Thread poster: jmutka
jmutka
jmutka
United States
Local time: 06:11
Finnish to English
+ ...
May 22, 2015

just started playing with machine translations on trados studio 2014.

for someone else in my shoes, a helpful overview is at:
http://salthatten.blogspot.com/2015/03/google-translate-api-and-mymemory-in.html

tack så mycket, salthatten.

so far i only installed the my memory plugin, which is basically gTranslate+.<
... See more
just started playing with machine translations on trados studio 2014.

for someone else in my shoes, a helpful overview is at:
http://salthatten.blogspot.com/2015/03/google-translate-api-and-mymemory-in.html

tack så mycket, salthatten.

so far i only installed the my memory plugin, which is basically gTranslate+.

only - i often have to work offline, and/or prep files for other linguists, so i'd like to have a way to batch-pre-populate the work document with the best suggestions my memory (or gTranslate) offers.

how to do this? - at least on my machine the batch pre-populate does NOT populate with mymemory results even if they're coming up one by one if i'm interactively working on the file.

has someone figured out how to do what i'd like?

[Edited at 2015-05-22 16:00 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:11
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
CafeTran can do what you need. May 22, 2015

Hi jmutka,

In the Google Translate or Microsoft Translator pane in CafeTran, right-click and select: "Create TMX Memory". This will send your entire project to either of the online MT providers and save the results in a TMX file, which you can then use later when you have no internet connection.

"Using MT services offline

Here is a feature that commuters, frequent flyers and privileged translators who have a ‘dača’ in the countryside will appreciate:

When you know that you will have limited access to the internet and still want to use an MT service, you can let CafeTran create a TM that contains Machine Translations of all the segments in your project (while you still have full access to the internet). You can create up to three TMs (for Google Translate, Bing Translator and MyMemory).

How to use this feature:

Create a new translation project or open an existing project.
Make sure that an MT service is active in the tabbed pane.
Right-click at the MT online service pane to create a TMX memory in one pass:" (http://cafetranhelp.com/using-machine-translation )

[This feature was introduced on 2015-01-03. See http://cafetranhelp.com/changelog ]

Michael

jmutka
jmutka
United States
Finnish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
this query was about sdl studio 2014, but the moderator had moved it out of the sdl section May 22, 2015

don't know cafetran, but maybe i'll take a look.

cheers.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:11
Finnish to French
Restrictions of MyMemory API May 23, 2015

jmutka wrote:
how to do this? - at least on my machine the batch pre-populate does NOT populate with mymemory results even if they're coming up one by one if i'm interactively working on the file.

Chances are the MyMemory API has restrictions other than those officially mentioned. Use the "real" thing (Google Translate API) and you will be able to batch translate large documents without problems.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:11
Finnish to French
OP wants MyMemory May 23, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:
In the Google Translate or Microsoft Translator pane in CafeTran,

The OP said he wanted to use MyMemory, probably because he's too cheap to go for Google Translate and/or doesn't like (or know) Microsoft Translator.

Can CafeTran batch translate long documents with MyMemory? Probably not: the API is the same for all tools. You would need the tool to add a suitable pause after each segment being queried, to pose as a "human".

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Using the MyMemory API (in CafeTran and other CAT tools) May 23, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:
In the Google Translate or Microsoft Translator pane in CafeTran,

The OP said he wanted to use MyMemory, probably because he's too cheap to go for Google Translate and/or doesn't like (or know) Microsoft Translator.

Can CafeTran batch translate long documents with MyMemory? Probably not: the API is the same for all tools. You would need the tool to add a suitable pause after each segment being queried, to pose as a "human".

Igor gave us the following info to use the MyMemory plugin inside CT:

"MyMemory API parameters: [email protected]"

This increases the limit from 1,000 words/day to 10,000 words/day.

See: http://mymemory.translated.net/doc/usagelimits.php ...

"Provide a valid email ('de' parameter), where we can reach you in case of troubles, and enjoy 10000 words/day.

Are you a CAT tool maker? Get whitelisted! Write us and get 30000 words/day!*

* Note for developers:
Please bear in mind that we are eager to include in whitelisting program only estabilished projects of interest (have a look at "Most popular CAT tools" under CAT section, to get an idea of required market share).
Personal projects or "in development" stuff never qualify for the whitelisting.
Requests failing in complying with such minimum directive will be disregarded."

See also:

http://mymemory.translated.net/doc/QUOTAREACHED
https://www.mashape.com/translated/mymemory-translation-memory/pricing (apparently, you can increase this quota by paying, just like with GT & MT). the "Basic" plan looks interesting: "10,000/ month
$0.01 PER EXTRA" (not sure why it says "10000/month" there though, as the free option with email (with "de" parameter) is "10,000/day").

[Edited at 2015-05-23 11:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-05-23 11:16 GMT]

-------------------------- •••
PS: Okay, so I just ran the feature in CafeTran to create a TMX for your entire project using an online MT provider – in this case using the MyMemory plugin – and it worked, for my entire 9000-word document!

[Edited at 2015-05-23 11:23 GMT]

jmutka
jmutka
United States
Finnish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OP is ok with google, microsoft, whatnot - as long as they deliver the goods May 23, 2015

i started with MyMemory as that was the plugin i already had, and in theory it adds a layer of wisdom over gTranslate.

i can pay google for their goodies, but didn't yet have time to deal with it. someone wrote somewhere that getting the API working is a bit involved.

cafetran sounds good, i will give it a go. originally, though, i was looking for something that'd do a machine-batch straight onto my (sdl)xliff without the extra steps of a TMX generation/import. this wou
... See more
i started with MyMemory as that was the plugin i already had, and in theory it adds a layer of wisdom over gTranslate.

i can pay google for their goodies, but didn't yet have time to deal with it. someone wrote somewhere that getting the API working is a bit involved.

cafetran sounds good, i will give it a go. originally, though, i was looking for something that'd do a machine-batch straight onto my (sdl)xliff without the extra steps of a TMX generation/import. this would also be good as the machine translations would only enter the project TM after they'd been edited, in case of only one TM in use.

but i guess i'm out of luck on that one.

continued cheers.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
CafeTran can handle both SDL's .sdlxliff + .sdlppx formats May 23, 2015

jmutka wrote:

cafetran sounds good, i will give it a go. originally, though, i was looking for something that'd do a machine-batch straight onto my (sdl)xliff without the extra steps of a TMX generation/import. this would also be good as the machine translations would only enter the project TM after they'd been edited, in case of only one TM in use.

but i guess i'm out of luck on that one.

continued cheers.

CafeTran can handle both SDL's .sdlxliff + .sdlppx formats, so you could open one of them in CT, batch-translate the whole thing with the feature I mentioned (granted, you will have to go via a generated TMX, but it'd only be an extra step or two), and then import your .sdlxliff into Studio to continue translating.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

workflow to pre-populate an xliff with gTranslate or my memory results

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »