What CATs is better to use if you are given a large multi-column excel file?
Thread poster: Alexandra Liashchenko
Alexandra Liashchenko
Alexandra Liashchenko
United States
Local time: 19:55
English to Russian
+ ...
Mar 24, 2015

Hi, I have a large excel file for localization; there are multiple columns, lots of repetitions. I was able to calculate matches and quote in Memoq statistics. Now I have a question: is it a good idea to keep working with this file in memoq, since the client brought up a requirement: there should be an editing job of the original + they want to see changes I made. So, my task would be: editing an original tracking changes and translating it into English. Any thoughts?

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:55
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Simultaneously or consecutively? Mar 25, 2015

Are you going to deliver both the edited source file and the translation together or first the edited source and then (upon approval of changes) the translation?

Anyway, Excel does not have an option of tracking changes. Thus, perhaps, export the document to a bilingual RTF (let it be the document 0), save it for backup purposes, then edit it (the source column) in MS Word or OpenOffice Writer with tracking changes on and send it to the customer so that they accept (or decline) chan
... See more
Are you going to deliver both the edited source file and the translation together or first the edited source and then (upon approval of changes) the translation?

Anyway, Excel does not have an option of tracking changes. Thus, perhaps, export the document to a bilingual RTF (let it be the document 0), save it for backup purposes, then edit it (the source column) in MS Word or OpenOffice Writer with tracking changes on and send it to the customer so that they accept (or decline) changes. Then the tricky part: introducing changes to the original file. I see no way except for manual. Or, perhaps, as follows:
1. After you get a finalized version of the RTF file with the changes accepted or declined as the client wishes, make a separate document of it with the only one (source) column (let it be the document 1).
2. Import the document 1 to the project and translate it.
3. Export the document 1 to, again, a bilingual RTF (let it be the document 2).
4. Copy the target column of the document 2 to the target column of the document 0. Thus, you get translations of the finalized versions of source segments aligned with the original source segments.
5. Re-import the document 0 [1]. Thus, you’ll be able to update the TM.
6. Translate the original Excel file (almost in a wink).

[1] How to reimport a two-column RTF file after editing?
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
just do it Mar 25, 2015

If I remember correctly, in Excel 2007 and on it's possible to HIDE columns and most CATs can MARK/IGNORE untranslatable extracts, so... I don't see any problems here.

At least I was able to cope with several similar EXCEL tasks via WF classic--just remember to warn your client)

Cheers.

Bertrand Malingrey
Bertrand Malingrey  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:55
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
USe a compare add-on Mar 26, 2015

Hi,

I would keep translating in MemoQ and generate the Excel target file. Save a copy and do your proofreading on the copy, which you can then compare to the first target file using an add-on such as http://sourceforge.net/projects/spreadshcompare/ (there are plenty more of this type, it's an example.
It will generate a "track changes" report that you can send along wit
... See more
Hi,

I would keep translating in MemoQ and generate the Excel target file. Save a copy and do your proofreading on the copy, which you can then compare to the first target file using an add-on such as http://sourceforge.net/projects/spreadshcompare/ (there are plenty more of this type, it's an example.
It will generate a "track changes" report that you can send along with the files to show the editing done.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What CATs is better to use if you are given a large multi-column excel file?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »