3 Aug 4, 2015

AbdullahHassaan wrote:

2nl wrote:

AbdullahHassaan wrote:

Thank you 2nl for your useful input!

Could you please let me know, what are those tools with the option of working in all the files as a virtual one and with Regular expressions for filters and for search?

Thank you

Off the top of my head, both CafeTran and DVX3 can do exactly that. Both of which are way, way, way more user-friendly than Transit (which I keep trying, every few months/years).

see:

https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions (official CafeTran forum)
https://www.cafetran.com (official CafeTran website)
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/cafetranslators (old CafeTran Google group)
http://cafetranhelp.com (user-authored CafeTran help site)

Now compare the above with the Transit corporate website (http://www.star-ts.com ) (or that of memoQ, SDL or DVX). With CafeTran, development is bottom-up, rather than top-down; just the way I like it.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:58
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
OmegaT Aug 5, 2015

OmegaT accepts multiple source files and respects files and directories hierarchy. There's also a third-party script that can extract all segments from all files to a single plain-text file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tools accepting several input file or heavy input file ?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »