Thread poster: MartaJ
MartaJ
MartaJ
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:12
English to Polish
Jul 5, 2015

Hi,

I am considering a purchase of a translating software. I was looking into Word Fast Trados and STAR, I am not sure yet which one would be more efficient, hi-tech and better developed as a translating tool. Before I decide on this issue, I need your advice whether any of these two softwares is compatible with Linux and/or Safari (Apple Macbooks). If the case is that none of the softwares works with these two computer softwares, I will have to decide on buying a new computer/lapto
... See more
Hi,

I am considering a purchase of a translating software. I was looking into Word Fast Trados and STAR, I am not sure yet which one would be more efficient, hi-tech and better developed as a translating tool. Before I decide on this issue, I need your advice whether any of these two softwares is compatible with Linux and/or Safari (Apple Macbooks). If the case is that none of the softwares works with these two computer softwares, I will have to decide on buying a new computer/laptop. Since I am relatively new in translations but with a fairly long experience in interpreting, I need some reassurance on matters related to technology. I hope somebody competent can share a piece of advice.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Regards
Marta Jeziorska
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
CafeTran runs on Linux, OS X and Windows Jul 5, 2015

MartaJ wrote:

Hi,

I am considering a purchase of a translating software. I was looking into Word Fast Trados and STAR, I am not sure yet which one would be more efficient, hi-tech and better developed as a translating tool. Before I decide on this issue, I need your advice whether any of these two softwares is compatible with Linux and/or Safari (Apple Macbooks). If the case is that none of the softwares works with these two computer softwares, I will have to decide on buying a new computer/laptop. Since I am relatively new in translations but with a fairly long experience in interpreting, I need some reassurance on matters related to technology. I hope somebody competent can share a piece of advice.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Regards
Marta Jeziorska

Hi Marta,

Despite the fact that you mentioned only Wordfast, Trados and STAR, I suggest you try CafeTran instead. It is cheaper than any of these (especially Star!, which is absolutely horrible, by the way) and runs on Linux, OS X and Windows, so no need for a new computer, no matter what kind you currently have. Not only is it cheap though, CafeTran is currently the best CAT tool on the market.

Info and trial: https://www.cafetran.com

If you have any questions, feel free to ask at the new official CafeTran forum:
https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions
or in the old Google Group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/cafetranslators

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:12
Support in Polish for CafeTran on Linux/Mac Jul 5, 2015

I'd like to add: Since the developer is from Kolobrzeg, you'll get excellent support in Polish for CafeTran on Linux, OS X and Windows.

Here's CafeTran in the experimental Green Tea theme on Mac:

[Edited at 2015-07-05 18:11 GMT]

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:12
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Read this Jul 5, 2015

www.linuxfortranslators.org

MartaJ
MartaJ
United Kingdom
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Jul 5, 2015

Thank you very much. These were most helpful answers Michael Beijer and 2nI.

Kind regards
Marta

Oscar Rivera
Oscar Rivera
Hungary
Local time: 06:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
You might want to check OmegaT Aug 8, 2015

esperantisto wrote:

www.linuxfortranslators.org

It can work on Linux. You can download it from here: http://www.omegat.org/en/dl_overview.php

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translation software for Linux

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »