BordoTranslate
BordoTranslate
France
Local time: 02:02
French to English
+ ...
Mar 27, 2014

Hello
I am looking in investing in a CAT tool and would appreciate feedback about whether a financial investment is worthwhile? What are your experiences of SDL Trados? Does it merit the financial investment over other tools? Is it worth the investment to compared to free, online tools such as Wordfast Anywhere and why?
Many thanks in advance of your feedback!
BordoTranslate

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
For me, WF is best Mar 27, 2014

Emily Fiennes wrote:

... Does it merit the financial investment over other tools? Is it worth the investment to compared to free, online tools such as Wordfast Anywhere and why?
Many thanks in advance of your feedback!
BordoTranslate

I don't think that Trados is worth all the hassle, because it costs too much and takes to long to learn how to use it. If you look at the forums you will see that most of the technical questions or appeals for help are from Trados users.

I use Wordfast Classic instead and am happy with it, although I'm not so keen on WF Pro or Anywhere.

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
CAT tool that you can use without an internet connection Mar 27, 2014

With CafeTran you can work without an internet connection. It processes Wordfast, Studio and memoQ projects (and Word, Excel etc.).

If you decide to switch to a Mac or Linux machine, you can use your CafeTran license there too.

80 €, tested thoroughly

Hans
CafeTran user

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Software comparison tool review Mar 27, 2014

You can see a lot of information on many tools, including links to tutorials, free trials, ProZ.com user reviews and more at http://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool

Regards,

Drew

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:02
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Another happy CafeTran user here. Mar 28, 2014

Hi Emily,

Another happy CafeTran user here. Only €80, and the best CAT tool on the market today, and I have tried them all.

If you have any questions just pop over to the CafeTran mailing list: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/cafetranslators

or have a look at the help site we are currently trying to create (with a small team of volunteers): http://cafetranhelp.com/

Wordbook.nl

Michael

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 03:02
English to Turkish
+ ...
CT screen Mar 28, 2014

Luckily this is not the default CafeTran layout! Michael, nobody will test CafeTran after this screenshot

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:02
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
{infinitely adjustable} Mar 28, 2014

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Luckily this is not the default CafeTran layout! Michael, nobody will test CafeTran after this screenshot

Ha ha, says who? It is so very obviously The One True Layout.

I’m just way ahead of my time

Here is the default one (for all the unbelievers):

Wordbook.nl

1 The Grid
2 The Source Segment Box
3 The Target Segment Box
4 The Tabbed Pane

... and a few others (CafeTran is infinitely adjustable): http://cafetranhelp.com/the-screen-elements

Michael

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Now with visual character formatting in the grid Mar 28, 2014

Michael, now there is visual character formatting in the grid.

Tags are still available in:

2 The Source Segment Box
3 The Target Segment Box

Hans

[Edited at 2014-03-28 20:04 GMT]

BordoTranslate
BordoTranslate
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 29, 2014

Many thanks for your replies, screenshots and links

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tools - which tool?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »