Thread poster: Patricia Lucanera
Patricia Lucanera
Patricia Lucanera
Local time: 18:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 23, 2004

Hi, all

I´ve been desperately trying to work out how to translate using SDL (today, for the first time, with something due tomorrow!) and I´ve made some progress but I´d appreciate more experienced colleagues tips!! I´ve tried SDLx.com and the help there, but it won´t open, especially (and Murphy´s Law more than ever!) SDL Edit.

My question is: There are yellow, blue and pink parts in the source text. What am I supposed to do with them when I translate them?
... See more
Hi, all

I´ve been desperately trying to work out how to translate using SDL (today, for the first time, with something due tomorrow!) and I´ve made some progress but I´d appreciate more experienced colleagues tips!! I´ve tried SDLx.com and the help there, but it won´t open, especially (and Murphy´s Law more than ever!) SDL Edit.

My question is: There are yellow, blue and pink parts in the source text. What am I supposed to do with them when I translate them?

Thank UUUUUUUUUUU!!!!
Collapse

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Format Nov 23, 2004

Those colors represent various format specifications. You have to match the one in the source text with those in the target text. In the help files, this is called "format paint" or "format painting".

You'll encounter a section about "format paint mode": don't go into that for now, it's a more advanced feature.

Hope this helps,
Esther

Patricia Lucanera
Patricia Lucanera
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot! Nov 23, 2004

Thanks a lot for your help, Esther, I´ll see what I can do.

Pat

Esther Pfeffer wrote:

Those colors represent various format specifications. You have to match the one in the source text with those in the target text. In the help files, this is called "format paint" or "format painting".

You'll encounter a section about "format paint mode": don't go into that for now, it's a more advanced feature.

Hope this helps,
Esther

Daniela Ballif (X)
Daniela Ballif (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:34
English to Albanian
+ ...
SDLX Nov 23, 2004

Hello,

I had the same problem when I used SDLX for the first time. I contacted someone at SDLX and here the link she emailed me. It help me a lot, so I hope it helps you as well.

"Thank you for your call this afternoon. Here is the direct link where you may view more detailed information about format painting and index
... See more
Hello,

I had the same problem when I used SDLX for the first time. I contacted someone at SDLX and here the link she emailed me. It help me a lot, so I hope it helps you as well.

"Thank you for your call this afternoon. Here is the direct link where you may view more detailed information about format painting and index markers within SDLX: http://www.sdl.com/files/Documentation/SDLX/2003/pdf/How_to_Format_P aint_in_SDLX_2003.pdf"

Best,
Daniela
Collapse

Patricia Lucanera
Patricia Lucanera
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Nov 24, 2004

Hi, Daniela, thanks a lot for answering. I couldn´t get into the site anyway, and I wasn´t any luckier when _I tried to get into SDLX help texts, but I could download a pdf version that I haven´t read yet.

Daniela wrote:

Hello,

"Thank you for your call this afternoon. Here is the direct link where you may view more detailed information about format painting and index markers within SDLX: http://www.sdl.com/files/Documentation/SDLX/2003/pdf/How_to_Format_P aint_in_SDLX_2003.pdf"

Best,
Daniela

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with SDL Edit

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »