Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What's are Good Lightweight Translation Softwares?
Thread poster: Paul999
Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 10:21
English to Italian
+ ...
Bear in mind that Jun 3, 2014

Michael Beijer wrote:

CafeTran can handle pretty much any file format, even packages and project files of other CAT tools, such as SDL and Transit packages, so there is no need to buy what the agency strongly suggests you buy. Oh yeah, and CT only costs €80.

Michael

It's true many CATS are interoperable in terms of formats. However, many companies (and their techs) realize pretty quick the translation wasn't done with the CAT they have requested. Some request specific CATs out of a "fashion" in a sort of foggy confusion on what they should use. So they go for the standard stuff.
Others, have serious requirements and compatibility issues. So what you translate happily with your third party CAT (compared to what you were requested) may turn out to be impossible to open with the software an agency or a customer uses. This most probably results in hours lost, company asking you why you didn't use what you were asked to use and you losing a customer (They may not be eager to use you anymore).
This is not theory. I have experienced this personally (Using a different version of Trados instead of the one requested and using MemoQ instead of Studio as specified) and to other professionals not eager to invest in industry standards.

[Edited at 2014-06-03 14:54 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:21
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
The developer is aware of the problem and working on a solution. Jun 3, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:
CafeTran supports only DOCX, not DOC, and not RTF either.

This is mostly a problem if you don't have a copy of MS-Word installed (that could be the case of most Linux users). Otherwise, it's just a question of saving your DOC/RTF as DOCX, an extra step, but not the end of the world.
Samuel Murray wrote:
CafeTran's demo mode allows 30 segments and stops working after 30 days.

I agree the overly restrictive demo mode of CafeTran unnecessarily hurts its adoption.

Hi Dominique,

Igor is aware of the problem and working on a solution!

Michael

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:21
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
the translator should decide, not the agency Jun 3, 2014

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

CafeTran can handle pretty much any file format, even packages and project files of other CAT tools, such as SDL and Transit packages, so there is no need to buy what the agency strongly suggests you buy. Oh yeah, and CT only costs €80.

Michael

It's true many CATS are interoperable in terms of formats. However, many companies (and their techs) realize pretty quick the translation wasn't done with the CAT they have requested. Some request specific CATs out of a "fashion" in a sort of foggy confusion on what they should use. So they go for the standard stuff.
Others, have serious requirements and compatibility issues. So what you translate happily with your third party CAT (compared to what you were requested) may turn out to be impossible to open with the software an agency or a customer uses. This most probably results in hours lost, company asking you why you didn't use what you were asked to use and you losing a customer (They may not be eager to use you anymore).
This is not theory. I have experienced this personally (Using a different version of Trados instead of the one requested and using MemoQ instead of Studio as specified) and to other professionals not eager to invest in industry standards.

[Edited at 2014-06-03 14:54 GMT]

Hi Enrico,

Yes, sometimes a choice needs to be made. Luckily though, I am now in a position to decide what I use myself, and so no longer have to buy SDL Studio or memoQ. If a potential client says I have to use CAT tool X (and it’s not CafeTran), I simply say:

I’m afraid I only work with CafeTran these days (because it is much better than CAT tool X).

I deliver:
(1) a final Word .docx
(2) a Project TM in .tmx format
(3) a bilingual file (table) in .docx (for reviewing purposes)
(4) q bilingual file (table) in .html
(5) a Project glossary (for an extra fee)

Michael

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:21
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I agree it doesn't really hurt Jun 3, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
CafeTran supports only DOCX, not DOC, and not RTF either.

It's just a question of saving your DOC/RTF as DOCX, an extra step, but not the end of the world.

Some of my clients send jobs with multiple files in them, and some of the files are DOC and some are DOCX (and some are RTF) and I'm supposed to deliver the files back in those formats, so having to convert the files and then remember which files to convert back is truly an extra step. But not a deal breaker.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:21
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
CafeTran's demo mode Jun 3, 2014

2nl wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
CafeTran's demo mode allows 30 segments and stops working after 30 days.

There seems to be some misunderstanding about CafeTran's demo mode. Please see ... Martin's post at the end of [this thread].

Martin's post is: In Wordfast, the maximum number of segments in demo mode is the total number of segments in a particular project. In CafeTran, you can even work on projects with more segments in trial mode (as long as you save your work and quit/restart the program every 30 segments).

I have no idea how CafeTran behaves once it reaches the 30-segment limit. I simply looked at what was written on the web site. I don't understand what Martin says about Wordfast, though -- WFC doesn't have "projects" (perhaps he was talking about WFP).

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:21
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
WFC Jun 3, 2014

Wordfast Classic is one of the fastest that I've found. Just press Alt-Down arrow and you're on your way.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:21
Finnish to French
Misunderstanding about Wordfast demo mode Jun 3, 2014

Samuel Murray wrote:
Martin's post is: In Wordfast, the maximum number of segments in demo mode is the total number of segments in a particular project. In CafeTran, you can even work on projects with more segments in trial mode (as long as you save your work and quit/restart the program every 30 segments).

I have no idea how CafeTran behaves once it reaches the 30-segment limit. I simply looked at what was written on the web site. I don't understand what Martin says about Wordfast, though -- WFC doesn't have "projects" (perhaps he was talking about WFP).

You don't understand Martin's post because it's non-sense: in demo mode, Wordfast will let you translate as many segments as you want; it will only let store a limited number of segments in any given TM; that limit is about 500 segment pairs in Wordfast Pro and about 1000 segment pairs in Wordfast Classic. With 500/1000 segments, you can already translate medium-size jobs (the kind that will keep you busy for several days), unlike with the pathetic limit of 30 segments in CafeTran's demo mode. And even if you reach that limit, nothing prevents you from creating a second TM, in which you can store another 500 (or 1000, depending on which Wordfast you're trying) segment pairs. Obviously, you won't be able to leverage more than 500/1000 segment pairs at a time, but you can still continue to translate, for as long as you want. As I said, CafeTran is mostly shooting itself in the foot with its current demo policy.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's are Good Lightweight Translation Softwares?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »