How can I use TEKPassolo2TTX or TEKPassolo2TMX
Thread poster: Redwings
Redwings
Redwings
South Korea
Dec 30, 2013

Hello,

When working on translation via Passolo 2011, I usually use "Check translation" for QA work.

But I should do more for it, and I found there is a software that can change passolo translation bundle to ttx or tmx file.

I downloaded TEKPassolo2TTX from web, but it has only 'TEKPassolo2TTX.bas' file. I don't know what to do with it.

So, if you know how to use bas file or have experience on using this software, please tell me how to do it.... See more
Hello,

When working on translation via Passolo 2011, I usually use "Check translation" for QA work.

But I should do more for it, and I found there is a software that can change passolo translation bundle to ttx or tmx file.

I downloaded TEKPassolo2TTX from web, but it has only 'TEKPassolo2TTX.bas' file. I don't know what to do with it.

So, if you know how to use bas file or have experience on using this software, please tell me how to do it.

Thank you,
Collapse

Andrei Shmatkov
Andrei Shmatkov  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:23
English to Russian
+ ...
it is a macro Dec 31, 2013

Judging by the extension you got a macro file. I have never worked with this particular macro, but I can tell you how to use macros in Passolo in general. Copy the file TEKPassolo2TTX.bas to Macros folder in Passolo (by default it is C:\Users\Public\Documents\Passolo Translator\2011\Macros). Then select Tools -> Macros. The list of available macros will be displayed. Choose TEKPassolo2TTX.bas and press Run button. Hopefully it will do the trick.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:23
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not sure either Dec 31, 2013

Redwings wrote:

I found the file here:
http://e-verifika.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/TEKPassolo2TTX.zip

Perhaps someone here can identify it. The file header says:

'#Reference {BEE4BFEC-6683-3E67-9167-3C0CBC68F40A}#2.0#0#C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.tlb#System
''Export files to TTX document for processing in a TM system
''Import translated TTX documents
' -------------------------------
' Version 1.1 Laszlo Kovacs ([email protected]) 29 May 2013.
' -------------------------------
' Macro executes on:
' Projects Active/opened translation bundles.
' Source lists N/A
' Target lists ALL
' ===============================

The only mention of this file on the web is from a MemoQ Yahoogroup:
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/memoQ/conversations/topics/24586
(you have to unfold the conversation several times to get to the real stuff)

It would appear to me that you should place the BAS file in the same folder as the Passolo file, and then execute the BAS file. I'm not sure what program you should use to execute the BAS file -- Passolo itself, or MemoQ, or perhaps some .NET utility in Windows.

When working on translation via Passolo 2011, I usually use "Check translation" for QA work. ... But I should do more for it...

I take it, then, that you want to perform extra QA steps on an existing translation. I hope that the TEK script exports both source and target for you. I also work on Passolo files outside of Passolo, but it may not be useful to you because there is no easy way of getting the text back into Passolo. So you can do QA but then you'd have to fix the segments manually in Passolo.

I wish I had a non-confidential Passolo file so that I can shoot a video about it.

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Andrei's method works Dec 31, 2013

Thanks!

It is easy to copy Passolo strings and paste into Excel or dump them into a glossary, but very long strings and strings with line breaks cause problems. Instead of importing anything back to Passolo, it is enough to use the same TM, although it should probably be paragraph-based.

[Edited at 2013-12-31 11:27 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
My method Dec 31, 2013

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:
It is easy to copy Passolo strings and paste into Excel or dump them into a glossary, but very long strings and strings with line breaks cause problems.

That is why I use a little AutoIt script that removes the line breaks. You can find it here:

http://wikisend.com/download/956420/passolo2tabs%20v2.zip

Instead of importing anything back to Passolo, it is enough to use the same TM, although it should probably be paragraph-based.

Using the TM to "retranslate" the file is a valid idea, although I would like to know how that affects things like segment status, and whether Passolo's re-translation process penalises itself for e.g. case-sensitivity and tag mismatching.

When I do translations outside of Passolo and then put it back again, I copy/paste one segment at a time back into Passolo... using a little script that simplifies it. It is here:

http://wikisend.com/download/419240/tranzvoo%20v2%20(passolo).zip

Let me know if you have any questions.

Redwings
Redwings
South Korea
TOPIC STARTER
Andrei's method works, too Jan 2, 2014

Andrei, your method works. I copied these bas files to Passolo's macro folder, then I found them in Tools > Macro menu. Converting to TTX doesn't work though(I opened it, it is asked that INI file is required, but there is no INI generated), but to TMX and XLIFF works well. Thank you.

Samuel, so if I convert this Passolo bundle to XLIFF for QA, then there is no way to have the corrected back to original Passolo file? If right, it would be useful just to create QA report or something
... See more
Andrei, your method works. I copied these bas files to Passolo's macro folder, then I found them in Tools > Macro menu. Converting to TTX doesn't work though(I opened it, it is asked that INI file is required, but there is no INI generated), but to TMX and XLIFF works well. Thank you.

Samuel, so if I convert this Passolo bundle to XLIFF for QA, then there is no way to have the corrected back to original Passolo file? If right, it would be useful just to create QA report or something.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Redwings Jan 2, 2014

Redwings wrote:
Converting to TTX doesn't work though (I opened it, it is asked that INI file is required, but there is no INI generated), but to TMX and XLIFF works well.

It sounds like you're saying that converting to TTX does work, but you can't use that method because you can't edit the TTX file in TagEditor without the INI file, is that right?

Samuel, so if I convert this Passolo bundle to XLIFF for QA, then...

You're asking the wrong person -- I have no experience or knowledge about XLIFF and Passolo.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 01:23
English to Turkish
+ ...
you create the .ini file Jan 2, 2014

It is easy to create the .ini file in tageditor, just make sure to give the same name to the ini file, e.g. aaa_en.ttx and aaa_en.ini.

Selcuk

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Selcuk Jan 2, 2014

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
It is easy to create the .ini file in TagEditor. Just make sure to give the same name to the ini file, e.g. aaa_en.ttx and aaa_en.ini.

I've never heard this advice before. And the INI files that I use in TagEditor never have the same name as the TTX file(s) that I translate. And if a TTX file uses an INI file that is specific to that TTX file, then you can't just use TagEditor to "create" it (that is my experience).

What are the steps that you would use to create the INI file in TagEditor?

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
ini Jan 2, 2014

Hi Samuel,

Same name applies to files created by TEKPassolo2TTX macro only. Possibly the macro adds the location / name of the ini file in the ttx file.

You use the TTX file as a sample file to create your ini file in TagEditor. I don't remember the details unfortunately.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Selcuk Jan 2, 2014

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
Possibly the macro adds the location / name of the ini file in the ttx file.

It probably does, yes. The OP should simply open the TTX file in a text editor and look for ".ini" to see whether the TTX file specifies an INI file, and where it expects to find that INI file.

Redwings
Redwings
South Korea
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe TTX converting may not work Jan 3, 2014

Hello, everyone

I tried to open converted TTX file in Tageditor, but it wasn't opened.
I also tried it with generating INI and opening in MemoQ, but both didn't work.
When opening it with INI, every target text is broken and I cannot open segments cause they are locked as "XU".
And opening in MemoQ, there was no text appeared.

Maybe I should use Passolo2Xliff macro for external QA.

Thanks for your replies.

Nadiia and Vatslav Yehurnovy
Nadiia and Vatslav Yehurnovy
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
But maybe it works :) Feb 14, 2014

Redwings wrote:

And opening in MemoQ, there was no text appeared.

Maybe I should use Passolo2Xliff macro for external QA.

Ugh. Just finished fighting with a nasty Passolo bundle.

1. We used Passolo2Xliff for quite a long time to translate the Passolo files in MemoQ.
But there were numerous occasions when something refused to import back. Usually it was just 5-6 items, no problem to copy-paste them manually.

But yesterday/today it was some 500 items, and it was really nasty. Still, it was quite fast to copy-paste first and think of global solution next

2. And then we found this topic, million thanks to Samuel Murray for finding the TEKPassolo2TTX macros. This one handles well the & " ' and other such characters (they were conspicuous to Passolo2Xliff at the import phase and caused dropping the string instead of putting back the translation), so nothing went wrong during import this time, every single segment got back in place. Hope this wasn't a one-time luck

3. The "completely translated" bundle really exports as "locked segments". Still, MemoQ 6.2 opens the ttx file OK and shows these "locked" ones. No ini file used, by the way. Abd then you can easily do Operations -> Lock/Unlock Segments... and unlock everything.

What we had:
MemoQ 6.2
Passolo translator edition 2011 SP9
Original tbulic11 file (not translated)
XLF file - we translated it, but import failed on some 500 strings
Translated tbulic11 file (with everything copy-pasted manually)
TTX file without translations (Target the same as Source) - we did Clear Translations... in MemoQ first
TTX file made from translated tbulic11 file - we updated the TM with it

And then we pre-translated the TTX file without translations in MemoQ, and used the TEKPassolo2TTX to import everything back. And it worked!!

So this is sort of a runaround to get the QA results back into Passolo with minimal effort.

And once again - million thanks to Samuel Murray!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I use TEKPassolo2TTX or TEKPassolo2TMX

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »