How to create SDLRPX based on a translated SDLPPX without SDL Trados?
Thread poster: Hermesia
Hermesia
Hermesia  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:17
Member (2005)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Jan 10, 2015

Hello everybody,

I use Déjà Vu X2 (DVX2) and do not own any SDL Trados version. I myself find DVX2 quite intuitive and effective in getting my jobs done. It can work smoothly with several SDL Trados formats (ttx, sdlxliff,…) but I could not find a way to work with SDL Trados packages (SDLPPX and SDLRPX). I found an instruction on how to translate SDLPPX packages (actually locating the SDLXLIFF files within the package to translate) and tried it succesfully but I could not find a
... See more
Hello everybody,

I use Déjà Vu X2 (DVX2) and do not own any SDL Trados version. I myself find DVX2 quite intuitive and effective in getting my jobs done. It can work smoothly with several SDL Trados formats (ttx, sdlxliff,…) but I could not find a way to work with SDL Trados packages (SDLPPX and SDLRPX). I found an instruction on how to translate SDLPPX packages (actually locating the SDLXLIFF files within the package to translate) and tried it succesfully but I could not find any materials on how to convert/save the SDLPPX (after translating the sdlxliff files within) to SDLRPX. Does anybody have the same issues as mine and have a solution for this?

I appreciate your any comments and thanks in advance.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:17
Finnish to French
memoQ can create SDLRPX Jan 10, 2015

memoQ is capable of opening an SDLPPX package automatically (= without having to rename it to ZIP) and to create the return package (SDLRPX), also directly from its own interface.

I know it's not the tool you are using, but you asked how to create an SDLRPX package without Trados, and well, memoQ can do it.

However, I believe in most cases returning a translated SDLXLIFF should be sufficient. The package thing is just a convenient way for lazy PM's to save
... See more
memoQ is capable of opening an SDLPPX package automatically (= without having to rename it to ZIP) and to create the return package (SDLRPX), also directly from its own interface.

I know it's not the tool you are using, but you asked how to create an SDLRPX package without Trados, and well, memoQ can do it.

However, I believe in most cases returning a translated SDLXLIFF should be sufficient. The package thing is just a convenient way for lazy PM's to save a few seconds when receiving your translation.
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
@Dominique Jan 10, 2015

Hi Dominique,

A question to our Cat tools guru, is there any difference (except for the extension) between a SDLPPX and SDLRPX file? Sure, one is translated (or proofread) and confirmed, but anything else?

Selcuk

Hermesia
Hermesia  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:17
Member (2005)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Dominique Jan 11, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

However, I believe in most cases returning a translated SDLXLIFF should be sufficient. The package thing is just a convenient way for lazy PM's to save a few seconds when receiving your translation.

Thank you Dominique for your comment. Almost all my clients are OK with just SDLXLIFF. Just few clients have strict procedure/workflow that allow less flexibility to their PMs and translators.

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:17
Differences between PPX and RPX Jan 11, 2015

I've opened a PPX and an RPX. The differences are:

- No TMs in the RPX
- Added file types in the RPX
- Different project definition files in both packages

When we focus on the last one, when I do a file diff for both files, the number of differences is limited. Most differences are related to things as creation date, translator name, file status etc. etc. These differences can be edited quite easily.

However, I'm not sure about the differences i
... See more
I've opened a PPX and an RPX. The differences are:

- No TMs in the RPX
- Added file types in the RPX
- Different project definition files in both packages

When we focus on the last one, when I do a file diff for both files, the number of differences is limited. Most differences are related to things as creation date, translator name, file status etc. etc. These differences can be edited quite easily.

However, I'm not sure about the differences in lines that have 'GUID' before the '=':

SettingsBundleGuid="bd14e1af-857a-4339-b166-d82433327193" Version="3.0.0.0" PackageGuid="032521f7-4c3a-4237-9431-a6787182e78c"

I'm not sure that a script or something like that can generate those sequences. The fact that memoQ RPX packages can be opened in Studio, indicates that it is possible. Perhaps these sequences are randomly generated?

I think this is a task for the developer of your CAT tool
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
SDLPPX vs. SDLRPX Jan 11, 2015

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
is there any difference (except for the extension) between a SDLPPX and SDLRPX file?

Both are ZIP files, but their content is not arranged in the same way. Since I believe you have a memoQ license, I'd suggest you import a sample SDLPPX package (I'm sure you must have one somewhere), pseudotranslate it and export it to SDLRPX. Then you can inspect its content and compare it to the content of the original SDLPPX. Maybe it's possible to manually construct an SDLRPX, without Studio and without memoQ, but I don't really have an incentive to do so (since memoQ can do it for me), and I very seldom need to translate SDL files anyway.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
GUID secrets Jan 11, 2015

2nl wrote:

The fact that memoQ RPX packages can be opened in Studio, indicates that it is possible. Perhaps these sequences are randomly generated?

Probably these GUIDs are pseudo-random numbers and identify the respective files. Just change one of the digits and check whether Studio nevertheless is happy, then. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globally_unique_identifier

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
licenses Jan 11, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Since I believe you have a memoQ license...

No I don't have a memoQ or Studio license, only DVX2/3 and CafeTran here.

But I would of course invest in one of them if I ever get a large Studio or memoQ project. Final QC is important for me.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Not exactly... Jan 11, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

... because if the Project was split between many translators, and it was many files with many subfolders then this would become quite a task for any Project Manager and I certainly wouldn't thank you for sending me back the sdlxliff files!

You're right that in some cases the sdlxliff is adequate, but it really depends on the usecase.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to create SDLRPX based on a translated SDLPPX without SDL Trados?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »