Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
LF Aligner on Mac: editing alignment in Excel not reflected in TMX
Thread poster: Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:33
Finnish to French
Oct 6, 2014

I've been using the Mac version LF Aligner to align a couple of DOCX files, so far so good. When asked whether to review the alignment, I've selected Excel. I made a couple of changes (eg. joined segments with the help of the supplied Mergecells.xla macro), saved the Excel file, but when proceeding to the last step of the script (creating a TMX from the alignment), my changes weren't reflected in the TMX. Am I missing something?

[Edited at 2014-10-06 07:25 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:33
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Dominique: Oct 6, 2014

You should probably ask András!

Michael

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
@Michael Oct 6, 2014

I've noticed András is a regular contributor to these forums, so my guess is this thread will eventually grab his attention, especially since there's "LF Aligner" in the subject line. I thought other users of LF Aligner on Mac would know the answer to my question.

Let me also point the following facts about LF Aligner for Mac: 1) suggesting the use of PlusTools for reviewing isn't going to be very useful for most Mac users, as PlusTools is not compatible with Word 2011 (it is compa
... See more
I've noticed András is a regular contributor to these forums, so my guess is this thread will eventually grab his attention, especially since there's "LF Aligner" in the subject line. I thought other users of LF Aligner on Mac would know the answer to my question.

Let me also point the following facts about LF Aligner for Mac: 1) suggesting the use of PlusTools for reviewing isn't going to be very useful for most Mac users, as PlusTools is not compatible with Word 2011 (it is compatible with Word 2004, but my guess is few Mac users are using that version nowadays), 2) the Excel macro found under the Scripts folder of the Windows distribution works fine in Excel 2011, but it is not included in the Mac distribution.
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:33
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Test Oct 6, 2014

I've had that complaint from three people over the last year or so. The mac version of the aligner had about 500 downloads over that period so it must work correctly at least for some people. I went back to test, the problem didn't occur for me. Please test again to make sure that it was not user error (perhaps you forgot to save the excel file, or saved it under a different name). Make an obvious change, and save and close the excel file. Check the console window and the log for error messages.... See more
I've had that complaint from three people over the last year or so. The mac version of the aligner had about 500 downloads over that period so it must work correctly at least for some people. I went back to test, the problem didn't occur for me. Please test again to make sure that it was not user error (perhaps you forgot to save the excel file, or saved it under a different name). Make an obvious change, and save and close the excel file. Check the console window and the log for error messages.

In any case, there is a fairly easy workaround: Generate a tmx from the excel file in a separate step.
I have to say I haven't touched lf aligner in almost a year, so most of the code is pretty much Greek to me at this point. I hope I don't need to dig too deep into it. I do plan to release an update with the new eur-lex URLs in it, and there is hope for a mac version with a GUI, but that's about it.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
I tried again, same result Oct 6, 2014

Here is what the aligned folder created by LF Aligner looks like:

As you can see, the time stamp of the .xls (23:45) is later than that of the aligned_....txt (23:44). This means changes made to the Excel file didn't make it to the .txt file. At what stage should the .txt have been updated by the script?

The script said:

WARNING! Do NOT press enter here now! Close the xls and the txt and wait for the next prompt.

-> how could I possibly close the txt, since it wasn't open in the first place?! Otherwise I proceeded as instructed: didn't press Enter, made changes to the Excel file, saved it and closed it.

[Edited at 2014-10-06 21:28 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
How to generate TMX from Excel? Oct 6, 2014

FarkasAndras wrote:
In any case, there is a fairly easy workaround: Generate a tmx from the excel file in a separate step.

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but how do you do this?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:33
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
One way: Oct 7, 2014

1. Convert the Excel to tabbed text
2. Import tabbed text into Xbench
3. Export from Xbench to TMX

Michael

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
XLS to TMX on Mac (preferably with LF Aligner) Oct 7, 2014

Thanks, Michael, but the solution I'm looking for needs to be Mac-based: for Windows, the built-in GUI editor works just fine when reviewing the alignment. Just have a look at the video I made about LF Aligner for Windows.

When András wrote going from XLS to TMX was "fairly easy", I assumed it could be done using LF Aligner. I can save the alignment part in the XLS to the tab-delimited text file (aligned_...txt), but I wouldn
... See more
Thanks, Michael, but the solution I'm looking for needs to be Mac-based: for Windows, the built-in GUI editor works just fine when reviewing the alignment. Just have a look at the video I made about LF Aligner for Windows.

When András wrote going from XLS to TMX was "fairly easy", I assumed it could be done using LF Aligner. I can save the alignment part in the XLS to the tab-delimited text file (aligned_...txt), but I wouldn't know how to instruct LF Aligner to do the one particular step from aligned_...txt to TMX.
Collapse

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes Oct 7, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:

When András wrote going from XLS to TMX was "fairly easy", I assumed it could be done using LF Aligner. I can save the alignment part in the XLS to the tab-delimited text file (aligned_...txt), but I wouldn't know how to instruct LF Aligner to do the one particular step from aligned_...txt to TMX.

Just use the tmx maker in the other tools folder. IIRC it can take both tabbed txt and xls as its input. Please test it on an xls to see if it works correctly.

So you didn't get any error message from the aligner then?
Also, please test version 2.58.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
TMX maker 2.23 did the trick, LF Aligner 2.58 didn't work Oct 8, 2014

FarkasAndras wrote:
Just use the tmx maker in the other tools folder. IIRC it can take both tabbed txt and xls as its input. Please test it on an xls to see if it works correctly.

Thanks, TMX maker 2.23 worked as expected. I was wondering whether I'd have to "clean" the Excel file (ie. delete the instructions), but it appears TMX maker was smart enough to detect the rows that contained the actual alignment, based on the number of columns.
FarkasAndras wrote:
So you didn't get any error message from the aligner then?

No, that's the thing: no error message, the script just ignored changes made in Excel and went on to use the aligned_...txt created in the previous step.
FarkasAndras wrote:
Also, please test version 2.58.

I did try version 2.58, but it didn't produce any alignment at all: it opened an empty aligned_...txt and an Excel file that only contained the instructions, but not the actual alignment. I was using exactly the same two sample docx files that version 3.12 had no problem processing. Go figure.

In any case, it looks like the working combo on Mac is LF Aligner 3.12 + TMX maker 2.23, if the alignment is to be edited, or LF Aligner 3.12 alone, if no editing is needed.

Thanks for your help, and a great tool!

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
OK Oct 8, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Thanks, TMX maker 2.23 worked as expected. I was wondering whether I'd have to "clean" the Excel file (ie. delete the instructions), but it appears TMX maker was smart enough to detect the rows that contained the actual alignment, based on the number of columns.

So, did the tmx maker make good TMs out of xls files? If yes, that means that the xls->txt conversion itself works and the bug in 3.12 should be easy to fix.

Dominique Pivard wrote:

I did try version 2.58, but it didn't produce any alignment at all: it opened an empty aligned_...txt and an Excel file that only contained the instructions, but not the actual alignment. I was using exactly the same two sample docx files that version 3.12 had no problem processing. Go figure.

Probably some bug in docx conversion that was subsequently fixed. Please test 2.58 on txt files (editing the alignment in excel) to see if the xls->txt conversion in that one works correctly.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
split-sentences.perl: Permission denied Oct 8, 2014

FarkasAndras wrote:
Probably some bug in docx conversion that was subsequently fixed. Please test 2.58 on txt files (editing the alignment in excel) to see if the xls->txt conversion in that one works correctly.

I used the .txt files generated from the .docx by v. 3.12 and here is what I got:
- sv: 26 segments, 383 words, 2848 chars
-------------------------------------------------
sh: /Users/dominique/Desktop/aligner/scripts/sentence_splitter/split-sentences.perl: Permission denied
-------------------------------------------------
sh: /Users/dominique/Desktop/aligner/scripts/sentence_splitter/split-sentences.perl: Permission denied

Segment numers before and after segmentation:
File 1 (fi): 25 -> 0
File 2 (sv): 26 -> 0

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Tried again, empty alignment Oct 8, 2014

I tried again, this time with .txt files saved as UTF-8 from .docx in Word. LF Aligner opened an empty aligned_...txt and an Excel file that contained only the instructions.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Forget 2.58 Oct 9, 2014

I'm not sure why you're getting permission denied on the sentence segmenter but it's not worth troubleshooting as it's an old version anyway.

Let's forget 2.58 and focus on this:

FarkasAndras wrote:

Dominique Pivard wrote:

So, did the tmx maker make good TMs out of xls files? If yes, that means that the xls->txt conversion itself works and the bug in 3.12 should be easy to fix.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
xlsx -> txt good in TMX maker 2.23 Oct 9, 2014

Yes, I already said that TMX maker 2.23 (as included in LF Aligner 3.12) could handle the xlsx -> txt conversion, since I obtained a TMX that reflected the changes I had made in Excel.

So if you could somehow incorporate the xlsx -> txt -> tmx routine from TMXmaker 2.23 into LF Aligner and release the whole thing as a new version, this would be perfect (for Mac users).

At the same time, do include Mergecells.xla into the Mac distribution, since it works (in Excel 2011)
... See more
Yes, I already said that TMX maker 2.23 (as included in LF Aligner 3.12) could handle the xlsx -> txt conversion, since I obtained a TMX that reflected the changes I had made in Excel.

So if you could somehow incorporate the xlsx -> txt -> tmx routine from TMXmaker 2.23 into LF Aligner and release the whole thing as a new version, this would be perfect (for Mac users).

At the same time, do include Mergecells.xla into the Mac distribution, since it works (in Excel 2011) just like in Windows. You may also want to add a note that PlusTools is not compatible with Word 2011. In other words, Excel should be the preferred way to review alignment in Mac (PlusTools only work with Word 2004 and older).

FarkasAndras wrote:
Let's forget 2.58 and focus on this:
FarkasAndras wrote:
Dominique Pivard wrote:

Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

LF Aligner on Mac: editing alignment in Excel not reflected in TMX

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »