EL_isa
EL_isa
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:11
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 3, 2015

Dear All,

I have little experience with Translation Technology and was reading about AntConc - actually, I have downloaded and tried to use it too. As far as I have seen, this tool seems to be able only to spot the same word reiterated in the text but not to spot words with different endings but belonging to the same grammar category (e.g. imperative verbs 3rd person singular - the Italian "Lei" politeness form). I see this is quite a different task. Any software to do that?
... See more
Dear All,

I have little experience with Translation Technology and was reading about AntConc - actually, I have downloaded and tried to use it too. As far as I have seen, this tool seems to be able only to spot the same word reiterated in the text but not to spot words with different endings but belonging to the same grammar category (e.g. imperative verbs 3rd person singular - the Italian "Lei" politeness form). I see this is quite a different task. Any software to do that?
I am aware of my inexperience, so any comment is more than welcome!!
Thank you very much.
Regards.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
SynchroTerm Apr 3, 2015

You might want to give SynchroTerm a try!

Michael

http://www.terminotix.com/index.asp?name=SynchroTerm&content=item&brand=4&item=7&lang=en

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 19:11
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Regex Apr 3, 2015

El_isa wrote:
...but not to spot words with different endings but belonging to the same grammar category

I don't know anything about the Italian grammar, but you can use regular expressions in AntConc.

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2015-04-03 10:22 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Lemmata Apr 3, 2015

It looks like you want to search for lemmata only. This seems to be possible in AntConc. From the manual:

Use the lemma list options to select a lemma list. A 'lemma list' can be loaded from a file, which can
then be used to generate a lemma list instead of a word list. When the lemma list function is used, the 'lemma word form(s)' column will show the words in the corpus associated with each lemma. A lemma list can be created by specifying the 'lemma entry' follow by '->'
... See more
It looks like you want to search for lemmata only. This seems to be possible in AntConc. From the manual:

Use the lemma list options to select a lemma list. A 'lemma list' can be loaded from a file, which can
then be used to generate a lemma list instead of a word list. When the lemma list function is used, the 'lemma word form(s)' column will show the words in the corpus associated with each lemma. A lemma list can be created by specifying the 'lemma entry' follow by '->' followed by one or more 'words' that should be assigned to the lemma separated by one of more non-tokens. See the example below:
be->is, are
play->play, plays, playing, played
Note that in the example above, commas and spaces are assumed to be NOT defined as tokens. For this reason, if the lemma list available on the AntConc webpage is used, a 'dash' needs to be added to the token (word) definition for the lemma list to be processed correctly as the hyphenated words are used to the right of the lemma definition.

I searched for an Italian lemma list, couldn't find one. A search for it in Italian may be more successful.

What comes to mind is Hunspell. The Hunspell spelling dictionary consists of a set of rules (with the extension *.aff), and the actual dictionary.

The dictionary seems to provide the lemmata (for English for example:)

abbreviation/M
abdicate/DNGSn
Abelard/M
abider/M
Abidjan
ablaze
abloom
aboveground
abrader/M
Abram/M
abreaction/MS
abrogator/MS
abscond/DRSG
absinthe/MS
absoluteness/S

plus the reference to the rules in the *.aff files. I think (but I'm still experimenting with these kind of things myself) you should be able to extract the lemmata from the *.dic. Hunspell is free, and open source. I bet you can get help from the FOSS people.

Cheers,

Hans
Collapse

EL_isa
EL_isa
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
RE: Thanks and precisions Apr 3, 2015

Dear All,

Many Thanks for your replies.
As for Terminotix, I have tried to have a look at it but it seems to have similar features of AntConc, though being bilingual.
Hans, what you are suggesting could be interesting, but I feel it is not what I need (if there exist something, sorry for my ignorance in the matter). I'll now write down an example, otherwise people here would not understand. Here some of the words I should consider: "Legga, conservi, rivolga, dia, inform
... See more
Dear All,

Many Thanks for your replies.
As for Terminotix, I have tried to have a look at it but it seems to have similar features of AntConc, though being bilingual.
Hans, what you are suggesting could be interesting, but I feel it is not what I need (if there exist something, sorry for my ignorance in the matter). I'll now write down an example, otherwise people here would not understand. Here some of the words I should consider: "Legga, conservi, rivolga, dia, informi, prenda, faccia, parli, utilizzi, usi, prenda, eviti, riprenda, informi, chieda"

These are all formal imperatives (Italian "Lei"). As you can see however, they belong to different semantic fields and have two possible word endings: "a" or "i". However, this is not sufficient to spot them as "Lei" imperatives as of course in Italian there are other words ending with "a" and "i", but they are nouns, adjectives, adverbs, prepositions....All of course in the same source text.

I can spot imperative verbs, but I guess a software cannot!

Many Thanks for any idea you might have! And have a nice Easter Break (if you celebrate it).
Regards,
Elisa
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Don't give up so soon Apr 3, 2015

El_isa wrote:
...there are other words ending with "a" and "i", but they are nouns, adjectives, adverbs, prepositions

You should be able to get or compile a "lemma list" of (stems of) verbs, and run it in AntConc. You then filter the resulting list on "a" and "i" endings, using regular expressions. If those endings aren't used for other forms of the verb, you'll end up with your imperatives. I hope.

Cheers,

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

AntConc and Italian

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »