Jennifer Truluck
Jennifer Truluck  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:51
French to English
+ ...
Nov 28, 2014

Hello!
I have used both MemoQ and Trado in the past as both a project manager and a translator. I have just started working for a small nonprofit company that has a math facts website used in schools. They want to localize the website, starting with Spanish and French. It's only 20K words to localize and so far I have been able to handle it with just the translators using CAT tools. However, looking forward I would like to build out a multilingual term base (like MemoQ offers). What do you
... See more
Hello!
I have used both MemoQ and Trado in the past as both a project manager and a translator. I have just started working for a small nonprofit company that has a math facts website used in schools. They want to localize the website, starting with Spanish and French. It's only 20K words to localize and so far I have been able to handle it with just the translators using CAT tools. However, looking forward I would like to build out a multilingual term base (like MemoQ offers). What do you all suggest? I would love to try the file share platform that ProZ created for Translators without Borders, but I haven't heard back about that yet.

Thank you for any feedback you may have,
Jennifer
Collapse

Taner Tanrıöver
Taner Tanrıöver  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:51
English to Turkish
+ ...
GTT Nov 29, 2014

I don't know if you've already looked into this, but you can try Google Translator Toolkit which provides most essential functions of CAT tools through a cloud-like interface. And best of all, it's 100% free!

Mihailolja
Mihailolja
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:51
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Wordfast anywhere Dec 1, 2014

Look no further than this...

http://www.wordfast.net/?whichpage=anywhere

It's free and simple. Why pay hundreds for complicated software?

Regards

Mihailo

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
non-profit doesn't mean no budget Dec 2, 2014

tanert wrote:
I don't know if you've already looked into this, but you can try Google Translator Toolkit which provides most essential functions of CAT tools through a cloud-like interface. And best of all, it's 100% free!

Just because a company is non-profit doesn't necessarily mean it has no financial resources at its disposal. If it can afford to hire a translator, it can probably afford to buy her the tools she needs in her work.
And even if no money is available for tools, there are better free options than the Google Translator Toolkit.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Multilingual termbases Dec 2, 2014

Mihailolja wrote:
Look no further than this...

http://www.wordfast.net/?whichpage=anywhere

It's free and simple. Why pay hundreds for complicated software?

The original poster listed multilingual termbases as a requirement. Wordfast Anywhere only supports bilingual glossaries.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 02:51
English to Indonesian
+ ...
For 20K words? Dec 2, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:
The original poster listed multilingual termbases as a requirement.

I wonder if it's all very relevant. Of those 20K words, how many would have to be included in that "multilingual termbase"? I'd use a database, a spreadsheet, or even a [Word/Writer] table. And I wouldn't introduce a CAT tool either. Much cheaper, especially on aspirin.

Cheers,

Hans

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 21:51
Italian to German
+ ...
OmegaT Dec 2, 2014

Hi,

Omega-T is a free open-source CAT tool with a lot of features and a quick learning curve.
A lot of document formats can be imported for translation, it uses TMX format for translation memories and simple tab-separated text files for termbases.

For translating in MS-Word, Wordfast Classic is a very versatile tool, although not free.

Greets,
Mike

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice on choosing a CAT Tool for a nonprofit

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »