Ekaterina (Katia) Glass
Ekaterina (Katia) Glass
United States
Local time: 23:41
English to Russian
+ ...
Jul 7, 2015

Hello!

Can anyone share an opinion on MemSource and MemoQ? Which tool out of two do you prefer and why? As a translator or as a project manager.
If a similar discussion already exists, please post a link here.

Thanks very much in advance!

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:41
English to Russian
Memsource v. memoQ Jul 8, 2015

Memsource is a good tool for beginners. Minimum features, minmum requirements. Can do almost nothing except translation. Easy for CAT novices to learn.

memoQ is a powerful CAT tool for serious work with endless list of helping features for experienced users.

Compare: a horse (Memsource) VS Ferrari (memoQ)

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:41
English to German
Thanks! Jul 8, 2015

So, I am still on a horse, I like the horse, I think its great and it does what I need it to do. However, I have never been in the Ferrari, I assume it takes more time to learn all the features to appreciate it and I still have to be convinced that the Ferrari will give me added value.

There is a 45 day trail version for MemoQ (and 30 days for Trados I believe), but I am not sure whether this will be enough time to learn and explore all the features as I wouldn't want to use it for
... See more
So, I am still on a horse, I like the horse, I think its great and it does what I need it to do. However, I have never been in the Ferrari, I assume it takes more time to learn all the features to appreciate it and I still have to be convinced that the Ferrari will give me added value.

There is a 45 day trail version for MemoQ (and 30 days for Trados I believe), but I am not sure whether this will be enough time to learn and explore all the features as I wouldn't want to use it for real projects with tight deadlines. After that time there is a free version of MemoQ with limited features (e.g. can't align documents), but I wonder whether that will still be fit for purpose.

I did install Wordfast Anywhere (I have it on my bookmarks bar), but found Memsource easier to use.

[Edited at 2015-07-08 10:56 GMT]
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
To be or not to be Jul 8, 2015

Ekaterina Glass wrote:
Can anyone share an opinion on MemSource and MemoQ?

Both are good tools, in their own way. You can find my "opinion" in the form of a couple of videos I've made about each of them:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/12/23/first-steps-with-memsource/
http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2015/05/24/first-steps-with-memoq-2015/

The Memsource video is a bit old, but I plan to make a new version of it this Summer.
Ekaterina Glass wrote:
Which tool out of two do you prefer and why?

Our preference would be mostly anecdotal. What really matters is what you prefer. The best way to find out is to try them. The second best way is to watch my videos

What brought you to short-list these particular tools, if I may ask?

Also note the "official" spelling: Memsource (they changed recently) and memoQ.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Nothing to download Jul 8, 2015

Gabriele Demuth wrote:
I did download Wordfast Anywhere, but found Memsource easier to use.

Unlike Memsource, which is a "hybrid" cloud tool (local editor, online TM's and termbases), Wordfast Anywhere is 100% cloud-based, so you couldn't possibly have "dowloaded" it.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Memsource... Jul 8, 2015

has an online editor too... not just the desktop one... having said that, the online editor is terribly slow with big files...

Vaclav Balacek
Vaclav Balacek  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 08:41
English to Czech
+ ...
To: Giovani Guarnieri Aug 5, 2015

Dear Giovani,
I am contacting you on behalf of the support team of Memsource. The online editor should not be slow with big files, it is designed to perfectly deal with files of several tens of thousands of segments. Do you think you could contact us on [email protected] and provide us with some details of the problems you are facing? We are sure we would be able to help you. Thanks.

Pavel Krivda
Pavel Krivda
Czech Republic
Czech to English
+ ...
Smooth translating Aug 5, 2015

I have used both MemoQ and Memsource concurrently a number of years. Based on my experience with them and other CAT tools as well, both are powerful tools with all the features freelancers or LSPs need on an everyday basis. What I find as a great added value and a great asset of Memsource is that it is structured in a very simple and straightforward way and it is very intuitive and easy to use. If you do not want to be overwhelmed with intricacies, opt for Memsource and you will get your work do... See more
I have used both MemoQ and Memsource concurrently a number of years. Based on my experience with them and other CAT tools as well, both are powerful tools with all the features freelancers or LSPs need on an everyday basis. What I find as a great added value and a great asset of Memsource is that it is structured in a very simple and straightforward way and it is very intuitive and easy to use. If you do not want to be overwhelmed with intricacies, opt for Memsource and you will get your work done, painlessly and with the same result.

[Edited at 2015-08-05 17:36 GMT]
Collapse

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
It's over? Aug 5, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Also note the "official" spelling: Memsource (they changed recently) and memoQ.

So it's over, the CamelCase naming era, which started when CodeWritingDevelopers who also were in charge of the MarketingDepartment created names of software tools?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iABFZGzEjY

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
@Vaclav Aug 6, 2015

wit the online editor, there is a lag when confirming the segment and select the following one (ctrl + enter)... not big, but it's not instantaneous like the desktop editor... i only happens with very big files... anyway, it doesn't matter, because I always use the desktop editor now...

One thing I'd like to ask you.... can you please please introduce the possibility to change the keyboard shortcuts? Pretty please! It's a pain having to adapt to Memsource ones every time!

Vaclav Balacek
Vaclav Balacek  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Web Editor Aug 7, 2015

Dear Giovanni,
Thanks for the feedback. The response time you describe should actually be independent of the file size. If you think it somehow relates to the file size, could you please contact us on [email protected] and provide some details?
With the keyboard shortcuts - this is part of our plans for future development.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
@Vaclav Aug 7, 2015

I can't reveal anything about the files, I'm afraid... all I can say, it works fine with little files (few hundreds words), bigger files - in the region of a few thousand words - it slows down... have a go... if it behaves normally, then it must be my files...

Thanks for the extra info about the keyboard shortcuts...

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
@Vaclav Sep 10, 2015

after further tests, I've come to the conclusion that both the online and the offline editors pause when searching TMs and TermBases... it's even worse if a customised MT engine is added... it really depends... sometimes it's quick for a few segment, but then it stalls... taking maybe 5 seconds to apply a match... not sure what the cause of this is...

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
well... Sep 11, 2015

seems fine now... very quick! Not sure if it was a temporary server problem or you did something to it...

Huw Watkins
Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Memsource - absolute rubbish for an advanced translator requiring time saving features Oct 28, 2015

This is the feedback I sent to a client after my first and second unfortunate encounter with Memsource, which really doesn't deserve the name CAT tool:

1) Complete lack of processing numbers automatically in terms of auto-confirming into the TM. I lost quite a lot of time trying to play with filters in order to batch confirm and the process was cumbersome and, in my opinion, not within the scope of the job I was being paid for. (In the second job, the numbers were not even pretransl
... See more
This is the feedback I sent to a client after my first and second unfortunate encounter with Memsource, which really doesn't deserve the name CAT tool:

1) Complete lack of processing numbers automatically in terms of auto-confirming into the TM. I lost quite a lot of time trying to play with filters in order to batch confirm and the process was cumbersome and, in my opinion, not within the scope of the job I was being paid for. (In the second job, the numbers were not even pretranslated into the target segment...)

2) Complete lack of processing 100% and 101% matches in terms of auto-confirming into the TM. Like the numbers, they appeared in the pretranslation, but only a very few segments were assigned a % in the xliff files themselves. This rendered filtering impossible and thus batch confirming was not an option. As some matches were assigned 100% or 101% status, I assumed you were not certain of the segments that were not assigned a % and I therefore proof read them – huge amount of extra time and work and, again, not within the scope of the job I was being paid for. If this is a bug in Memsource, it is a big one and if I had the choice I would not use this tool again for this alone. If it is something that is easily fixed then I would highly recommend auto-confirming 100% and 101% matches at the pretranslation stage itself.

3) There is a complete lack of ability to change settings ‘under the hood’. This not only emphasised the issues raised in points 1 and 2, but also meant I could not add a TB to the project. Using a TB properly can save a lot of time with repeated terms and phrases. Studio’s autosuggest feature is a notable example. I also think that memoQ now has a similar feature too, although I’m not hugely familiar with that tool. Furthermore it meant I was not able to use and leverage any of my own TMs, TBs, MTs for this project etc etc etc. Also I now do not have a TM of the work I did on this project for future leverage as I am unable to export a TMX.

4) Some more clunky user friendliness – i.e. inserting suggestions from concordance searches was not intuitive, having to delete an entire segment before being able to insert a better segment match and so on. Lesser issues perhaps - but all impact on productivity to varying degrees.

In short, I have hated my experience thus far with Memsource. I know it's free, but I can see why - I'd rather pay and get a decent CAT tool.

Huw

[Edited at 2015-10-29 09:15 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemSource vs. MemoQ

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »